Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Announces The GeForce RTX 40 Series With Much Better Ray-Tracing Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WannaBeOCer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
    Why is tech journalism talking about RTX 40 series if Nvidia is not planning to launch it properly. The CEO even said it himself:

Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/453...all-transcript

I honestly I cannot comprehend why people are paying ridiculous prices for over priced products. Market manipulation cannot be more obvious at this stage. Are ignorant parents are going to be the ones saving Nvidia from the trouble that they put themselves in?
    I agree, I was shocked seeing people buy RDNA2 GPUs for Ampere pricing at launch before the mining craze. AMD stripped out a ton of functionality from RDNA compared to Vega to make a pure gaming architecture then priced it the same as Ampere. Yet gamers were still paying the same price as a GPGPU. They're not ridiculously priced considering the amount of compute performance they provide. The RTX 4090 has 100 TFlops of compute and that's not even talking about the machine learning capabilities. Look up research publications you'll see a ton of RTX consumer cards used, then try to find a RDNA GPU listed in a publication.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Why is tech journalism talking about RTX 40 series if Nvidia is not planning to launch it properly. The CEO even said it himself:

Jensen Huang

Yes. Thanks, Colette. C.J., our sell-through is off the highs in the beginning of the year, but it’s still very solid. In fact, sell-through is -- has increased 70% since pre-COVID, pre-pandemic. And so, it’s very clear that gaming is -- the fundamentals of gaming are strong, and this medium is really doing well. Not to mention the gaming platforms are being used -- our gaming PCs are being used for influencers, people sharing content, creating content, V bloggers, VTuber, there’s all kinds of new ways of engaging and spending time with video games.

Our strategy is to reduce the sell-in -- reduce the sell-in this quarter, next quarter to let channel inventory correct. Obviously, we’re off the highs, and the macro condition turned sharply worse. And so, our first strategy is to reduce sell-in in the next couple of quarters to correct channel inventory. We’ve also instituted programs to price position our current products to prepare for next-generation products.

Ampere is the most popular GPU we’ve ever created. It is in the top 15 most popular gaming GPUs on Steam. And it remains the best GPUs in the world, and it will be very successful for some time. However, we do have exciting new next-generation coming and it’s going to be layered on top of that. And so, we’ve taken -- we’ve done two things. We’ve reduced sell-in to let channel inventory correct and we’ve implemented programs with our partners to price position the products in the channel in preparation for our next generation.

All of this we anticipate were working towards a path to being in a good shape going into next year. Okay? So, that’s what our game plan is.​
    Source: https://seekingalpha.com/article/453...all-transcript

I honestly I cannot comprehend why people are paying ridiculous prices for over priced products. Market manipulation cannot be more obvious at this stage. Are ignorant parents are going to be the ones saving Nvidia from the trouble that they put themselves in?

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Nvidia makes a Linux driver because they feel like it, they throw scraps of a driver at FreeBSD and Illumos/Solaris. Without it being open source though if the OS is deemed too small for them or too hard to work with you get jack. OpenBSD and NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD just to name 3 are 3 large OS projects that have 0 Nvidia support, well NetBSD does have nouveau but that is it. I welcome Intel ARC and want to see it succeed and become at least an option on laptops. So many good *BSD laptops are held back by Nvidia graphics, ThinkPad X1 Extreme looking at you as well as the ThinkPad P series!

Leave a comment:

• superpenguin
    replied
    I found the launch quite impressive, and initially planned to upgrade to this gen from a 1080 but i can't find a product that fit me perfectly in this line up.
    - The 1080 is 180W TDP and rated for a 450W, the 4080 12gb is 285W rated for a 700W PSU (+105W TDP = +250W PSU Having a 660 platinum PSU, I would need to upgrade it even for the lowest 4080.
    - I would gladly trade less performance for less power, not just for the PSU limitation but because the environment and my electricity bill needs saving more than my FPS. Windows user can setup a precise undervolt curve but not linux users.
    - I would appreciate upgrading in vram amount too, but 10Gb -> 12Gb is not a huge upgrade, and the 4080 16Gb is even more an overkill for me beside the ram
    - While money is not a huge issue if the product is good, 1099 € for the 12 Gb does not seal the deal

Sell me a 4070 16Gb at 80% of the 4080 12Gb TDP (=230 W), that perform 80% as good for 80% of the price, and i buy.

END_OF_PERSONNAL_RAMBLING

Leave a comment:

• oleid
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    company has basically invented the modern game graphics pipeline starting with programmable shaders ending with RTX/RTRT.
    And the software is from AMD. I mean, they opened up the Mantle to create a Vulkan.

Leave a comment:

• kozman
    replied
    Originally posted by sa666666 View Post

In that photo at least, he has a face that is eminently punchable.
    Well, maybe, I dunno, not me personally. It wouldn't have been the image I would have chosen if I was the marketing department posting up that page. For all we know he was working on 2 hours of sleep or something. It's doesn't scream to me "Hey consumer, guess what? We have this new announcement about our awesome new 40 Series GPU coming out. Come hear me talk about it." It's a bit too Grumpy Cat for me. It's not the face of excitement for a product launch.

Regardless of the feelings people have about NVidia in the forums or Linux community in general, I just think a smile from the top rep of NVidia goes a long way. If you wanna get users and consumers excited about your product, don't you want a lot of smiles and teeth to kind of show how excited you are---as the CEO / Founder---about your company's new product line? Is it just me? I thought it was a business / marketing 101 kind of thing. Have you ever watched Shark Tank and seen a pitch from a person all Grumpy Cat and "Hey. Here's my thing. Stuff. Wanna invest?" No, they're usually hyper excited and all smiles and teeth to where you gotta turn down the brightness on the TV or put on some shades.

Not to belabor it or beat a dead horse but doesn't this one from the GeForce Drivers page seem...IDK, friendlier or more inviting? Comparing the two, it's apples and oranges to me. To me it says "Here's our new product. Check it out." And he's kinda mustering a smile there.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kozman; 20 September 2022, 05:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    "- Lovelace brings Shader Execution Reordering for much faster ray-tracing for rescheduling shader workloads on the fly for better efficiency. "As big of an innovation as out-of-order CPUs", says Jensen."
    That was all well and good till out-of-order & branch prediction brought us Spectre.

Leave a comment:

• sa666666
    replied
    Originally posted by kozman View Post

Glad I am not the only one who looked at it and thought the exact same thing. At least Lisa smiles.

Do they teach this shitty "Pretension Face" in all limp dick "Business" schools? "Look into my nostrils as I *appear* to be way up here and I imagine you to be somewhere way down there." SMH.

Amending: A smile goes a long way.
    In that photo at least, he has a face that is eminently punchable.

Leave a comment:

• Mahboi
    replied
    This pricing targets enterprise. I can't imagine the public is even that much of a target any longer.

Hoping for AMD to seriously damage their price positioning.

Leave a comment:

• Teggs
    replied
    In the fields of mathematics and science in general professional respect is shown by referring to a person by their last name. Kepler, Volta, Maxwell, Pascal, Turing... Nvidia would have people believe that they chose Ada Lovelace to name an architecture after out of respect for her accomplishments, but by concentrating on her gender by using her first name they show disrespect for her work as a scientist. I suppose they don't care about any damage they do to the effort to value scientific work apart from the gender of the scientist doing said work.

I believe it is correct to refer to this architecture as 'Lovelace' no matter what Nvidia says.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X