NVIDIA Doesn't Expect To Have Linux 5.9 Driver Support For Another Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynical View Post

In what sense is it not ready? In many ways it is simpler to use than the competition. Outside of specialized proprietary software made for professionals with no open-source equivalents, it seems to have covered all the important ground.

It blows my mind that I can even play games made for Windows in Linux and have them function the same. (with lower network latency even)
    In other words, if you disregard anything that's about serious work, it's all peachy

Just like Nvidia's driver wasn't built with GPL in mind (it was build to run across all supported OSes, thus reducing costs for Nvidia), Linux wasn't built for desktops. It was built to break UNIX's stranglehold on servers, which it did beautifully. Desktop usage is less than an afterthought for Linux, hence the continuing pain. Still, the experience is pretty good for an aftertought.
    At the same time, I see where birdie is coming from. Compared to Windows or macOS, which are all about the desktop, Linux desktop is full of papercuts.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Reading all the shit that's being posted here by people who are just kids trying to suck on free software as militantly as possible, because they haven't yet learned to handle their testosterone and sugar levels, hence will they always act like raging monkeys, and it makes me only shake my head in disgust. Nothing one can do about these morons but to ignore them.

But you seem a bit smarter than the rest of these morons, so I say this, there is more than just the GPL. There are many more free licenses with a non-militant stance such as the Apache License, which allow for more freedom. Maybe you'll get it and understand why I think the GPL is a sad license and that it has better ones, but the morons won't. They're fucked in the head and cannot be fixed. In short, one simply cannot expect to dictate what others should and shouldn't do, when one doesn't want it for oneself. Only idiots do. The GPL sadly is a license written by such an idiot. The GPL was a knee-jerk response by tree-hugging communist hippies who are mentally still living in the 70's, trying to fight the closed source monopoly of capitalism. We're living in better times now and need to move on from either shit. There is room for all of it and not just one or the other.
      My point is even with the "believe to be" "happy" licenses, because they allow people to diverge and proprietarize the software at will, you still end up with the same problems that lead to functional software permanently going away. But, you are right in saying at the end of the day, everyone is certainly free to do whatever they want as copyright holders with regards to how they want to license their software. In the case of a lot of the "happy" licenses, people are not looking to preserve their software, they just want to "see their name in lights" temporarily. Some people don't usually consider what happens after their time is up. Some might argue that's a selfish attitude though.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
        My point is even with the "believe to be" "happy" licenses, because they allow people to diverge and proprietarize the software at will, you still end up with the same problems that lead to functional software permanently going away. But, you are right in saying at the end of the day, everyone is certainly free to do whatever they want as copyright holders with regards to how they want to license their software. In the case of a lot of the "happy" licenses, people are not looking to preserve their software, they just want to "see their name in lights" temporarily. Some people don't usually consider what happens after their time is up. Some might argue that's a selfish attitude though.
        We didn't even have licenses for free software back then. We called it "public domain" and at best could one find the author's name in the source code. Nobody cared for IP. The IP thinking was introduced by the hippy fear mongers, who spread the belief that if your software doesn't have some license then you and your software will get owned and raped by the lawyers of the monopolist and capitalist corporate elite. So then people started including all sorts of licenses to make a statement, sort of a like protective magic spell to fight off evil. Source code had to have a license to express some kind of agenda, regardless if it was open, closed or just terrible source code.
        Last edited by sdack; 18 October 2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

sdack I sense your frustration. But I think maybe you're just a bit "over the top". I'm not saying we don't need passionate people standing up for their beliefs, just make sure you're not throwing out most of the conversation in the process. As for me, I do not consider it "fear" to want software to be available longer term. I think people would be amazed at the software that has been destroyed (permanently lost) over the years. But yes, there can be "agendas", even when there is good intent.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

Only in your stupid head. Thankfully, Linux proved to be superior in comparison to closed source broken mess and even m$ can't live without Linux. It was noticed many times you're a freak.
            you could have asked him how many unicorns use linux as a core component or how many Fortunes 500 companies there are which use 0 GPL Software. There won’t be any. Even if you strike out all web services which are not part of the a core delivery of their product.
            Last edited by _ONH_; 18 October 2020, 12:36 PM.

Comment

But you seem a bit smarter than the rest of these morons, so I say this, there is more than just the GPL. There are many more free licenses with a non-militant stance such as the Apache License, which allow for more freedom. Maybe you'll get it and understand why I think the GPL is a sad license and that it has better ones, but the morons won't. They're fucked in the head and cannot be fixed. In short, one simply cannot expect to dictate what others should and shouldn't do, when one doesn't want it for oneself. Only idiots do. The GPL sadly is a license written by such an idiot. The GPL was a knee-jerk response by tree-hugging communist hippies who are mentally still living in the 70's, trying to fight the closed source monopoly of capitalism. We're living in better times now and need to move on from either shit. There is room for all of it and not just one or the other.
              you are Right, the gpl is not free of charge for sw devs. But the stupide people trying to convince others it’s legit to use the ip in he kernel free of charge should also tell no to not pay other companies to use their sw up. Not contributing an single line of source code back ist just that. Since it involves payment for usage form the ones developing derevatives it can’t be hippies or communist.

Comment

Too bad you're more stupid than you look. How many of the major operating systems from those 'non-militant' licenses are competitive? NONE. GPL is the best thing that happened in software. While you're not realizing the fact it's proprietary trash companies trying to dictate others what they can or not it makes you number 2 imbecile in this forum. What a pathetic trash with a mentality of thief. Times will be better when morons like you will die.
                Last edited by Volta; 18 October 2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

You know that both can be true, don't you. It's obviously all about what you do. If you mainly play games, their compatibility with NVIDIA is most often better, that's for sure. If, on the other hand, you have a laptop or you run Wayland, then using NVIDIA is like voluntarily getting extra heavy balls and chains to run a sprint race. Across a minefield.
                  I have an Nvidia laptop running prime with blob + X11 and have no issues

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post

Angry much? lol. Typical anti-closed source hater. All sound the same. Blah blah blah.

Chill. Stop making Linux users look angry.
                    I'm not angry, I'm not dumb enough to get fucked by closed source bullshit.

Do you not know what forum you're on? Are you lost or just dumb?

Comment

• Originally posted by loganj View Post

say what? when was hardware support one of linux superpowers? there are sooooooooooooooooooooooo many devices that still not work and will probably never work on linux and a lot that has very poor implementation
                      Did you even use Windows before? I have a vast number of more devices that are fucked on Windows than on Linux. In fact, outside of seriously niche parallel port garbage, I have ONLY devices that are fucked on Windows. Linux literally works on every single thing I've ever tried, which was some exotic and shitty Chinese shit. Most of which didn't even have a whisper of functionality on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X