Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Chevy Trucks Suck

People get like that about all sorts of random crap. Can't get too pissed off that geeks are arguing like this at one of the geekiest places around
    Yes, it's interesting, you can even get passionate about it. Calling others like that is not normal though.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      why it doesn't reduce profits for anyone but absolutely would reduce profits for nvidia?
      If CUDA was usable by AMD, there wouldn't be incentive for all of my GPUs to be Nvidia...

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
        I guess most of us will have to chuck out our computers now, as we didn't pay for the feature of being able to run GNU/Linux or BSD. That's a server or workstation feature, and we paid for consumer computers.
        Running an OS is different from using specific hardware features.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
          a) Failure to address key parts of argument, viz 3x pricing increases as evidence of monopoly.
          What is there to say? They do it because they can. Communism is worse.

b) Doesn't respond to ethical questions on segmented pricing multiples.
          What?

c) Denies the basic propert ownership concept that tangible products belong to the entity who purchased them.
          The hardware you bought has the specs it says on the box, not sure how that is bad.

d) Aggressive language to defend indefinsible position.
          You have not seen me using aggressive language yet, but you are on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

You have not seen me using aggressive language yet, but you are on the right track.
            Oooh hahaha.

I give up starship13 or whatever. You win! Your powerful swearwords.... I can't take anymore....

gimme some of that green "medicine" that you've been taking.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Let me guess, you are one of the idiots who defend ONDISK DLC costing extra because "you only paid for the base game"?
              And you are one of the dunces that can't grasp the concept of non-physical objects. You aren't paying 50$ for a fucking DVD, you dunce. The DVD is just the media.

If it is on the silicon, it is on the silicon.
              Same bs as before. You didn't buy the silicon chip on its own. You paid for a fully assembled product with specific specs.

Why should corporate users pay extra for the same silicon?
              Because the specs of the product they buy are different. They are not buying bare silicon either. They buy a card, or a board or something.

You aren't getting these things on consumer cards, but why disable the features though?
              Because hardware development is more complex than growing fucking broccoli, and developing entirely different products is much more expensive than making a single design and disabling features to create cheaper products.
              If they did so, then everything would cost much more, as now you are duplicating costs.

Really, this happens on all electronic design, from microcontrollers to CPUs to GPUs of all brands. Even electronic boards are usually designed to fit in different product lines and then populated accordingly.

Only complete retards like you that can't understand the difference between growing a fucking zucchini and software development, or designing electronic hardware and keep repeating the same "hurr durrr it's the same silicon"

Most professionals will still pay for the professional grade silicon because their jobs depend on it
              No they won't. Professionals will get the cheapest thing they can to get to their goal, just like everyone else. Consumer cards aren't unstable by any means (the software they run on them... heh... much less). The only ones that care are very large organizations that build supercomputers or something.

But Nvidia is such a greedy company that the mere thought of losing even a portion of their profits is driving them insane.
              Yeah, because AMD, Intel, Qualcomm, Broadcomm, Mediatek, Texas Instruments (for a ton of other kinds of electronic components) and others never ever did this. Ever.

And you support them.
              I'm just a messenger. The world works like this and you need to upgrade your first grader understanding of it.

You are literally supporting not having features on your hardware unless you pay thousands of dollars.
              Yes, I'm literally supporting not having features I don't care about in exchange of saving thousands of dollars and having a slim low-power card.

I don't give 2 shits about FP64 or FP16 performance, hell I don't even really "game" so I don't need a whole lot GPU power either.

The most powerful GPU in my household is a AMD RX 550, and I'm extremely happy that it didn't cost me many hundreds of thousands of dollars because someone at AMD understands that not everyone gives a shit about all the features and having all the GPU "processing cores" enabled.

Comment

I give up starship13 or whatever. You win!
                Thanks. Sure saves me some effort.

gimme some of that green "medicine" that you've been taking.
                This is a "red" household. The last "green" I bought is a 9800 GT. I even disabled the "green" in my work laptop as the "blue" is enough for what I do with it.

I've purged "blue" from my other stuff too. Go me, right?
                Last edited by starshipeleven; 22 April 2020, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks. Sure saves me some effort.

This is a "red" household. The last "green" I bought is a 9800 GT. I even disabled the "green" in my work laptop as the "blue" is enough for what I do with it.

I've purged "blue" from my other stuff too. Go me, right?

But starship11, why are you then so vociferously defending nvidia, against what you call the "mob". Have you considered that it's not really a mob, but that these people have legitimate concerns about being attracted to a great product (Nvidia's), at the severe risk of, if Nvidia one day is no longer top dog, still being stuck with nvidia? That's the essence of the "mob"'s complaint. Can't you see any legitimacy in that?

Comment

But starship11, why are you then so vociferously defending nvidia
                    I'm not. There are plenty of reasons to rail against NVIDIA, but "designing electronics in the only sane way possible" isn't one of them.

As said above, AMD, Intel, Qualcomm, Broadcomm, Mediatek, Texas Instruments (for a ton of other kinds of electronic components) and others do this. They must be part of the mafia conspiracy Grey reptilian illuminati bullshit cult, right?

It can't be that this is the actually sane way to design and manufacture electronics.

against what you call the "mob"
                    wat?

these people have legitimate concerns
                    I react to bullshit, and saying everyone should have the same features at the same low low price or lower prices for everyone just because of your good heart is communist bullshit that does not fly, period.

There is no competition? Well then it sucks, but it's not like any other company would do the same if they were in the same spot. Let's see if AMD remains good and cool once they nuked Intel into oblivion on the CPU market, or if they start pulling the same bullshit Intel did.

Maybe they start enforcing bs like limiting CPU if a NVIDIA card is present, who knows? If you reach a near-monopoly you are in God-mode and all bets are off.

Comment

I'm not. There are plenty of reasons to rail against NVIDIA, but "designing electronics in the only sane way possible" isn't one of them.

As said above, AMD, Intel, Qualcomm, Broadcomm, Mediatek, Texas Instruments (for a ton of other kinds of electronic components) and others do this. They must be part of the mafia conspiracy Grey reptilian illuminati bullshit cult, right?

It can't be that this is the actually sane way to design and manufacture electronics.

wat?

I react to bullshit, and saying everyone should have the same features at the same low low price or lower prices for everyone just because of your good heart is communist bullshit that does not fly, period.

There is no competition? Well then it sucks, but it's not like any other company would do the same if they were in the same spot. Let's see if AMD remains good and cool once they nuked Intel into oblivion on the CPU market, or if they start pulling the same bullshit Intel did.

Maybe they start enforcing bs like limiting CPU if a NVIDIA card is present, who knows? If you reach a near-monopoly you are in God-mode and all bets are off.
                      No competition "sucks" only if the "no competition" is not unfairly engineered "no competition". And unfair "no competition" through the related vectors of monopoly and network effects, by logic, ethics, and more importantly, dozens of decades of precedent, is not acceptable, and illegal. Now I'm not going to try to teach you how this works if you don't understand it, because I'm going to assume you do, despite what your comments might suggest. So I'll end this with another expression of surprise that you haven't taken this into account. You need to do so otherwise there will always be a "mob" against you, and said "mob" won't actually be illogical.

Comment

Working...
                      X