NVIDIA Announces MONAI Open-Source AI Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post

And yet, when there's an Nvidia article, the whiners and haters crawl out of the woodwork. If you/they really didn't care, then you would stop commenting on Nvidia stuff...
    Claiming you don't care about Nvidia is like 144Hz claiming he doesn't care about KDE/Qt.
    You know that this forum is used by mostly only Linux users? A lot of them me included like the OpenSource idea. Of course some of us are getting mad if someone wants to sell us false opensource to propagate/establish their vendor-lock-in system. Because that is completely against the foss idea.

I would like to kindly ask you to go to a musclecar enthusiasts forum and write a thread about "why the honda civic is the best muscle car?". I'm pretty sure the outcome will not be so modest.

Yes, Nvidia despite of their greedy buisness tactics they might have good products, drivers (windows) whatever but not in the light of the OpenSource and almost each admission of their side feels like spoofing the Opensource Community.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

You didn't write that in a Linux forum.... Seriously, you didn't.

Oh, you did...
      When you create your own company and GPUs then you will dictate your own terms of how you will sell your products and how you will amortize the costs of R&D.

People like you are disgusting human beings and are the reason the world is shit right now...

You are either a shill or an idiot.
      Until then you are just a blasphemous looser. Ντροπή σου.

Comment

Oh, you did...

People like you are disgusting human beings and are the reason the world is shit right now. Unless you are an Nvidia employee, paid to push Nvidia propaganda, AKA a shill, you are actually pushing for corporate profits because reasons.... Let me guess, you are one of the idiots who defend ONDISK DLC costing extra because "you only paid for the base game"?

If it is on the silicon, it is on the silicon. Why should corporate users pay extra for the same silicon? I mean, literally, the same silicon? When you go to a grocery store, do you pay more because you are white, and blacks pay less because they are black? No, because that would be discrimination. Why should corporations then pay multiple times more for the same silicon, just because they are doing calculations on that silicon other than video games?

The only reason professional cards are justified for higher prices, is IF they are binned silicon, tested and guaranteed for the working requirements of professional users, AND it also grants access to professional support from the Nvidia driver team. That is LITERALLY the only thing justifying the extra cost.

You aren't getting these things on consumer cards, but why disable the features though? If the silicon does it, they should enable it. It is the right thing to do, the pro consumer thing to do. If professionals want to save money and get consumer grade silicon and no nvidia support, then let them, it is their choice. Most professionals will still pay for the professional grade silicon because their jobs depend on it. But Nvidia is such a greedy company that the mere thought of losing even a portion of their profits is driving them insane.

And you support them. You pretend you are a consumer, yet you support them. You are literally supporting not having features on your hardware unless you pay thousands of dollars... You are either a shill or an idiot.
        There pops up some rumor which I have heard of a well known osciloscope Brand. The Premium range is starting from 10 000$ to around 100 000$ each device. All of them have the same hardware and the functionality is only locked by software. Basics ..Frequency range etc. not only secondary functions like sepctrum analyzer etc. But I dont know if they also have some kind of binning. Maybe they produce just one plattform and test the signal quality etc...you knwo how it works

Comment

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post

When you create your own company and GPUs then you will dictate your own terms of how you will sell your products and how you will amortize the costs of R&D.

Until then you are just a blasphemous looser. Ντροπή σου.
          No, you are allowed to criticise business strategies. Especially if they try to fool you. If you dont - you will hang in the everlasting vendor-lock-in.
          Or why is Linux still in the minority on Desktop systems? because it is a bad product? No - because Microsoft played their cards well.
          Why do we have to use DXVK? because Vulkan is bad as initial API for Games ?...No
          Because clever guys fool people and do everything to keep them on the hook even if the balance between company and customers interests are not equal anymore...Idiots follow them without questioning their goals.
          But yes that is whining and hating I know. Only a truely free society allows blasphemy btw.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

And yet, when there's an Nvidia article, the whiners and haters crawl out of the woodwork. If you/they really didn't care, then you would stop commenting on Nvidia stuff...
            Claiming you don't care about Nvidia is like 144Hz claiming he doesn't care about KDE/Qt.
            But where, DanL, does anybody state that they don't care?

Quite the contrary, everybody _does_ care. Because Nvidia has excellent engineers, a management with great foresight, and fantastic productswhich everybody wants to use on their technical merits. What _nobody_ wants though is to walk into a bait-laden locked garden paradise from which you then cannot exit, after which you are overcharged massively, have to tithe multiple-increasing sums but cannot walk away from anymore. In other words, we have a plenty of talent, but a massive dearth of ethics, at Nvidia. It's a real shame and yes, everybody rightly does care about that because the temptation is strong to act against your own interests by buying Nvidia. They're very clever fkers, applying all their talents and resultant network effect monopoly power, to enslave a large part of your cashflow for the future.
            Last edited by vegabook; 22 April 2020, 08:06 AM.

Comment

You aren't getting these things on consumer cards, but why disable the features though? If the silicon does it, they should enable it. It is the right thing to do, the pro consumer thing to do. If professionals want to save money and get consumer grade silicon and no nvidia support, then let them, it is their choice. Most professionals will still pay for the professional grade silicon because their jobs depend on it. But Nvidia is such a greedy company that the mere thought of losing even a portion of their profits is driving them insane.
              Tesla does that kind of crap too. A lot of their cars of the same model lines have the same battery, but they're firmware-limited in range so we have to pay up for the premium firmware version to drive farther. During hurricane season a couple years ago they sent out an OTA that gave everyone the full-range firmware so people wouldn't die in a storm.

Y'all can draw your own conclusions from that fact. This is mine:

All the companies like Nvidia and Tesla are showing me is that using firmware and software to impose artificial limits on hardware to provide multiple product lines almost always seems and appears unethical and, therefore, needs laws and regulations to protect the consumer from being screwed over.

Comment

I'm sadly not shocked at the level of sectarian nvidia bashing on this thread. They're open sourcing software that might help some day save lives, and all that folks here see is "cuda is nvidia-only" and "open source graphics driver".

Comment

Oh, you did...

People like you are disgusting human beings and are the reason the world is shit right now.

(snip)
                  Remember, your computer is a tool, like your hair dryer or the pot you cook your food in. Do you get religious about your hair dryer? Take it easy.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Remember, your computer is a tool, like your hair dryer or the pot you cook your food in. Do you get religious about your hair dryer? Take it easy.
                    Chevy Trucks Suck

People get like that about all sorts of random crap. Can't get too pissed off that geeks are arguing like this at one of the geekiest places around
                    Last edited by skeevy420; 22 April 2020, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vegabook View Post
                      But where, DanL, does anybody state that they don't care?
                      Huh? Did you not read the post I quoted/replied to?
                      "People do not whine about NVIDIA. Most non-Nvidia users don't give a single flying fsck about nvidia."
                      I was refuting that BS. TemplarGR him/herself is a great example of an Nvidia whiner.

Comment

Working...
                      X