10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    lol. i've accidentally lived in wayland session few weeks without realizing it. i thought that i broke something in vdpau land because vdpau was not working (it's x11 only, but that's not protocol's fault. vpdau is nvidia's stuff btw - see pattern ?)
    As if I care what casual crap you use your PC for.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    sway is an implementation of protocol. you need implementation no matter what is in protocol
    It adds more features than just what's in the protocol, and that's the problem. They just want to steal the spotlight. Then it wouldn't have to exist since there's other compositors already, no need for extra libraries.

Comment

• Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      i didn't say everyone, we were discussing developers. it is hard to develop without sources
      No you only need the interface or SDK "to develop" for something. Maybe stop speaking about crap you've no clue of.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weasel View Post
        No you only need the interface or SDK "to develop" for something. Maybe stop speaking about crap you've no clue of.
        If we wanted to interface with binary only SDKs we would have stayed on Windows, but alas, we want a stable, secure, reviewable, and re-architectable system. PS: Did NVidia release a driver for BeOS^W Haiku yet? Oh, I see, not their responsibility, target, focus? Yeah, I would not even wanted it, but with an open SPEC everyone could just tinker around however they feel like it on a rainy^W or sunny afternoon. When was the last time your car vendor locked down your car so much you could not go to an independent service, tune or swap the engine as you please? Yes – another famous car analogy ;-)!
        Last edited by rene; 07 September 2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rene View Post

If we wanted to interface with binary only SDKs we would have stayed on Windows, but alas, we want a stable, secure, reviewable, and re-architectable system. PS: Did NVidia release a driver for BeOS^W Haiku yet? Oh, I see, not their responsibility, target, focus? Yeah, I would not even wanted it, but with an open SPEC everyone could just tinker around however they feel like it on a rainy^W or sunny afternoon. When was the last time your car vendor locked down your car so much you could not go to an independent service, tune or swap the engine as you please? Yes – another famous car analogy ;-)!
          It doesn't really take away from your point, but I think Tesla lock down their cars quite a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

It doesn't really take away from your point, but I think Tesla lock down their cars quite a bit.
            thats why I don't buy a Tesla ;-)

Comment

If we wanted to interface with binary only SDKs we would have stayed on Windows, but alas, we want a stable, secure, reviewable, and re-architectable system.
              Who the hell is "we"? I don't know how you code, but when I code against a system call on Linux, I read its interface man page, I don't go and look at its source code, that's just dumb and a waste of time. Not to mention that the source code can change, but what's documented in the interface is stable.

Of course, in many cases having open source is a great thing and to read such code, but not when just targeting a well-documented interface, which was the point. You need it when you want ideas and algorithms and to see how something reacts. You don't need it to interface with something. God damn.

Comment

Who the hell is "we"? I don't know how you code, but when I code against a system call on Linux, I read its interface man page, I don't go and look at its source code, that's just dumb and a waste of time. Not to mention that the source code can change, but what's documented in the interface is stable.

Of course, in many cases having open source is a great thing and to read such code, but not when just targeting a well-documented interface, which was the point. You need it when you want ideas and algorithms and to see how something reacts. You don't need it to interface with something. God damn.
                I do not know why you talk about open source libraries here, my point is that I do not want binary only library stuff on my system, let alone kernel space at all. If you'd wanted this then you could also just use macOS and Windows. The point of Linux is open source, and not having binary blobs in the kernel, libraries, or whatever. Btw. this prevents innovation, as newcomers can not just get the existing hardware working on their new systems, such as BeOS^W Haiku, DragonflyBSD, QNX, you name it. https://www.openbsd.org/lyrics.html#39

Comment

I do not know why you talk about open source libraries here, my point is that I do not want binary only library stuff on my system, let alone kernel space at all.
                  What has that to do with you quoting me then?

The context was this (which I replied to from pal666): He said "it is hard to develop without sources", which is just bullshit.

What has that to do with what you want on your system again? In fact, cross-developing is a thing to begin with, you can even write Windows software from Linux, even though the "target" is closed source so you only have the interface and SDKs.

Comment

What has that to do with you quoting me then?

The context was this (which I replied to from pal666): He said "it is hard to develop without sources", which is just bullshit.

What has that to do with what you want on your system again? In fact, cross-developing is a thing to begin with, you can even write Windows software from Linux, even though the "target" is closed source so you only have the interface and SDKs.
                    Sorry, but you hijacked a thread about GPU drivers about Windows SDK things nobody asked about. The open source 3D SDK is Mesa anyways.

Comment

Sorry, but you hijacked a thread about GPU drivers about Windows SDK things nobody asked about. The open source 3D SDK is Mesa anyways.
                      I didn't hijack shit, I was directly replying to pal666, take it to him if you think he "hijacked" the thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X