Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

    Phoronix: 10 Reasons Linux Gamers Might Want To Pass On The NVIDIA RTX 20 Series

    Continuing on from the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 expectations on Linux shared earlier this week, here's a list of ten reasons why Linux gamers might want to pass on these soon-to-launch graphics cards from NVIDIA...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...s-RTX-20-Linux

  • #2
    There is no poor wayland support for nvidia. Its only KDE that is being stubborn. Secondly SLI has always been worthless. Theres a better way to use multiple cards.

    Comment


    • #3
      The argument about the price – that's what you get when there's little competition in a market. I mean Vega was a good effort but obviously not enough.

      Look at what happened with Intel after AMD picked up their CPU game. You finally have cheaper Intel CPUs with more 6 and 8 core options.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post
        There is no poor wayland support for nvidia. Its only KDE that is being stubborn. Secondly SLI has always been worthless. Theres a better way to use multiple cards.
        There is poor wayland support, Xwayland doesn't work meaning you cannot run pretty much any game.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          The argument about the price – that's what you get when there's little competition in a market. I mean Vega was a good effort but obviously not enough.

          Look at what happened with Intel after AMD picked up their CPU game. You finally have cheaper Intel CPUs with more 6 and 8 core options.
          While this is true, there is a second reason for the high prices: The absurdly large die. This is due to all the new fixed function units for ray tracing and tensor cores. If you look up the figures for classic CUDA cores and then the number of transistors, it will become clear that the new chips are pretty big to accomodate the hardware functionality very vew people will use as of right now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow Michael tearing into nVidia there - is that a warning shot for not sending you samples?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post

              There is poor wayland support, Xwayland doesn't work meaning you cannot run pretty much any game.
              You have it backwards. Games dont support wayland. And xwayland doesnt support wayland properly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by cj.wijtmans View Post

                You have it backwards. Games dont support wayland. And xwayland doesnt support wayland properly.
                But AMD/intel does support Xwayland.

                Hence Nvidia's Wayland support IS poor.

                Comment


                • #9
                  TL DR: Michael couldn't get the card so he is pissed.

                  Joking aside ; i'm sure these cards will be supported on Linux. How can you come up with something ridicilous like that? Have you ever seen an Nvidia card without drivers for Linux in last 10 years?

                  About ray tracing ; that is just a marketing tool. Ray tracing will be very limited and uneffective even on Windows in upcoming 2 years.

                  About Wayland ; c'mon. You can't even use Wayland on AMD/Intel too. Wayland has ways to go for being an alternative to good, old X.

                  Seriously ; Nvidia makes better cards than AMD in general. You can see that even in a minority market like Linux desktop , Nvidia is the majority.
                  Last edited by Leopard; 09-05-2018, 06:33 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Michael doesn't have the cards? I was kinda assuming he did while I was reading the article. Anyway.... It pretty much reflected my own expectations. Yes, the chips are huge due to all the new fixed function units which partially does explain the price, but for most consumers at this point in time, that extra die space will go to waste.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X