Intel Arc Graphics A580 / A750 / A770 Linux Performance For Early 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Arc Graphics A580 / A750 / A770 Linux Performance For Early 2024

Phoronix: Intel Arc Graphics A580 / A750 / A770 Linux Performance For Early 2024

Earlier this week I posted a 35-way Linux graphics card comparison featuring the new NVIDIA RTX 40 SUPER graphics cards and other recent AMD and NVIDIA hardware I had available while using the latest Linux drivers. Intel Arc Graphics desktop graphics cards weren't part of that comparison for simply running out of time prior to the RTX 4080 SUPER embargo lift to facilitate that re-testing. But for those interested, here is a fresh look at the Intel Arc Graphics A580 / A750 / A770 Linux performance against those NVIDIA GeForce and AMD Radeon graphics cards on Ubuntu Linux.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's a little disappointing to see the 7800 XT still mostly delivering equal or worse performance compared to the 6800 XT. I hoped it would improve as drivers matured. As I'm restricted by my case to dual-fan cards, RDNA4 will need some big efficiency gains to provide any incentive to upgrade. Intel doesn't appear to have anything in remotely the same class.

Thanks for the benchmarks, Michael.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post
      It's a little disappointing to see the 7800 XT still mostly delivering equal or worse performance compared to the 6800 XT. I hoped it would improve as drivers matured. As I'm restricted by my case to dual-fan cards, RDNA4 will need some big efficiency gains to provide any incentive to upgrade. Intel doesn't appear to have anything in remotely the same class.

True, well said!

Comment

So disappointing that games like Hitman 3 still don't work. Looks like they are just not serious with offering a viable alternative when it comes to gaming.
        Afaik there even was a collaboration between Intel and Hitman 3 devs for RT...

Comment

I would have liked to see numbers for the a380 to cross reference

Comment

Interesting what potential there is. There's a few cases where the A770 punched far above its weight.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Interesting what potential there is. There's a few cases where the A770 punched far above its weight.
              I'm hopeful the next version is an all around improvement on a what's essentially a tech preview version. If it is, and if Intel's driver stack developers can get its act together on the revised Xe drivers, then I'll seriously consider the A770 revision equivalent so long as it has 16GB VRAM+ as a replacement for my current 8 GB card. The RX 7600 XT revision just doesn't benefit me enough right now to spend the $320 just to double my VRAM even though I have a couple of programs that could benefit... it's not an all around improvement. I can't afford the $400+ cards like the 6800 XT.

Comment

Whatever happens, market prices move accordingly.
                ARC770 hits most of the time somewhere between RX7600 and RX7600XT and that's exactly how it's priced.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
                  I'm hopeful the next version is an all around improvement on a what's essentially a tech preview version. If it is, and if Intel's driver stack developers can get its act together on the revised Xe drivers, then I'll seriously consider the A770 revision equivalent so long as it has 16GB VRAM+ as a replacement for my current 8 GB card. The RX 7600 XT revision just doesn't benefit me enough right now to spend the $320 just to double my VRAM even though I have a couple of programs that could benefit... it's not an all around improvement. I can't afford the $400+ cards like the 6800 XT.
                  I think Battlemage will be good. Not great, not even good enough to cause AMD (let alone Nvidia) to lower their prices, but I could see it being a solid choice for the average person. Celestial is where I think Intel will start being truly competitive, since that'll be Xe3 (Battlemage and Alchemist are both Xe2) and the drivers will be in much better shape by then.

Intel is making good progress but whenever we see triple-digit performance improvements, the drivers are still too broken to recommend them.

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

that was surprising to me as well, to see it listed LOWER than the 6800xt in many cases. What happened? Did they just misbrand the thing, and it's actually a 7700 or 7600 and the 7900 xt is the real 7800 xt?

Comment

Working...
                    X