Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Finals" Can Run With Intel Graphics On Linux When Hiding The Fact It's An Intel GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Finals" Can Run With Intel Graphics On Linux When Hiding The Fact It's An Intel GPU

Phoronix: "The Finals" Can Run With Intel Graphics On Linux When Hiding The Fact It's An Intel GPU

Embark Studios' The Finals free-to-play first person shooter has proven quite popular since its release in early December. The Finals is a game powered by Unreal Engine 5 that has been running on Linux thanks to Valve's Steam Play (Proton + VKD3D-Proton). With the latest Mesa driver activity, Intel Arc Graphics on Linux with their open-source driver can now handle this popular game...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait, I thought it's not supposed to run due to the use of anti cheat.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post
      Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
      Also why doesn't it run when it detects an Intel GPU?
      Is it some hardcoded thing where the Intel GPU drivers for Winodws aren't supported?
      Meaning that the Linux drivers are actually better somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

Is it some hardcoded thing where the Intel GPU drivers for Winodws aren't supported?
        Reading the article, it's due to XeSS support not working well with proton/wine.

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post

This is all explained by Michael in the article you are commenting on...

Originally posted by phoronix

The issue is due to The Finals using Intel's XeSS upscaling tech but that not behaving well on Linux. The Windows game sees Intel graphics are being utilized and by default tries to leverage XeSS. So similar to the situations with Diabo IV, Hogwarts Legacy, and Cyberpunk 2077, Intel Arc Graphics on Linux can run The Finals when concealing the fact that it's Intel graphics inside.

Comment

Any way to run it without disabling AVX512 on newer AMD CPUs?

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post
              It was an update last week that fixed it apparently. It used EAC with the blacklist of any Linux machine turned on before. EAC is still there, but it now accepts Linux installs.

Played it a little bit this weekend on my Vega 64 and worked after tweaking some settings that I got from protondb reports.
              Still crashes occasionally (one time after 70min of playing, another time after just 10min) so it's not really reliable unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                Played it a little bit this weekend on my Vega 64 and worked after tweaking some settings that I got from protondb reports.
                Still crashes occasionally (one time after 70min of playing, another time after just 10min) so it's not really reliable unfortunately.
                Have you tried disabling in-game voice chat? Some people have said that it causes issues. I have had it turned off and haven't had a single issue with the game since last Friday when it started working – and as of writing, I have 23 hours on it according to Steam.

Edit: I have a 5800X3D with 7900 XTX, using Flatpak Steam.

Comment

Originally posted by dayone View Post
                  Any way to run it without disabling AVX512 on newer AMD CPUs?
                  I just signed up to reply to you. I also have a Ryzen 7000 series and game would not start because of AVX512 instruction set. The only way to play the game is to disable these CPU instruction set at Kernel level. To do this, you have to edit a system configuration and add the option `clearcpuid=304​` to the Kernel boot options and "reinstall the Kernels" (just one command). Depending on if you use grub or systemd-boot, the files and commands are different. Here is an explanation (in the comments) how its done on EndeavourOS: https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/the-...vx-512/49993/1

Comment

the finals is actually a really fun game, I plan on swapping over to linux full time son since now all of my games are compatible

Comment

Working...
                    X