Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Now Exposes Cooperative Matrix Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Now Exposes Cooperative Matrix Support

Phoronix: Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Now Exposes Cooperative Matrix Support

Merged on Friday for Mesa 24.0-devel in Q1 is support for the VK_KHR_cooperative_matrix extension with Intel's "ANV" Vulkan Linux driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I find it somewhat ironic that they need to call this "cooperative" only because it contradicts the conceit of GPUs using "threads" for each SIMD lane (popularized by Nvidia).

Comment

I still think it's hilarious that the A380 in that pic is a 75W card and requires 8 pin PCIe power. They missed an opportunity to cater to folks who really want it for its solid media engine and would have loved a single slot bus powered card for transcoding and other jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
        I still think it's hilarious that the A380 in that pic is a 75W card and requires 8 pin PCIe power. They missed an opportunity to cater to folks who really want it for its solid media engine and would have loved a single slot bus powered card for transcoding and other jobs.
        ASRock makes one that might be bus-powered, but they don't show the other end of the card and I can't be sure it doesn't have a power connector.

Clock: GPU / Memory, GPU Clock: 2000 MHz, Memory Clock: 15.5 GbpsKey Specification, Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics, 6GB 96-bit GDDR6, DirectX® 12 Ultimate, PCI® Express4.0 Support, 1 x DisplayPort™ 2.0 with DSC / 1 x HDMI™ 2.0bKey Features, Low Profile Design, Dual Fan Design, 0dB Silent Cooling, Super Alloy Graphics Card, 8K Resolution Support

You might also look into A310 models. ASRock has a similar A310 that probably doesn't have a power connector, even if the above A380 does.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          ASRock makes one that might be bus-powered, but they don't show the other end of the card and I can't be sure it doesn't have a power connector.

Clock: GPU / Memory, GPU Clock: 2000 MHz, Memory Clock: 15.5 GbpsKey Specification, Intel® Arc™ A380 Graphics, 6GB 96-bit GDDR6, DirectX® 12 Ultimate, PCI® Express4.0 Support, 1 x DisplayPort™ 2.0 with DSC / 1 x HDMI™ 2.0bKey Features, Low Profile Design, Dual Fan Design, 0dB Silent Cooling, Super Alloy Graphics Card, 8K Resolution Support

You might also look into A310 models. ASRock has a similar A310 that probably doesn't have a power connector, even if the above A380 does.
          I can confirm that all currently known low profile A380 cards do not require external power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            Driver Now Exposes Cooperative Matrix Support
            And what did they have before? coopetitive matrices? competitive matrices?

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
              And what did they have before? coopetitive matrices? competitive matrices?
              No, it stands in contrast to the way SIMD lanes normally don't interact. OpenCL has a programming model that lends itself to SIMD, but then you use explicit synchronization methods for anything involving cross-lane communication. That's done to avoid hard-coding dependencies on the SIMD width, among other reasons.

Edit: I forgot this is about Vulkan, but then the article mentions that it's based on a similar feature in OpenCL.
              Last edited by coder; 31 December 2023, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X