No announcement yet.

Trying Out & Benchmarking The New Experimental Intel Xe Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out & Benchmarking The New Experimental Intel Xe Linux Graphics Driver

Phoronix: Trying Out & Benchmarking The New Experimental Intel Xe Linux Graphics Driver

One of the new features to look forward to with the upcoming Linux 6.8 kernel cycle is the merging of the experimental "Xe" Intel kernel graphics driver. This driver has been in development for quite a while but has reached the state now at which Intel is comfortable with developing it further while in the mainline kernel tree.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

2024 will be a pretty big year for Linux graphics drivers. Nouveau will finally be competent for Turing and newer, and Intel devices receive a brand new driver.

Would be interested in another Zink vs. Native GL benchmark series to see how well the translation layer fares.

Comment

I would also be interested in radeonsi llvm vs ACO comparison.

Comment

The Xe drivers honestly did way better than I expected. Definitely seems like there's a lot of promise.

Comment

So just to clarify, 11th gen Tiger Lake won't be compatible? That's what my laptop has so it'd be disappointing if it's cut off like that despite having Xe graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            So just to clarify, 11th gen Tiger Lake won't be compatible? That's what my laptop has so it'd be disappointing if it's cut off like that despite having Xe graphics.
            Excerpt from the article:

This driver is designed just to support Intel Tigerlake Gen12 graphics and newer
            Tiger Lake is supported.
            Regarding "Gen12", it isn't designated for CPU (Intel Core) generations, but rather Intel Graphics generations: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Graphics_Technology

Comment

Tigerlake igpu is compatible with xe AFAIK

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Intel's GPU naming is very strange. So Tiger Lake is Gen11 CPU, but its GPU is Gen12. Even though *some* Tiger Lakes ship with a GPU called UHD instead of Xe, apparently, all the integrated GPUs are Xe-LP.

So, in a nutshell, yes, your laptop should be compatible. Which CPU do you have in particular? Mine is a 11400H and I believe it's compatible.
                Last edited by jorgepl; 22 December 2023, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jorgepl View Post

Intel's GPU naming is very strange. So Tiger Lake is Gen11 CPU, but its GPU is Gen12. Even though *some* Tiger Lakes ship with a GPU called UHD instead of Xe, apparently, all the integrated GPUs are Xe-LP.

So, in a nutshell, yes, your laptop should be compatible. Which CPU do you have in particular? Mine is a 11400H and I believe it's compatible.
                  Great, thanks for clearing that up. I've got an 1135G7.

Comment

So has anyone seen any indication that with the current / planned Xe (or i915 for that matter) driver there has been / will be any improvement in
                    DGPU power management so that, unlike on MSWindows, the ARC770 (for an example) doesn't in LINUX ALWAYS consume at least ~40W regardless of how lightly loaded it is,
                    how few & low resolution monitors are attached, et. al.?

I really don't understand how when they have power / clock management working to potentially reduce idle power, and the settings to turn off fans for lightly loaded GPUs that NO such thing appears to be possible in LINUX with any distribution / driver version or BIOS / OS ASPM et. al. settings.

Comment

Working...
                    X