Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Fixes Up Baldur's Gate 3 On Linux With Arc Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Fixes Up Baldur's Gate 3 On Linux With Arc Graphics

For those with Intel Arc Graphics on Linux and wanting to enjoy the game Baldur's Gate 3 thanks to the power of Valve's Steam Play software, an important fix has been merged to Mesa 24.0-devel and set for back-porting to Mesa 23.3. This should take care of rendering issues being reported for Baldur's Gate 3 with Intel graphics on Linux when using the Vulkan renderer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yet another program-specific hack. Wondering which part of the driver or the game causes this issue.

Comment

Unless I skimmed the article too quickly, this seems to be more of a hacky workaround than a fix. Not ideal.

Comment

Thumbs up just for the nasty looking intellect devourer pic.

Comment

typo
          Intel Fixes Up Baldur's Gate 3 On Wine With Arc Graphics

Comment

I'm appalled that Baldur's Gate 3 is native on Mac but not on the more popular GNU/Linux, according to Steam's Hardware Survey. As someone who's playing it on Linux Mint, this game likes to crash a lot. Maybe because I'm on Vulkan, but on my aging Vega 56 I need Vulkan to get a decent frame rate. Considering how many people have stability issues, I'm not sure if it's because I'm on Linux or because of the game itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              I'm appalled that Baldur's Gate 3 is native on Mac but not on the more popular GNU/Linux, according to Steam's Hardware Survey. As someone who's playing it on Linux Mint, this game likes to crash a lot. Maybe because I'm on Vulkan, but on my aging Vega 56 I need Vulkan to get a decent frame rate. Considering how many people have stability issues, I'm not sure if it's because I'm on Linux or because of the game itself.
              Native linux games are over. Proton has seen to that. It's somewhat ironic but nobody will trouble themselves with native now that proton is good enough. Test on windblows and hope for the best, or possibly do a Ubuntu/proton quick test (e.g. game starts, call it good enough).

Compare that little effort to a full release cycle/builds etc. It just saves SO much to the dev (I know I am a dev). Linux is my primary for 15+ years now and I wouldn't release a native game on it at this point. I'd use it to develop the game (say if I used something like Godot) but I'd never release for it. Not worth the hassle.

Why they went to Mac is the bigger question I guess, might be misguided management.

Comment

The game's vulkan renderer shipped broken and is still broken. Using the DX11 option you can run the game for many hours without a crash.

Comment

Originally posted by BillFleming View Post
                  The game's vulkan renderer shipped broken and is still broken. Using the DX11 option you can run the game for many hours without a crash.
                  I think it's time to upgrade my Vega 56 then. I was fine with performance until I reached near the end of act1 where an open field would bring my PC down to a crawl. With Vulkan my performance was much better, but yea it was buggier. Especially with FSR enabled, both 1.0 and 2.2, because it starts to flash black boxes on my screen. My Linux Mint isn't exactly just thrown together either, as I've exclusively been using it for the past 2 years. I have Xanmod kernel installed with mitigations=off and WINEFSYNC=1. If the game wasn't so damn good, I would have probably quit by now with all the bugs. Considering they made a Mac port, you'd think they'd also think of us Linux nerds as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X