No announcement yet.

Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On The Intel Core Ultra 7 Meteor Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On The Intel Core Ultra 7 Meteor Lake

Phoronix: Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux Performance On The Intel Core Ultra 7 Meteor Lake

Following my Linux benchmarks of the Intel Core Ultra 7 155H processor performance where it ended up being rather disappointing but then with finding great success with the integrated Arc Graphics on Meteor Lake, like I you may be left wondering how much of a role Linux is playing with these results compared to Windows... Well, this article will shed some light on that aspect with looking at the Microsoft Windows 11 vs. Ubuntu Linux performance on the Acer Swift Go 14 Meteor Lake laptop.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What about power usage? Should be proportional to performance difference, right?

Comment

Originally posted by and.elf View Post
      What about power usage? Should be proportional to performance difference, right?
      Yeah, I'm keen to see how power consumption compares.

Comment

This is a surprise, usually Linux runs slower. Maybe it is related to the low power issue from the windows driver, a test driver is in the works at the moment. Also the Acer with Bios 1.01 doesn't have the pcode fix included.

Comment

Great, stupid Ubuntu has powersave governor for default. Otherwise windoze wouldn't even had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by mikk View Post
            This is a surprise, usually Linux runs slower. Maybe it is related to the low power issue from the windows driver, a test driver is in the works at the moment. Also the Acer with Bios 1.01 doesn't have the pcode fix included.
            An only surprise is your dumb comment. Linux almost always runs faster. Much faster. When it doesn't there's config issue or not optimal graphic stack.

P.S. I'm not sure how to read you comment after all. If you meant these benchmarks, many of them are less is better.
            Last edited by Volta; 21 December 2023, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

An only surprise is your dumb comment. Linux almost always runs faster. Much faster. When it doesn't there's config issue or not optimal graphic stack.
              Yep. The only time I run into issues on Linux is when trying to game at its limits...for me that means combining HDR and Ultrawide on an exotic Wayland setup.

Not gonna lie, that combination reverted me back to Windows 11 and I'm in the process of getting a v4 enabled CachyOS WSL to autostart and autostop with the commands to add my disks to WSL, mount my Zpool, and share that folder with Windows when I boot up and then to cleanly export my pool and stop WSL when I shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Yep. The only time I run into issues on Linux is when trying to game at its limits...for me that means combining HDR and Ultrawide on an exotic Wayland setup.
                HDR is a game changer, so I hope we'll get it soon.

Comment

Indeed. There are soooo many screens with HDR, especially on laptops, available ...
                  Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

It really is. It just stinks when HDR works by default (like with KWin or Gamescope) but then you run into issues with things like FlawlessWidescreen or you just can't get some ultrawide game mods/trainers/etc to work on Linux in general. At the same time, however, I've put all my what I'd normally use to buy a game console money on PC components and would like to enjoy everything at its fullest extent and not the fullest extent that Linux is able to offer. I want that easy to use, click-click-click, experience with all the bells and whistles without having to worry so much about what's in what prefix, having to tack on SteamTinkerLauncher to problematic games, configuring environment variables, and using other such workarounds...the downside of Proton prefix compartmentalization, shared tools, and odd workarounds being necessary for one game and not the next.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining because SDR gaming in resolutions that the games support works great and even sometimes better than Windows. It's just astonishing how far everything has come in the past 10, 15 years in regards to Linux gaming. A lot of amazing work from a lot of amazing people.

When you venture into the realm where the games themselves require mods to work right on Windows, all bets are off. Especially in regards to HDR+Wayland. There be dragons.

Comment

Working...
                    X