Intel's New "Xe" Kernel Graphics Driver Submitted Ahead Of Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's New "Xe" Kernel Graphics Driver Submitted Ahead Of Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Intel's New "Xe" Kernel Graphics Driver Submitted Ahead Of Linux 6.8

As I wrote about last week that Intel's modern Xe kernel graphics driver was nearing submission for the mainline kernel and today it's indeed been submitted to DRM-Next. The Intel Xe kernel graphics driver is the modern alternative to the long-used i915 DRM kernel driver and is fitted to support Tigerlake graphics and newer -- both integrated graphics hardware as well as discrete GPUs/accelerators...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would be nice if they would fix first the performance issues reported by the desktop environment developers, like the ones from KDE:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And other problems that people reported, especially on Wayland.

Games and videos are nice, but when the DE runs like crap or even freezes for a few seconds, all fun is lost!

And BTW Intel, where the fuck is a graphical control panel???

Are you just as lazy as AMD or you are just profiting from the fact that AMD hasn't made one either and enjoy the chicken-and-egg problem?

Comment

Cool, from looking at the license file in the git server it looks like it will still be dual licensed. Looks like gpl and apache. That means other OSes can pull it in once it has baked in Linux for a while. Personally, I think Nova Lake will be my next ThinkPad purchase in 2025 or 2026. Should be second gen Intel with backside power for lower heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        And BTW Intel, where the fuck is a graphical control panel???
        Why do people want the graphics vendors to provide their own "control panels"? Provide sysfs interfaces and let the Linux community make a common tool that supports all cards is my preferred solution. After having to deal with all the control panels on Windows, they all suck.

Comment

Originally posted by murraytony View Post

Why do people want the graphics vendors to provide their own "control panels"? Provide sysfs interfaces and let the Linux community make a common tool that supports all cards is my preferred solution. After having to deal with all the control panels on Windows, they all suck.
          Because asking them to provide sysfs interfaces will mean that even if they do it, they will provide just 2-3 things, will take years for the comunity to make third-party control panels and when they make it, they will not be installed by default and very few people will even know about them.
          Just look at the situation for AMD GPUs, where there are 3-4 competing control panels each with more or less features than the others.
          None installed by default and not all known.
          And all provide, just 1-5% of the features that AMD has in the Windows control panel.
          Why?
          Well because AMD is profiting that it doesn't have a graphical control panel so people can easily notice how bare it actually is and how many features are missing compared to the Windows one.

And who said that asking them to provide a graphical control panel doesn't mean that they will provide also sysfs interfaces?

I'm asking them for a graphical control panel to use as little words as possible to require everying, a graphical control panel example, syfs interfaces, features in the drivers that can do the same things they do on Windows.

In the end what would be the downside?

If you don't want to use it, then don't use it!

But let people ask for the same features and quality of life that exists for Windows users!

I'm tired of being able to change just the resolution and refresh rate and nothing else.
          Not even be able to see the GPU and VRAM usages and temperatures!

Comment

Because asking them to provide sysfs interfaces will mean that even if they do it, they will provide just 2-3 things, will take years for the comunity to make third-party control panels and when they make it, they will not be installed by default and very few people will even know about them.
            I guess thats ok. Most people don't care in Windows. You need a driver thats working fine, but using it's control panel is a niche thing. See Nvidia, their Windows CP is stuck in a 20 years in the past situation and nobody cares. I personalls don't know when I used much of those panels on my Windows boxes either.

​Just look at the situation for AMD GPUs, where there are 3-4 competing control panels each with more or less features than the others.
            None installed by default and not all known.
            I'm alright with that, no complaints

​​And all provide, just 1-5% of the features that AMD has in the Windows control panel.
            Why?
            Mostly because there are better tools for the jobs outside of those panels so they aren't that useful.

Examples, Windows:
            You want to overclock or undervolt your nvidia card?
            You use rivatuner.

You want to stream games or your desktop?
            You use OBS,

You want to monitor your hardware?
            You use HWMON.

Well because AMD is profiting that it doesn't have a graphical control panel so people can easily notice how bare it actually is and how many features are missing compared to the Windows one.

Even though I don't miss anything badly.

​And who said that asking them to provide a graphical control panel doesn't mean that they will provide also sysfs interfaces?
            ​​
            Much of the huge CP Panel functions aren't anything that will ever be done via sysfs interfaces, thats just a subset.

​I'm asking them for a graphical control panel to use as little words as possible to require everying, a graphical control panel example, syfs interfaces, features in the drivers that can do the same things they do on Windows.
            ​​​
            I personally deem those control panels mostly useless and clutter. If I would be able to download Windows drivers without those I would choose just that. Maybe we don't need clutter in linux.

In the end what would be the downside?
            ​​​​
            Developer time and money spent on working on code that noone needs at all, while not being able to do important stuff at the same time.

​If you don't want to use it, then don't use it!
            ​​​​​
            But I want important things to be developed.

But let people ask for the same features and quality of life that exists for Windows users!
            ​​​​​​
            We don't need to do the same mistakes that happened in Windows ecosystem.

​​I'm tired of being able to change just the resolution and refresh rate and nothing else.
            ​​​​​​​
            You don't do that in those panels in windows either. You'll use the MS Windows control panel.

​​​Not even be able to see the GPU and VRAM usages and temperatures!
            You're able to see just that. Use the right tools, as you would do in Windows.

Last note: Maybe switch back to annoy everyone with your HDR rants. Thats also not too important but might come in handy in the future. HDR capable displays are slowly getting slightly mainstream.

Comment

Working...
            X