Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics Enjoy Another Open-Source Vulkan Driver Performance Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

It was never added, and XE was never intended to be main driver for DG2. I915 is.
    Yeah, I know that. Their intention was to drop product on the market and make a new product. Go buy our new product, surely it will be better and not abandoned in a year.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Yeah, I know that. Their intention was to drop product on the market and make a new product. Go buy our new product, surely it will be better and not abandoned in a year.
      no idea where that impression came from, Intel posted 10+ patch revisions or something like that trying to get sparse into I915 into the kernel before they stopped it, they haven't showed any indication of abandoning DG2 at all
      Last edited by Quackdoc; 08 September 2023, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Too much FUD by trolls against Intel for some reason... Their product is really good for the price. If you want a relatively affordable gpu with opensource linux drivers, the Arc is great and gets improved constantly. It is not like Nshitia and AMD are without issues. And both of those companies which created a duopoly with fixed pricing and made huge profits by scaming the consumer, need some much needed competition. We should all be supporting Intel, teething issues and all.

Comment

they stopped it
          RIP. Dead on arrival. My A770 is a cripple with either of kernel drivers.

Comment

RIP. Dead on arrival. My A770 is a cripple with either of kernel drivers.
            I mean, that's what you signed up for when you bought a first generation card from a company that had very little prior experience in making them. anyone who thought there weren't going to be crippling issues is a fool.

I'm just genuinely happy that these are issues that are actually solvable and not crippling hardware ones. ofc Intel's drivers are open source, It may or may not be too hard to port the old style HUC loading to the new XE driver, even if it's not code that would be accepted into mainline for whatever reason, I could at least see myself using a DKMS to patch it in.

Comment

I mean, that's what you signed up for when you bought a first generation card from a company that had very little prior experience in making them. anyone who thought there weren't going to be crippling issues is a fool.

I'm just genuinely happy that these are issues that are actually solvable and not crippling hardware ones. ofc Intel's drivers are open source, It may or may not be too hard to port the old style HUC loading to the new XE driver, even if it's not code that would be accepted into mainline for whatever reason, I could at least see myself using a DKMS to patch it in.
              And I mean, when I buy a new hardware I expect it to receive updates for at least 5 years and this thing to be somewhat future-proof.

Comment

...somewhat future-proof.
                that is a very silly expectation for first generation hardware.

Comment

that is a very silly expectation for first generation hardware.
                  My main issue with ARC is that it's missing DX12 support on linux, and Intel seems completely ok with that instead of urgently trying to fix it. Missing support is ok, but where's the urgency?

Other than that, I think it's pretty much lived up (or down) to my expectations for first gen hardware. Hopefully their 2nd gen launch goes smoother. It'd be great if they were an actual mid-range competitor.
                  Last edited by smitty3268; 09 September 2023, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

My main issue with ARC is that it's missing DX12 support on linux, and Intel seems completely ok with that instead of urgently trying to fix it. Missing support is ok, but where's the urgency?

Other than that, I think it's pretty much lived up (or down) to my expectations for first gen hardware. Hopefully their 2nd gen launch goes smoother. It'd be great if they were an actual mid-range competitor.
                    vkd3d does work for some games, but for games that actually require sparse_residency then you run into the issue we are talking about with vm_bind/sparse. this shouldnt be an issue for the next gen cards

Comment

Originally posted by Min1123 View Post
                      Starfield at this point doesn't, and that's a disappointment, but that's because (maybe it's because, it could be other things that aren't being displayed/errored) Bethesda is doing GPU checks to see if it matches predefined AMD and NVidia GPUs, and says the GPU doesn't meet requirements in a tiny unscaled pop-up before quitting.
                      Which is something you can even get on AMD systems to be fair.
                      I had to set
                      Code:
                      DISABLE_LAYER_AMD_SWITCHABLE_GRAPHICS_1=1 VK_ICD_FILENAMES=/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.i686.json:/usr/share/vulkan/icd.d/radeon_icd.x86_64.json
                      in the launch options to get it to ignore the iGPU in my 7800X3D (enabled for extra screen outputs) so I don't get stuck with that pop-up.

Comment

Working...
                      X