Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Arc Graphics Enjoy Another Open-Source Vulkan Driver Performance Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Arc Graphics Enjoy Another Open-Source Vulkan Driver Performance Optimization

Phoronix: Intel Arc Graphics Enjoy Another Open-Source Vulkan Driver Performance Optimization

Intel's open-source "ANV" Vulkan Linux driver has landed a set of 15 patches that can further help the Linux gaming performance for those using DG2/Alchemist Arc Graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Are Arc Graphics still relevant?

It seems a dead GPU platform to me, plus a total disaster from a hardware and software perspective.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

It seems a dead GPU platform to me, plus a total disaster from a hardware and software perspective.

You are absolutely right, Arc is a clown. The i915 KMD has no sparse bind, the Xe KMD doesn't support HuC firmware loading, doesn't support 10bit SDR output, doesn't support ReBAR in Vulkan, it's a total clown.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post

You are absolutely right, Arc is a clown. The i915 KMD has no sparse bind, the Xe KMD doesn't support HuC firmware loading, doesn't support 10bit SDR output, doesn't support ReBAR in Vulkan, it's a total clown.
        It doesn't support rebar in vulkan only on windows.

Comment

Finally arc gets some speedup. Let's hope this continues

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post

Arc reconfirmed why I don't normally early adopt hardware and why I like to wait at least 6-12 months for before buying new stuff. I'm actually breaking that rule by a month with my current unplanned hardware upgrades...but Sony forced my hand with their ridiculous online pricing updates.

FWIW, I'm not really ragging on Intel here. AMD GPUs had a lot of problems back when AMDGPU first came out or when AMD was a month or two late to provide Linux firmware so I'm just hoping that Intel gets their stuff together for their next GPU.

Comment

Using them under Linux, the A770, their high-end, works really well with DXVK and Proton. I am eager to see where their FOSS drivers go with the new split, but that hasn't happened yet, and still, most of my Steam library works, and the drivers are FOSS, so they get updated whenever MESA or the kernel do. Starfield at this point doesn't, and that's a disappointment, but that's because (maybe it's because, it could be other things that aren't being displayed/errored) Bethesda is doing GPU checks to see if it matches predefined AMD and NVidia GPUs, and says the GPU doesn't meet requirements in a tiny unscaled pop-up before quitting.

Comment

in my opinion on linux devs working hard and in this year more things stay in driver case:

- KHR_maintenance5​
                - VK_EXT_pipeline_robustness​
                - fake sparse support
                - EDS3 ConservativeRasterizationMode​
                - VK_EXT_depth_bias_control​
                - VK_EXT_dynamic_rendering_unused_attachments
                - VK_EXT_graphics_pipeline_library​​​
                - VK_KHR_map_memory2​
                - VK_EXT_pipeline_library_group_handles​
                - VK_EXT_image_sliced_view_of_3d​
                - VK_EXT_vertex_input_dynamic_state
                - and many other things

actually various devs stay working with DG2 aka arc for example Mike Blumenkrantz​ aka zink creator helps intel driver (him use DG2 - SKL hardware), in some recent MR them talk about needs lastest linux-firmware for arc

personally my uhd 630 ​runs many things, actually stay focus on this 2 extensions:

first is more important to me, this affect when use zink on emulators case melonds - mgba and others, second extension maybe stay closer to merge

but sadly like other said arc is a very premature launching with serious issues like guc situation or sparse for i915 (this seems a dead end for now)

curiously my uhd 630 are improved in vulkan features but is too weak hardware compared amd igp like radeon 448 shaders founded on ryzen 5 4600G

sadly intel desktop igp are too weak compared intel laptop igp

personally i stay with intel some time more but if appear a opportunity for change, i jump to amd igp

Last edited by pinguinpc; 07 September 2023, 08:30 AM.

Comment

They intend to make more GPUs in the future so improving their drivers is necessary for them to have an success in the future.

Also there's apparently still some possibility that SR-IOV on Arc could be a thing. If that happens, at least a bunch of Linux nerds like myself would buy them.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

They intend to make more GPUs in the future so improving their drivers is necessary for them to have an success in the future.

Also there's apparently still some possibility that SR-IOV on Arc could be a thing. If that happens, at least a bunch of Linux nerds like myself would buy them.
                    That's the killer app that would make me switch, really...

Comment

Working...
                    X