Intel Scores Another Nice Arc Graphics Boost On Linux For Summer 2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Scores Another Nice Arc Graphics Boost On Linux For Summer 2023

Phoronix: Intel Scores Another Nice Arc Graphics Boost On Linux For Summer 2023

Just days after covering a recent ~10% speed-up for the Intel Arc Graphics on Linux, another optimization has landed in Mesa 23.3-devel for further enhancing Intel's latest graphics wares with their open-source driver stack.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Happy to see all these improvements having just bought a Dell XPS 15 with an Arc GPU. I chose it because it's considerably cheaper than the nvidia variant and I do not play video games. I do not want or need a discrete GPU.

The one thing I hope Intel provides is a switch to just turn it off entirely. Thankfully I can kick it off the pci bus with a

Code:
    echo 1 > '/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:03:00.0/remove'
    Which lets the laptop run cooler and saves some battery.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post
      Happy to see all these improvements having just bought a Dell XPS 15 with an Arc GPU. I chose it because it's considerably cheaper than the nvidia variant and I do not play video games. I do not want or need a discrete GPU.
      The Arc GPU is a discrete GPU though

If you don't need a discrete GPU, it's best to buy a laptop without one to avoid any potential driver issues and reduce weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post

The Arc GPU is a discrete GPU though

If you don't need a discrete GPU, it's best to buy a laptop without one to avoid any potential driver issues and reduce weight.
        Yes, I know it is. It's increasingly hard to find a decent laptop without a discrete GPU nowadays. Hence, why I wish there was a switch to turn them off. Manufacturers should put an option in the BIOS to completely disable them. Seems ridiculous to have gaming GPUs in laptops. Are there really that many people playing games on laptops? I can't think of a worse gaming experience.

Comment

Good to see.
          My gosh i want to see NVIDIA's ass being whipped.

Cant help but wonder when AMD will port changes to Linux too:
          Last edited by dimko; 25 July 2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Yes, I know it is. It's increasingly hard to find a decent laptop without a discrete GPU nowadays. Hence, why I wish there was a switch to turn them off. Manufacturers should put an option in the BIOS to completely disable them. Seems ridiculous to have gaming GPUs in laptops. Are there really that many people playing games on laptops? I can't think of a worse gaming experience.
            The answer is yes, because you can attach the laptop to a TV via HDMI and have a console style gaming experience.

Comment

There are a huge number of laptop gamers! I would hazard to guess (based only on what I see outside) more than 60% people game on their laptop... and probably most of them don't even own a desktop... maybe a console.

Comment

I wonder if this will speed up some of the new odd chips from Intel like the N100? I bought a beelink S12 Pro (Pro = N100) because I wanted to play with a low power SOC but the ARM boards were kinda yucky (proprietary video, no heat solution, etc. ) the S12 was it and it's kind of a fun and usable computer although the GPU is about on par with an AMD 7850K APU of yore but the processor is very nice and it has no problem with 4K at 60Hz; rendering a 4K video at 60Hz is another story. The whole computer is $170 on Amazon right now $20 less than what I paid (I feel so cheated).
                Last edited by gukin; 25 July 2023, 04:09 PM.

Comment

My Arc750 is turning out to be the take-a-chance purchase that just keeps on giving!

Comment

Speaking of "sparse", I've been loading up a no-cost gaming machine I built from scraps and I was wondering if anyone knows why GOG.com system requirements often say "nVidia so-and-so, 1GB / AMD so-and-so 2GB" or "nVidia so-and-so 2GB / AMD so-and-so 3GB".

That alone would be reason to stick my brother's hand-me-down GeForce GTX760 in the thing instead of our mutual friend's hand-me-down Radeon HD 5870 if the crappy UEFI on the HP prebuilt I got for free had received a necessary compatibility update for post-6xx nVidia cards.

Comment

Working...
                    X