Intel Preparing New "Xe" Linux Kernel Graphics Driver For Modern iGPUs & dGPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    Please please PLEASE! pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can we see a GUI control panel soon, Intel?
    I absolutely have no idea what you guys what with those damn control apps. The only reason the nvidia one exists is to work around bugs.
    I used the Nvidia, the AMD and the Intel one on Windows, yet I never needed anything inside of them, they are complete useless ram and storage wasters.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      Take a good, long look at Arc Control on Windows and ask yourself if that's what you reeeeealy want on Linux.
      This is a deeply bizarre either/or that you have presented. I only asked for a control panel, I didn't ask for the windows one to be ported. Obviously,it would be different.

Besides, what I did do is take a good long look at the terminal and instructions for writing some control script I have realized that that is not reeeeeeealy what I want.

We can clearly do better. This just should not be this difficult. It should be one click now I can get back to real things.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        I absolutely have no idea what you guys what with those damn control apps.
        You're contradicting yourself. Admitting to seeing the panels, you do have an idea,you don't need it explained to you after all. This is kind of a troll question as I and others have explained ad-nauseum the controls we would want to see. And yes, troubleshooting is one (but not the only) of several possibilities.

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
        I used the Nvidia, the AMD and the Intel one on Windows, yet I never needed anything inside of them.........
        Yeah, I'm used to guys like you. "I got mine, so whatever with anybody else"

Comment

This is a deeply bizarre either/or that you have presented. I only asked for a control panel, I didn't ask for the windows one to be ported. Obviously,it would be different.

Besides, what I did do is take a good long look at the terminal and instructions for writing some control script I have realized that that is not reeeeeeealy what I want.

We can clearly do better. This just should not be this difficult. It should be one click now I can get back to real things.
          My point is that Intel clearly doesn't know how to make a usable GUI. Let the Intel devs do the kernel and Mesa stuff that they are good at, and leave the GUI to someone who known how to make a good GUI.

Even on Windows, the 3rd party GUIs are better (e.g. MSI Afterburner for overclocking and monitoring).

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
            Even on Windows, the 3rd party GUIs are better (e.g. MSI Afterburner for overclocking and monitoring).
            I'd be very happy to achieve "better", but admittedly I have never used afterburner so I can only see screenshots and take your recommendation.(from what I can see it does actually look better)

However I have never been one to throw the baby out with the bath water. Right now we have zero out of 100 of a control panel. So even if MSI has a better one, an Intel provided control panel that puts us at 60 is well above zero. Even if you want to say 40, ok. Its still better than the zero we have right now.

Pretty much any panel would be good. Whats "bad" is spending hours doing scripting for annoyingly simple tasks. I was alright with this kind of annoyance back in the 80s for stupidly simple tasks back when it was dip switches and jumpers and thats all it was. Its time to grow up. I don't use a pen and piece of paper to write complex code, we have good IDEs for that. Thats what the ask is. I should shut up about my stupid developer's IDE and get back to coding on my pen and piece of paper.

No. Don't think I will. And I will embrace a 40 any day of the week while we currently have zero, while the rest of you keep making the perfect the enemy of the good.

Comment

I hope they stick with it on their Xe hardware for at least 2 more gens. You can deliver 1 year away on perf but better value and I'm interested these times. AMD need put out a 165HZ 1440p card for $499 (my highest price I'll pay for a GPU) or I won't be upgrading from my RX 580, still. I've been itching for a 6800XT since early pandemic, couldn't get one, and now definitely am not interested in a $899 4K card for my 1440p setup. So give some value and even HEDT people like me are totally interested.

Comment

Please please PLEASE! pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can we see a GUI control panel soon, Intel?
                Honest question... why?

My opinion of the Nvidia, AMD, and Intel graphics control panels is that they're a waste of time. Someone else mentioned it, but I think the right way to do this would be for the various drivers to expose their tweakable options, and for desktop environments or a third-party utility to present them.

Comment

Control what?

Comment

Admitting to seeing the panels, you do have an idea,you don't need it explained to you after all.
                    Oh no, I have admitted to have seen the panels. Even better, observing the panels has shown me that they offer zero useful functions on any system I've ever had. They are nothing but dead weight bundled with the driver.

Also, What is wrong withCoreCtrl, radeon-profile and the others. A "official" control UI would be as useless as they are.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                      What will this mean for the major *BSDs and smaller OSes like Haiku? Currently Intel graphics are the best supported on those platforms!
                      No idea about others but FreeBSD developers few years ago implemented compatibility layer for Linux GPU drivers that let them port driver from Linux with little changes. So not only GPU drivers are relatively recent but also it makes porting new drivers much easier. I guess it won't be long before that new Intel driver will land on FreeBSD as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X