Intel Preparing New "Xe" Linux Kernel Graphics Driver For Modern iGPUs & dGPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
    Please please PLEASE! pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can we see a GUI control panel soon, Intel?
    Take a good, long look at Arc Control on Windows and ask yourself if that's what you reeeeealy want on Linux

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Either make is vendor-agnostic in Qt/GTK or fuck off. I don't need 3 gigabytes of electron blob collecting my private info. Windows GPU GUIs are a fucking shitfest.
    ​Better yet, just implement the options as part of the settings apps of the major DEs (Gnome-control-center, KDE systemsettings, etc). AFAICT the kernel APIs already exist for the various GPU vendors, someone just needs to hook them up to buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

Either make is vendor-agnostic in Qt/GTK or fuck off. I don't need 3 gigabytes of electron blob collecting my private info. Windows GPU GUIs are a fucking shitfest.
      I have to agree, haven't used Windows in years but Catalyst Control center was a huge blob!

Comment

The only thing that could make this better is if it were written in Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
          Would be cool, but Rust in kernel is not ready yet, and I think they heavily reuse the old code.

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
            I think they search Rust experts so maybe try your luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              What about SR-IOV support?
              For fucks sake, we need just one vendor to break the ice on this!
              I've seen some GPU related SR-IOV code on an Intel GitHub page in the past few months but I can't find it. I believe they said they were hoping it would be done some time in 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                Please please PLEASE! pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease can we see a GUI control panel soon, Intel?
                go away. go back to the funny windows farm.

Comment

Xe graphics processors were installed as far back as rocket lake intel cpus.

Maybe you meant as far back as generation 12 GPUs (with rocket lake CPUs) instead of generation 12 GPUs tiger lake CPUs? (See article's included photo caption.)

Whomever is making-up these make/models, must be working within sales and focused on confusing consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
                    Xe graphics processors were installed as far back as rocket lake intel cpus.

Maybe you meant as far back as generation 12 GPUs (with rocket lake CPUs) instead of generation 12 GPUs tiger lake CPUs? (See article's included photo caption.)

Whomever is making-up these make/models, must be working within sales and focused on confusing consumers.
                    Tiger Lake (10nm mobile) was out before Rocket Lake.

Comment

This is great news! Of course we are going to get the usual comments "what about my old hardware will it stop working? do i have to install windows again? boo-hoo" (we always get such comments in stories like these), but i was always surprised they managed to keep that driver unified for so long, seeing as they kept advancing the hardware designs so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X