Intel Announces Iris Xe Desktop Graphics For OEMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curfew View Post
    Newbie thoughts, yippee. Any GPUs, integrated or not, can be combined to assist each other. What cores they contain is irrelevant.
    Greyhair thoughts: It is never that easy in the realty that exists outside the marketing departments

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
      Newbie thoughts, yippee. Any GPUs, integrated or not, can be combined to assist each other. What cores they contain is irrelevant.
      Nonsense. SLI and Hybrid CrossFireX have been doing so for more than a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by f0rmat View Post
        Interesting...finally, another player in the graphics cards market. Hopefully they are able to compete - they certainly have the resources. And Intel (in my experience), despite some of their CPU issues, are fairly good with their graphics drivers - at least they are very timely, anyway.
        Graphic drivers maybe. But official support for their touchscreen driver (used in e.g. the Surface 4++ devices) is non-existent. Although it requires changes to the GPU drivers for on-gpu event processing. Also, their Wifi drivers leave a lot to be desired. I recently bought one of their AX200 Wifi6 devices and it is completely unstable. And before anybody asks, yes, tracked in an issue tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

What are you talking about? Blender can run hardware accelerated on AMD and Intel GPUs with Mesa. Do you mean rendering via GPU?
          My last response got eaten by the forums. So this will be brief haha.

Check out here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blender

Blender officially supports only the proprietary drivers from both AMD (for GCN cards: AMDGPU; For pre-GCN cards: ATI) and NVIDIA.
          Blender only supports the official AMD proprietary drivers for rendering with OpenCL, meaning you will need to install one of the following AMD OpenCL drivers:
          Absolutely it does not mean that support can't be hacked in by individuals. It is just a little disappointing (and bizarre given the history) that Blenders main focus is for blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            I don't know why but a PS5 is cheaper than a graphics card, and it also come in case with a PSU, ram and an ssd (win win!!).
            It is because
            • PS5 is a single-spec machine and can exploit economies of scale to a much larger degree
            • Sony produces the PS5 themselves, so it is not each component manufacturer, distributor, retailer making a profit off it like with PC
            • Sony does not even need to make a profit off PS5 hardware, because they get a share of the software/content/accessory sales. At PS4 launch, Sony was quoted that they made a small profit off the typical initial purchase (console, extra controller, 1-2 games).
            • Assembly is cheaper and easier to automate, as all components have the same properties. On the other hand, every PC mobo, GPU, etc. puts connectors in slightly different places.
            • Normal PC is quite overspecc'ed in terms of PSU, mobo VRM, etc., while Sony can just provide the exact adequate solution
            • PCs have lots of features that most people don't use, like multiple PCIe slots, multiple display outputs, multiple SATA ports, etc. Sony can just cut that out to save money.
            Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
            I wonder why we don't put linux in this...
            Running Linux on consoles becomes possible only after you break the console's security system.

Originally posted by puleglot View Post
            They actually produce best gamepads =P
            PS5 DualSense is the only next-gen controller, hopefully Sony will bring haptic feedback to Linux once they agree with Linux input folks on a framework for that.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

My last response got eaten by the forums. So this will be brief haha.

Check out here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Blender

Absolutely it does not mean that support can't be hacked in by individuals. It is just a little disappointing (and bizarre given the history) that Blenders main focus is for blobs.
              That is for rendering on GPU. While faster, it's not strictly necessary and in some cases detrimental compared to rendering on CPU(s). The Cycles rendering engine does support OpenCL, so if there existed good/working support in the open drivers, there would be no requirement on blobs. I can't see why the developers of a content creation suite should be responsible for that driver work though. The statement that "the only way to use hardware acceleration on Blender is through binary blobs" is simply misinformation.

Comment

What are you talking about? Blender can run hardware accelerated on AMD and Intel GPUs with Mesa. Do you mean rendering via GPU?
                Rendering actually. Opencl is not available for Ryzen APU with Mesa, i found a workaround but never had time to test it.

Comment

That is for rendering on GPU. While faster, it's not strictly necessary and in some cases detrimental compared to rendering on CPU(s).
                  I suppose strictly speaking with technologies like LLVMpipe, a GPU is not needed full stop. However when it comes to a number of complex use-cases, you are at a disadvantage if you cannot take full advantage of your hardware.

And if you can only do that using blobs.. then why not go the full way and just use Windows or Maya?

Comment

Originally posted by Paradigm Shifter View Post

Microsoft still do games - they just focus on XBox and the Microsoft Store. Forza, Gears of War, Halo etc are all work from Microsoft studios. I liked Age of Empires, but AoE2 and AoE3 left me cold. Dungeon Siege was fun, but 2 and 3 were not as good.

I bought the Intellimouse Explorer Optical. Loved it. Really comfortable, although I might be in rose-tinted-glasses mode...

I really miss their gaming hardware division; the Sidewinder joysticks were great... and affordable.
                    Intellimouse - thanks for reminding me of the name. I actually found one of those in my "box of stuff" a few months ago. I tested it and it still works. I really liked all of the AoE Games, but I also have real fondness for Age of Mythology. Dungeon Siege 3 definitely was not very good, but I did really like DS2, although the expansion pack left a bit to be desired.
                    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Graphic drivers maybe. But official support for their touchscreen driver (used in e.g. the Surface 4++ devices) is non-existent. Although it requires changes to the GPU drivers for on-gpu event processing. Also, their Wifi drivers leave a lot to be desired. I recently bought one of their AX200 Wifi6 devices and it is completely unstable. And before anybody asks, yes, tracked in an issue tracker.
                      I forgot about the wifi drivers - but that is not just limited to Intel. How many years did we go with troublesome Realtek wifi drivers? Touchscreen driver - yeah, you are right there. I was mainly referring to GPU drivers since this was about the Intel graphics card. But you are right about the other issues.
                      GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

Working...
                      X