Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Announces Iris Xe Desktop Graphics For OEMs

Phoronix: Intel Announces Iris Xe Desktop Graphics For OEMs

Intel today announced Iris Xe (DG1) discrete graphics cards are coming to OEMs with ASUS being one of their initial partners...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Xe-DG1-Desktop
    Last edited by Michael; 27 January 2021, 05:29 PM.

Interesting...finally, another player in the graphics cards market. Hopefully they are able to compete - they certainly have the resources. And Intel (in my experience), despite some of their CPU issues, are fairly good with their graphics drivers - at least they are very timely, anyway. I love competition and choice. It will be interesting to watch this one. It will be just as interesting to see what AMD and nVidia do if an Intel discrete graphics card actually challenges either of them in any of "their" markets. I certainly hope so, and I hope that Intel's foray has some success and I hope that their discrete graphics cards do not carry the GPU equivalents of some of the recent CPU vulnerabilities. And I hope that they are reasonably priced.

However hope is not a course of action, although many times it seems to be a required condition for success.
    GOD is REAL unless declared as an INTEGER.

Comment

I can't help but feel these are going to become collectors items

I will be scanning ebay to grab some.

Comment

I want more passively cooled graphics card options, so this is good! I am not a high-end gamer.

Comment

Why is it so damn hard to build a high-performing GPU? They have been trying for so long and all the money it possibly could require. Are there only 5 experts on this planet who can do this? Is all the knowledge proprietary? What is it?

Comment

Perfect for my Jellyfin server, it should be really good for on-fly encoding.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
              Why is it so damn hard to build a high-performing GPU? They have been trying for so long and all the money it possibly could require. Are there only 5 experts on this planet who can do this? Is all the knowledge proprietary? What is it?
              They haven't been trying for long at all. They sure as hell won't produce a product competing with top of the line AMD and NVidia in one generation. That's just common sense to anyone that isn't an idiot. It'll take at least 3

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                I have thought about this in the past and my honest guess is because graphics simply aren't that interesting as technical challenges. A team smart enough to make one are probably having more fun working on other unsolved problems.

Likewise those who are only interested in money know that GPUs that aren't NVIDIA or AMD branded are not well received by the consumer communities. So they would not see a good return for their efforts thus they aim them elsewhere (making more shite mobile phones I imagine).
                Last edited by kpedersen; 26 January 2021, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Looks like I was right when I predicted they'd first go after the low TDP end of the business workstation market, and potentially the CAD market (where cards like the AMD WX3100 and the NVidia P400 are the dominant entry level cards), and not even attempt to compete in the gaming pc market.

Comment

I like where the Xe graphics development is going. This basically is very similar to what's inside the 11th gen Cpus right now.
                    I'm a sucker for low powered, passive, and/or integrated graphics that pack some punch, such as integrated vega 11 and the new Xe lineup built in Tiger Lake.
                    Would love to see something like this made for the consumer use, simple small passive Pcie GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X