Intel Rolls Out 10nm Pentium/Celeron CPUs, Previews Rocket Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

I'm curious what out-of-order decode actually means. Do you know?

I kinda' doubt that they're doing out-of-order fetch.

Decoding instructions is for the most part stateless (first instruction doesn't affect the decoding of the second instruction, unless you do some fusion at decode), so it doesn't matter too much the order in which you decode them, as long as you rename them in the correct order.
    It's probably just two-cluster decode ... (decoding two clusters of up to 3 instructions each, in parallel)

Comment

I'm curious what out-of-order decode actually means. Do you know?
      You can look at Anandtech's writeup: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15009...e-tremont-core

Decoding instructions is for the most part stateless (first instruction doesn't affect the decoding of the second instruction,
      It seems to me that you'd need to decode enough of the first instruction to know how long it is, so you know where to start decoding the one after it, and so on.

They don't directly address the out-of-order part, but maybe it refers to the fact that one of the engines can concurrently decode the other path of a predicted branch.

Comment

I'm very interested in the 10nm Pentiums and Celerons.

Hopefully the Chinese will buy up large numbers of them to put in low-cost laptops like the three Chinese laptops I currently own. I may be wrong, but it seems like the small Chinese OEMs love churning out cheap laptops with Atoms and Celerons, which happens to be just up my alley.

My existing Chinese laptops with X7-E3950 and N4100 processors have been able to handle what I need them to do so far, and I would expect no less of the Pentium N6000 and Celeron N5100.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          You can look at Anandtech's writeup: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15009...e-tremont-core

It seems to me that you'd need to decode enough of the first instruction to know how long it is, so you know where to start decoding the one after it, and so on.

They don't directly address the out-of-order part, but maybe it refers to the fact that one of the engines can concurrently decode the other path of a predicted branch.
          Right, decoding two basic blocks makes sense here. And the branch predictor predicts addresses anyway.

They don't use a trace cache, so this makes sense.

Comment

Yeah it looks like a great Atom,
            I just wonder what the discussion was like that lead to Intel's decision to be so ambitious. It's really quite a lot wider than its predacessor. Until this point, their small cores have evolved very gradually and incrementally.

Was it the threat of ARM creeping into more of their markets, like Qualcomm's laptop play? Was it the opportunity they saw in 5G base stations?

Comment

Not sure if you're joking? ... If not, how fast does STEM normally go, and what is "78% faster" equal to? And "78% faster" than what? How long does a similar AMD Ryzen take to perform STEM?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                I'm very interested in the 10nm Pentiums and Celerons.

Hopefully the Chinese will buy up large numbers of them to put in low-cost laptops like the three Chinese laptops I currently own. I may be wrong, but it seems like the small Chinese OEMs love churning out cheap laptops with Atoms and Celerons, which happens to be just up my alley.

My existing Chinese laptops with X7-E3950 and N4100 processors have been able to handle what I need them to do so far, and I would expect no less of the Pentium N6000 and Celeron N5100.
                You buy computing equipment from Chinese OEM's? I'm not quite that brave, my data is valuable to me. Anti-virus won't help when the back doors are baked into the motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                  You buy computing equipment from Chinese OEM's? I'm not quite that brave, my data is valuable to me. Anti-virus won't help when the back doors are baked into the motherboard.
                  My main concern is IoT and networking gear. I bought my current wifi router (Netgear) specifically because it's a US brand and uses a Qualcomm SoC. I know, shame on me for not using opensource firmware, but I didn't need yet one more thing to fiddle with.

Still, the point is there's a lot of inexpensive Chinese networking gear that gets decent reviews which I simply wouldn't touch.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    How nice, accusing the Chinese of planting backdoors when to date there has been no concrete proof of any Chinese hardware being compromised in the supply chain. Conversely, there has been irrevocable proof that the US backdoored critical computing and networking infrastructure to actively spy on others, even its own Five Eyes allies.

I will readily give my data to the Chinese if it means that the Americans can't get their hands on it.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 12 January 2021, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post

I know what STEM stands for... I want to know what exactly is 78% faster.
                      You know when you're deploying your STEM project, but things are going slow, and you think "I could be up to 78% faster with a better CPU!"

So yeah, nonsense marketing buzzwords.

Comment

Working...
                      X