AMD EPYC 7401P: 24 Cores / 48 Threads At Just Over $1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
    Looks like the difference between TR 1950x and EPYC 7401P is quite small in most tests. I think I will go for the TR.
    As I wrote before, I think the actual price/perf winner from AMD is a dual socket Epyc 7281. With availability expected for end of this month, I think two 7281s+mobo are going to cost around 1800€. Which is only slightly more than single 7401P+mobo would cost, and moderately more than TR 1950X.

Comment

Nice results but why the major players are not selling servers with EPYC? I have checked with DELL, HP, Lenovo and none has EPYC servers.

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
        Nice results but why the major players are not selling servers with EPYC? I have checked with DELL, HP, Lenovo and none has EPYC servers.
        Perhaps Intel pays them off.

Comment

Originally posted by trifud View Post
          According to AMD (Q3 report), it's still in testing phase for some customers.

Comment

re; "going to be building myself a beefy personal server machine (not for corporate/enterprise needs) to run CPU intensive tasks on and for large storage with ZFS. I am trying to decide between Threadripper and EPYC," & your later stated intention of leaning to TR, I cant agree.

64 lanes isnt as liberating as it seems. You are limited to 2x 16 lane pcie cards e.g. nvme ssdS will be limited given each uses 4 lanes. raid arrays of them are so fast they can simulate slower memory.

double memory bandwidth is a fundamental benefit of epyc. 16 ram sockets allows use of smaller and so cheaper ram sticks

the extra for an epyc mobo isnt a premium, its a bargain.

Originally posted by tajjada View Post
            Michael, I would be very interested to see how there EPYC parts compare to the Threadripper platform. I am soon going to be building myself a beefy personal server machine (not for corporate/enterprise needs) to run CPU intensive tasks on and for large storage with ZFS. I am trying to decide between Threadripper and EPYC, particularly since Threadripper also supports ECC RAM, unlike Intel's consumer CPUs.

The highest-end Threadripper is priced similarly to the 24-core EPYC you reviewed here ($999 vs $1075 IIRC), so it would be very interesting to see how Threadripper's higher clocks, but fewer cores, cache and memory channels compare to EPYC's more cores with more memory channels and cache, but lower clocks.

This article would have been perfect if it included the Threadripper 1950x. The raw performance and performance/cost graphs are both very interesting. Is there any way to meaningfully combine results from your different benchmarks (possibly using some OpenBenchmarking/PTS tool?) to get the info I want? Or would that be meaningless due to variations in the test setups / the other hardware?

BTW, just bought a new phoronixpremium subscription. Please make it happen.

Comment

Would've been nice to include the 1950x Threadripper as part of the tested units. The rationale being that Intel Xeon Gold CPUs were used in the tests for Threadripper 1950x; and that Threadripper 1950x "sits between the Ryzen 7 desktop processors and the AMD EPYC server/workstation processors" -- https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tr-1950x&num=1

Comment

Working...
              X