Shopping For A Launch-Day AMD Ryzen AI 300 Series Laptop For Linux Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shopping For A Launch-Day AMD Ryzen AI 300 Series Laptop For Linux Testing

Phoronix: Shopping For A Launch-Day AMD Ryzen AI 300 Series Laptop For Linux Testing

With this week's Computex announcement by AMD of the Ryzen AI 300 series laptop processors built atop Zen 5, one of the pleasant aspects has been several laptop models being announced already to be powered by either the Ryzen AI 9 365 or Ryzen AI 9 HX 370 flagship models. Some models are also already available for pre-order ahead of launch day. This is quite nice compared to in the past there was often at times quite a delay between the initial AMD Ryzen mobile announcements and being able to (pre)order any hardware. And thus I've already been looking around to coordinate near launch day Linux testing of the new AMD Zen 5 powered Ryzen AI 300 series hardware...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ryzen AI 9 365 is 10 core, not 6 core. It has 4 Zen 5 cores and 6 Zen 5c cores.

Comment

Originally posted by Wielkie G View Post
      Ryzen AI 9 365 is 10 core, not 6 core. It has 4 Zen 5 cores and 6 Zen 5c cores.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/proc...-ai-9-365.html
      Thanks, yep, fixed.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Zen 5 vs Zen 5c perf and perf per watt comparisons would be so interesting. Hopefully, AMD's patches for their new heterogenous CPUs are available in 6.9 or 6.10. Not sure if the scheduler and EAS will account for it.

Comment

Curious what you do with all these EXPENSIVE laptops after testing Michael? That one in this article is 1,300 dollars! That's a lot of money. Do you sell them used or what?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            Curious what you do with all these EXPENSIVE laptops after testing Michael? That one in this article is 1,300 dollars! That's a lot of money. Do you sell them used or what?
            He probably keeps some of the SKUs for future tests. Oh that and crypto mining /s

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              I re-use them for future tests... Future kernel comparisons, cross distro tests, comparison for future laptop reviews, etc. End up using them for a lot of content given the small number of laptops I have on hand relative to desktops or servers.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm watching this with interest. I'm due a new laptop soon for light gaming, experimenting with machine vision for robotics and general use. I'm particularly interested in if I can get away with integrated graphics + NPU, or if I should go for a separate GPU.

Comment

That ASUS Zenbook S is so much nicer than anything Framework, System76, and TUXEDO put out and at a much better price point.

It makes sense, Asus is a big player and can afford to sell their products at a more competitive price point, those other three are probably barely treading water and don't have the same flexibility.
                  Last edited by sophisticles; 06 June 2024, 01:28 PM.

Comment

3K OLED Touch Screen Laptop
                    Sounds like PWM... Is it possible here to test PWM frequency and PWM "brightness" threshold together with CPU and GPU benchmark?

Comment

Working...
                    X