AMD Ryzen 5 8500G: A Surprisingly Fascinating Sub-$200 CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    the 6 cores/12 threads should be more then enough to power a X710-T4L (4 port 10GBE pci-8 card) along with some VPN's/other programs/VM's.

Really glad such a CPU came out
    You could probably step down even further, to the quad-core 8300G (1 + 3 configuration).

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      You could probably step down even further, to the quad-core 8300G (1 + 3 configuration).
      Yeah I need to do some research on this, I know that for CPU usage the step up from 1GbE to 10GbE is actually quite significant and the X710-T4L is a 4 port 10GbE card with PCIe 8. Quad core should completely be fine under normal use but if you are throttling all ports at same time that may be an issue.

You are most likely right, but I did some googling and 8300G appears to be a mobile chip which can make things more complicated considering X710-T4L is a PCIe 8 card?

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
        I did some googling and 8300G appears to be a mobile chip which can make things more complicated considering X710-T4L is a PCIe 8 card?
        All of theses 8000G processors are basically laptop-oriented SoCs that have been transplanted to an AM5 socket. The key question is how many & what type of PCIe lanes it features. I'm not finding great info on that.

However, it could be a non-issue, since this might turn out to be an OEM-only model. So, unless you can find where to buy it or the 8500G, you might be stuck with the 8600G, even if it's overkill.

Other than limited PCIe connectivity, the only bad thing about these CPUs I see is that the launch price seems a little much.
        Last edited by coder; 19 February 2024, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
          All of theses 8000G processors are basically laptop-oriented SoCs that have been transplanted to an AM5 socket. The key question is how many & what type of PCIe lanes it features. I'm not finding great info on that.

However, it could be a non-issue, since this might turn out to be an OEM-only model. So, unless you can find where to buy it or the 8500G, you might be stuck with the 8600G, even if it's overkill.

Other than limited PCIe connectivity, the only bad thing about these CPUs I see is that the launch price seems a little much.
          Well interestingly the 8500G I can actually buy in Germany, the 8300G I can't so that may be OEM only.

In any case this pet project ain't urgent so I can wait a bit for the 8500G to go down in price.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
            No, it's not. What's coming is for mobile, not desktop.

Yes. Socketed 8C16T Ryzen 4C with ⩾ 20U, 32GB~64GB soldered quad channel ECC LPDDR5 >8500, 65watt TDP please.

Very much welcome this kind of APU. I'll set it at 35W TDP for my workstation.
            Socketed CPU with soldered LPDDR5?

Strix Halo is the only chance to get what you want anytime soon. An 8-core variant should have around 20 CUs and quad-channel memory, performing well at 35W with Zen 5. ECC will depend on the vendor. Get Strix Halo soldered to a mini-ITX board and you'll have a good time, except when paying for it.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

your first argument is nonsense because you can always limit the power limit in bios... means you can set oper limit to 20watt and other people can max it out to 100watt.
              Not always. Not every motherboard have power limit bake in their bios.

your second point... a 256bit interface waste more transistors on the CPU/APU/SOC the MRDIMM option instead waste more tranistors on the RAM not the SOC/CPU/APU...
              Link?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                1. It's not price just for the board. SoC is included. Check the price for any other 16C/32T option and you'll see that the board and the cooler are practically free
                2. Deskminis and similar NUC solutions are far too constrained. Strong point of mini-ITX is to have fast, wide PCIe x16 expansion slot.
                1. Fortunately, for my use case, that's enough. But yes, to each their own. For people that need fastest/newest/flexible PCI lane, > $200 won't get you those board. But for people that just need those 16C/32T power, and choose to use mediocre GPU and just v3 PCIe NVME, > $200 still enough for them.
                2. Again, for my use case (and many others), it's enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jaxa View Post
                  Socketed CPU with soldered LPDDR5?

Strix Halo is the only chance to get what you want anytime soon. An 8-core variant should have around 20 CUs and quad-channel memory, performing well at 35W with Zen 5. ECC will depend on the vendor. Get Strix Halo soldered to a mini-ITX board and you'll have a good time, except when paying for it.
                  Yes, soldered RAM is unheard of for socketed CPU. But well, I can dream, can't I?
                  One of my fear with soldered CPU is that the board can go kaput anytime, and usually, the CPU survives. With socketed CPU, we can harvest the CPU, put it on another mobo.

Comment

Not always. Not every motherboard have power limit bake in their bios.
                    Link?
                    if you buy a mainboard without ability of power limiting the cpu then it is your fault you could have read the manual to check this.

and link? i do not need any link for this. if you go from 128bit interface to 256bit interface you need the double amount of tranistors on the SOC.

if you go with the MRDIMM option the tranistors are wasted on a chip on the RAM DIMM ...
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X