AMD Ryzen 5 8500G: A Surprisingly Fascinating Sub-$200 CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
    Give me an APU with half the power consumption and then we talk. Too expensive and too powerful for my mini PC needs.
    Ryzen 5700G?

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      I won't buy boards that is > $200. I'll get something like Deskmini X600. Like now, I get Asrock Deskmini X300 (can be had for ~$130).
      Doesn't that x600 ship with a 150W psu? That's way too low for a cpu that spikes around 120 with pbo enabled

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
        Doesn't that x600 ship with a 150W psu? That's way too low for a cpu that spikes around 120 with pbo enabled
        I would think so. Even if they're not, I have no problem with 120W cpu like X300 as I'll undervolt and underclock it to just 35~45 watt (peak to about 60-70 watt I think).

Comment

I would think so. Even if they're not, I have no problem with 120W cpu like X300 as I'll undervolt and underclock it to just 35~45 watt (peak to about 60-70 watt I think).
          Fair enough. I got myself a 36€ 3.8L itx case and 300W flex to build a remote office machine for the next summer with one of those apus, and have low heat/power gaming with more grunt than my steam deck.

But now I'm left facing having to buy a 200€ meh A620i board, waiting, or finding another option.

This prices in EU don't make any sense, and all itx am5 boards have major compromises. Like currently if you want dual display out, you can't have 2 nvme.

I guess waiting it is, then, maybe manufacturers will come with better solutions for boards not geared towards adding a discrete gpu.

Comment

Power ceiling. I don't want something that goes low like 5 watt idle, but can go as high as > 100 watt when on load.
            What logic is that, in-cpu RAM use many more transistors vs socketed RAM?
            your first argument is nonsense because you can always limit the power limit in bios... means you can set oper limit to 20watt and other people can max it out to 100watt.

your second point... a 256bit interface waste more transistors on the CPU/APU/SOC the MRDIMM option instead waste more tranistors on the RAM not the SOC/CPU/APU...

but keep in mind cpu tranistors are much more expensive than ram transistors.
            Last edited by qarium; 14 February 2024, 04:29 PM.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post

your first argument is nonsense because you can always limit the power limit in bios... means you can set oper limit to 20watt and other people can max it out to 100watt.

your second point... a 256bit interface waste more tranistors on the CPU/APU/SOC the MRDIMM option instead waste more tranistors on the RAM not the SOC/CPU/APU...

but keep in mind cpu tranistors are much more expensive than ram transistors.
              Are tranistors the foundation of woke cpus?

Comment

Originally posted by citral View Post
                Are tranistors the foundation of woke cpus?
                i corrected it... but you know that if you make such a woke joke next year they will demand to have woke tranisor cpus for the special people you know.

so better don't make a joke like this.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I won't buy boards that is > $200. I'll get something like Deskmini X600. Like now, I get Asrock Deskmini X300 (can be had for ~$130).
                  1. It's not price just for the board. SoC is included. Check the price for any other 16C/32T option and you'll see that the board and the cooler are practically free

2. Deskminis and similar NUC solutions are far too constrained. Strong point of mini-ITX is to have fast, wide PCIe x16 expansion slot.

Comment

Idk the expandability of itx sounds stupid to me. There are way too many compromises on price, thermals, vrms, psu, with itx. If you need a fat gpu, chances are you don't need itx. Just go for m-atx and get proper airflow and cable management. A jonsbo D30 is barely bigger than a nr200p, which use case really needs to save 2 liters? It's stupid.

Itx makes sense for a 3.2-4L super small case and flex psu, that you can just throw in backpack, and it's best paired with just an APU imo.

Comment

So on a slightly related topic, I am going to start setting up a 10Gbe router at home using OpenSense and this seems like the perfect CPU for it. The insane power efficiency makes a difference for a system thats running 24/7 (I live in Germany where power isn't so cheap) and the 6 cores/12 threads should be more then enough to power a X710-T4L (4 port 10GBE pci-8 card) along with some VPN's/other programs/VM's.

Really glad such a CPU came out

Comment

Working...
                      X