Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qarium View Post
    intel is a complete clusterfuck:
    bit really relevant to the issue at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      for the pvr gpu driver, yeah that sucks for linux users and yeah windows too, but this is no where near as bad as outright selling EOL'd devices as brand new, and then even advertising them to gamers. and as for their new GPU line, this is entirely a moot point, Intel came out from the gates saying that these devices were going to have bugs and that they were relying on early adopters to help file reports. There was no deception at all in either of these cases, yes the PVR drivers sucked. but they sucked all around and they weren't even Intel's drivers, they outsourced them, the change article even explicitly states that. as far as I know, intel never had any deception here.
      The xe gpu's, yeah that sucked, but we already knew going into it they were going to be buggy, anyone who didn't know that is quite frankly, really kinda dumb, Intel explicitly stated on multiple platforms, including LTT that the cards were going to come, they were going to be broken, and that the people who were buying these cards were going to be buying them for the long game. no deception here either.
      Compare this with what AMD is doing, AMD put these vega chips on life support. The statement provided to anandtech from AMD;
      This means that these devices are no longer getting support for non important security and functionality updates. Sketchy wording aside lets give AMD the benefit of the doubt and assume this means they will at least be getting driver updates for games that fix breaking functionality. To me, in no way does this even remotely imply they would be getting performance updates for these games, no longer getting updates for new d3d12/vk features that can potentially greatly influence performance so on and so forth.
      and this is AMD's own words, with my own emphasis add on top;
      to me, this is a clear deception, for a device marked to gamers, these are devices that are unlikely to go the distance even for a year, let alone two to three years as one would expect their hardware to last for. As new vulkan extensions come out, which some games may or may not rely. This will not have all the performance needed. and if the functionality isn't "important" but games rely on it anyways, this will just be more things you just straight up cannot do with it.
      to me, the things you quoted, are no where near as bad as this
      "vega chips on life support"

so you claim the vega64 in my system is on life support and i will have trouble in using this card and my system...
      but i can tell you everything works very well. gnome 45 on fedora 39 works very well all the game in steam proton work very well.
      but i admit i would not advice to use Polaris/Vega with legancy drivers on microsoft windows because if something breaks you are lost.
      but on linux with opensource drivers ? lol if something breaks it will be fixed very fast. (but of course not from AMD developers)

Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
        "vega chips on life support"
        so you claim the vega64 in my system is on life support and i will have trouble in using this card and my system...
        when did I claim this?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Not to my knowledge. You could put a good passive cooler on it or you may limit the PCIe generation of the slot to one gen older and therefore limit max read write performance. I'm running a gen 4 NVMe in a gen 3 slot and it stays save under 50 °C despite being in a bad vented place (motherboard backside) with no cooler.

The performance hit between gen 4 and 3 will not be noticeable if you're not constantly copying massive files from one NVMe to another on the same system. Most of the time everything else in your system will be the limiting factor.
          Yeah, my first thoughts were either some sort of software over/underclocking tool for the actual device itself, or limiting in BIOS/Wifey(UEFI) the PCIe version it's talking to.

Passive cooling is not a thing here specifically. Especially the increasingly large coolers that come with these sticks. On the coast it might be fine but here, it's active only, as the ambient (and UV, which is commonly above Index 15, heat generation radiates from everything....we have a big hole above Australia (not man-made BTW) which lets in all to much of the hot stuff) can actually cook your eggs quite nice in even mild temps of 30degC.

Problem with active cooling is it drags in the microbial sized dust particles 🍆 🍑

Whattayado!? Can't work in a hermetically sealed room when doing exploration work heheh.
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
            On the coast it might be fine but here, it's active only, as the ambient (and UV, which is commonly above Index 15, heat generation radiates from everything....we have a big hole above Australia (not man-made BTW) which lets in all to much of the hot stuff) can actually cook your eggs quite nice in even mild temps of 30degC.
            I don't understand this, for passive cooling you need a temperature difference between the air (which you said is at 30°C) and your passive cooler (let's say 50°C). There should also be no problem with radiation because you have all this in you PC case and not lying opened in the sun?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
              I don't understand this, for passive cooling you need a temperature difference between the air (which you said is at 30°C) and your passive cooler (let's say 50°C). There should also be no problem with radiation because you have all this in you PC case and not lying opened in the sun?
              It's not in the sun. Everything else is. 'Everything else' absorbs this heat and radiates it. Steel is a common construction material out here (ants will destroy untreated timber within weeks), and it will continue to radiate heat for hours after sunset. Adding to that, if the ambient is still 20+ degree's with little to no wind and high humidity, it's a slow process to dissipate that heat. Simple solution is SSD's drives of course, but I am wishfully thinking for a simple fix for nVME. It's becoming standard, and if fellow workmate's with new laptops are having issues with heat dissipation from CPU, GPU and now their storage (harder to replace than spinning rust) coupled with dust, a simple fix with lowering clocks would be easy, but nVME is the dastardly devil right now creating tissues.

30 degree's is also a 'nice day' =) It's not uncommon to hit 40-45.
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

A gpu to play above 1080p low would be in the realm of 500$ or so. Being able to play 1080 games without dgpu is quite handy for casual gamers or people who plan on making a gpu purchase down the line. The CPU is pretty much on par with non-apu parts who have much weaker io die gpu, so the 1080p graphics is essentially "free".

1080p is not too shabs for a "free" gpu.
                6700xt is under 350usd and runs 1440p just fine at over 100fps consistently. My son has one in his machine, he tunes it to run games at 165fps where possible.

Comment

Working...
                X