AMD Introduces Ryzen 8000G Series & Even New Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Introduces Ryzen 8000G Series & Even New Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs

Phoronix: AMD Introduces Ryzen 8000G Series & Even New Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs

AMD used CES 2024 to announce their new Ryzen 8000G series desktop processors and even introducing some new Ryzen 5000 series SKUs. Here are the key details from today's AMD Ryzen announcements while awaiting hardware for Linux testing.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The new AMD Ryzen 8000G series desktop processors are up to 8 cores / 16 thread Zen 5 processors
    Zen 4, no?

Comment

I wonder, who is the target audience for a 1080p on low gaming system with a $329 processor? It will be more expensive then PS5/SeriesX which are marketed as 4k devices...
      Last edited by Mathias; 08 January 2024, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

Zen 4, no?
        yes, these are zen 4, not zen 5. Michael

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post

Zen 4, no?
          Typo, fixed. Thanks.
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

So are they releasing Vega chips in 2024, having already stopped officially supporting Vega in 2023?
            9d5.png
            Attached Files

Comment

For me an interesting test would be between the 8700G and the R9 7900.

The 8700G is 8C/16T with a more powerful iGPU + hardware AI but the 7900 has 12C/24T with a decent iGPU and no hardware AI.

In Windows workloads that can benefit for the AI acceleration, like the applications mentioned, I wonder if the 4 extra cores would be enough to offset the dedicated hardware of the 8700G.

Of course you could always just buy an 8300G and buy a cheap dGPU that supports hardware AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                I wonder, who is the target audience for a 1080p on low gaming system with a $329 processor? It will be more expensive then PS5/SeriesX which are marketed as 4k devices...
                but often only at 30FPS. AMD benchmarks say 60-120FPS depending on the title. You also have to factor in heavy discounted games on the Steam vs way higher console game prices.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                  The same as who had the previous generations. I have a 5700G because I played very casually some eSports titles. Everything I played worked alright.
                  Before it was said, that the 8700G should be on par with a 1060, so I would assume you are not bound to low details necessarily

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post
                    So are they releasing Vega chips in 2024, having already stopped officially supporting Vega in 2023?
                    9d5.png
                    Which one is Vega?

I thought it was RDNA2.

Comment

Working...
                    X