Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
    [...]
    The 8700G is 8C/16T with a more powerful iGPU + hardware AI but the 7900 has 12C/24T with a decent iGPU and no hardware AI.

In Windows workloads that can benefit for the AI acceleration, like the applications mentioned, I wonder if the 4 extra cores would be enough to offset the dedicated hardware of the 8700G.
    [...]
    I don't see the point. The AI cores are solely for just that: Processing AI models that are delivered in a standardized format like ONNX so you don't need permanent cloud / internet access (especially relevant for mobile use). I've seen a presentation about those AMD AI cores on CPU (don't mix with GPU). To my understanding they are specialized cores in a programmable mesh with small local memory. Not the fastest way to do things but more energy efficient. A bit like the Google Coral TPUs.

So a 8700G will be your choice, if you don't want to use a dedicated GPU. If it is ready for Win12 you will never know before Win12 is officially released. Rumors say the TOPS can be generated on cpu/gpu/npu what ever is available. So a NPU is fine, but not necessary.
    The 7900 is a mixed bag. You get 12 cores on 2 chiplets that add some latency. If you need 12 cores for your use case the decision is clear. If not, then better compare it to a 7700X or 7800X3D. Because you need a dGPU anyway, this would be the next best option for AI use, not the 4 additional 4 cpu cores.

If you want the safe route for AI stuff I would wait until the release of the Zen5 cpus later this year. If they all have AI hardware then it's again an easy choice. If not, see above.

Comment

Originally posted by mihau View Post
      So are they releasing Vega chips in 2024, having already stopped officially supporting Vega in 2023?
      im quite honestly baffled that AMD would stoop this low. Vega devices are on lifesupport, they no longer get per game fixes which are often times critcial to a semi decent experience, no longer benefit from general perf optimizations... and they have the absolute balls on them to advertise them for gaming... yeah Im no longer buying AMD products, and am going to reccomend my friends avoid them, I don't like what Nvidia is doing, hopefully intel can unfuck the gpu market

Comment

Is it because of the iGPU that it's still 8 cores and with a lower cache than Zen2?​​​​​​​

True, what I'm wondering is why AMD is still maintaining their two separate Vulkan drivers instead of giving the official blessing to RADV and moving development resources there. It's already the de facto standard, for gaming at least. Compute people are probably using AMDGPU-PRO anyway. Why maintain a third, inferior driver? It's not free, and since they're dropping support for *current* GPUs from the main branch it clearly costs them quite a bit.
        They're not really maintaining 2 drivers though, it's the same with a different compiler (weren't they switching the pro to llvm as well?)
        amdvlk comes from their common base that works on windows, can RADV work there too?

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
          Is it because of the iGPU that it's still 8 cores and with a lower cache than Zen2?​​​​​​​

They're not really maintaining 2 drivers though, it's the same with a different compiler (weren't they switching the pro to llvm as well?)
          amdvlk comes from their common base that works on windows, can RADV work there too?
          Sure, but they're still releasing the PRO and open variants separately, that is not free. Documentation is also not free to write. It costs them a non zero amount of money to release the open variant while they could keep it closed. They should be commended for the effort IMO, but if they wanted to make the very best driver for Linux they'd contribute to RADV instead, so IDK what to think of it.

They likely could use mesa / radv on windows if they wanted to, but then they'd be giving up some control, and would need to open some of their Windows driver code to comply with the GPL, and that'll never happen...

Comment

hey chill man, I was just having a laugh
            Come one, the post was clearly sarcastic...

Comment

Say what you will about Intel, but at least when they refresh their portfolios they refresh the entire lineup with latest standards, meanwhile Cezanne and other Renoir derivatives don't even have USB4.
              Is there a strong practical need for usb 4 on "value platforms"? And if so, what is that use case that's evading me?

As of why intel is doing it, I'd say it is safe bet to exclude "because they love you and care about you" as a main motivation, that would almost certainly be an economic reason.

And correct me if I am wrong, but "intel refresh everything" just launched its 14th gen, which nobody in the tech industry seems to consider an improvement over 13th gen. It brings into question the very purpose of launching an entire new product line that is in no way better than the previous.

Meanwhile, amd's "snake oil" "fake last gen" 7000 mobile series chips that are still based on zen 3 show a healthy 20% boost of performance compared to the previous 5000 series.

Honestly, I'd take the "20% faster old gen refresh" before the "2% faster latest gen with usb 4".

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                I wonder, who is the target audience for a 1080p on low gaming system with a $329 processor? It will be more expensive then PS5/SeriesX which are marketed as 4k devices...
                I'm interested in desktop APUs containing the full fat top tier mobile iGPU. I could play less demanding stuff directly on the APU, and use the dGPU in a passthrough Windows VM for games that don't work well / at all in Linux.

Comment

Dang it, I just upgraded to a 5800X to replace my 1600 to get a significant performance bump without changing MB or DDR5 RAM. Bought it for 230$ since the 5800x3d was 370$ where I live, but if the 5700x3d actually sells for it's MSRP at 230$ too then I just did a bad deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
                    I wonder, who is the target audience for a 1080p on low gaming system with a $329 processor? It will be more expensive then PS5/SeriesX which are marketed as 4k devices...
                    Most people will spend at least $800 in hardware if they buy either the PS5 or Series X. That's about what I spent on my Dad for Christmas for his PS5 setupcv. The PS5 and 4TB NVMe was $740 after tax plus I spent $50 for a charging stand and $10 on a PSVR adapter. An extra controller will cost him $75.

Someone like me would be the target audience. I don't like to spend more than $350 before tax on any one individual component (ask me why I've always used lower GPU settings) and I like the idea of having an iGPU that can play games and run a desktop so the dGPU can be utilized for other tasks. The iGPU was the biggest comprimise going from my 4650G to a 7800X3D. These are also cheaper than the 7700X while having similar specs; 300mhz less max boost and 10mb less L2 cache in exchange for AI and a better iGPU. I hope they come out with a 9800G3D.

The 8800G would be great to use as the base APU for a new-age Steam Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

im quite honestly baffled that AMD would stoop this low. Vega devices are on lifesupport, they no longer get per game fixes which are often times critcial to a semi decent experience, no longer benefit from general perf optimizations... and they have the absolute balls on them to advertise them for gaming... yeah Im no longer buying AMD products, and am going to reccomend my friends avoid them, I don't like what Nvidia is doing, hopefully intel can unfuck the gpu market
                      Well, they're just refreshes of APUs that already had Vega cores. I'd be upset if AMD was releasing AM5 APUs with Vega, but putting Vega on AM4 APUs is just them releasing the same ole, same ole.

Comment

Working...
                      X