No announcement yet.

AMD Introduces Ryzen 8000G Series & Even New Ryzen 5000 Series CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hope they calm down with the naming madness with whatever come out after zen because it's getting out of hand...
    names don't really mean what we think they mean anymore and there is no logic at all, this is pure madness.

Comment

wen zen5 🤔

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Well, they're just refreshes of APUs that already had Vega cores. I'd be upset if AMD was releasing AM5 APUs with Vega, but putting Vega on AM4 APUs is just them releasing the same ole, same ole.
        the point is that they are releasing EOL'd GPUs, in their brand new APUs, marketed to gamers even though they won't get the game specific fixes, performance increases that come from updates etc. they werent even transparent about it on the marketing slides. I'm quite upset with AMD, I don't see myself selling AMD products any time soon again. I would honestly rather them just left them to rot, at least that way unsuspecting people won't get suckered into buying a brand new EOL'd device

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
          the point is that they are releasing EOL'd GPUs, in their brand new APUs, marketed to gamers
          I doubt it's marketed to gamers. Rather to people who play games not that often and don't want to spend money on discrete GPU which they won't use 90% of time anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Which one is Vega?

I thought it was RDNA2.
            All the AM5 APUs are RDNA3.

Comment

Originally posted by ffs_ View Post
              I doubt it's marketed to gamers. Rather to people who play games not that often and don't want to spend money on discrete GPU which they won't use 90% of time anyway.
              A "gamer" is someone who plays games, and well, you can see the marketing for the GT right from this very article, it's very explicitly marketed to people who want to play games, hence gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                Again, nothing below 65W. We only have 10W ultra-slow Intels, and 65W crazy fast AMDs. Whyyyy. I'd love to build an ultra low noise, yet performand, 30W-ish mini PC, but nopppe.
                I mean you could get a 65W APU and cap it to 30W yourself. It's essentially the same silicon as the one you see in 23W laptops, repackaged in AM4. Should get great performance and efficiency. My 5700G does 3.1GHz all core @30W and stays at a cool 41 degrees

On the other hand the Vermeer CPUs with chiplets tend to consume a LOT of power at idle, upwards of 20W, presumably because of the inter-die links needing higher power to maintain integrity. The APUs are way more efficient, because they're monolithic (and designed for laptops)
                Last edited by mihau; 09 January 2024, 07:08 AM.

Comment

A "gamer" is someone who plays games, and well, you can see the marketing for the GT right from this very article, it's very explicitly marketed to people who want to play games, hence gamers.
                  Someone plays every day, someone plays once a month. If you call both a "gamer" then you shouldn't have a problem with AMD marketing.

Comment

im quite honestly baffled that AMD would stoop this low. Vega devices are on lifesupport, they no longer get per game fixes which are often times critcial to a semi decent experience, no longer benefit from general perf optimizations... and they have the absolute balls on them to advertise them for gaming... yeah Im no longer buying AMD products, and am going to reccomend my friends avoid them, I don't like what Nvidia is doing, hopefully intel can unfuck the gpu market
                    So you don't want to buy Nvidia because of their driver politics and also no AMD because of their driver politics but Intel is your savior? Have you already forgotten what they did with their ATOM GPUs? You can just wait 3 years and forget what AMD or NVIDIA did and buy their cards again.

Edit:
                    Originally posted by mihau View Post
                    I mean you could get a 65W APU and cap it to 30W yourself. It's essentially the same silicon as the one you see in 23W laptops, repackaged in AM4. Should get great performance and efficiency. My 5700G does 3.1GHz all core @30W and stays at a cool 41 degrees
                    Yepp, those APUs are very versatile but don't expect the same performance at Laptop TDPs because the desktop units are actually waste dies from the laptop selection that couldn't achieve the needed power efficiency but are running fine with a little more voltage.
                    ​
                    But depending on your BIOS you can easily set them to 35W TDP and it will only be a noticeable hit on long all core loads. There are even more options like under volting, limiting max temperature, etc.
                    Last edited by Anux; 09 January 2024, 08:22 AM.

Comment

While we're on underclocking/volting, can you do the same with nVME? Having a hell of a time with them overheating incessantly. Having to revert to SSD. Cheaper storage anyway, but would be nice to still use the slot(s).
                      Hi

Comment

Working...
                      X