No announcement yet.

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX Linux Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love how it has a hard cap on power consumption and does not budge - even if that's a lot of power and heat, it's still manageable, with it being so predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooe View Post
      Brainwashed Intel fanboy says what? 🤣
      What?

Comment

Originally posted by DavidBrown View Post

It is fairly crazy that anyone would spend so much money on such a powerful processor, and then use a toy OS in the first place. But even if you have to use Windows, it takes a special kind of brainless setup to be doing massive multi-processor work on a system crippled by Windows Defender or other pointless unnecessary roadblocks. If people are trying to do massive software builds, from disk, to disk, with anti-virus junk running, then I fully agree that spending more than about $500 on the cpu is a waste of money - AMD or Intel. You do your software builds without anti-virus junk, with your source code cached in ram, and if you are using a decent OS then most of your build objects never leave ram. The same applies to video encoding, simulations, or whatever else you are doing. Along with the fast cpu you need plenty of ram and good NVM SSDs for the bits that have to be in non-volatile storage.
        Did you read Michael's review, where he explicitly says HP sent this system with Windows 11 installed?

I know the Linux faithful like to pretend otherwise, but for most workstation tasks, Windows is the dominant OS.

And unless the system is air-gaped, you are going to be running Defender, or some other security software.

BTW, in case you missed it, the person being interviewed for that article was an AMD engineer.

I think he knows was he is talking about.
        Last edited by sophisticles; 22 November 2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

Much like how Amd is also showing us how to do a graceful big little design optimization - not by shoehorning together two bad core types from their two segments and creating performance asymmetry and a scheduling conundrum, amd's hybrid chips will have nearly identical IPC across all cores, amd is only trimming resources from the "many" cores that will not be hitting the top boost clocks in sustained MT scenarios anyway,
          What matters for the scheduling complexity isn't IPC. It's iso-voltage performance. Same IPC doesn't mean same performance iso-voltage, because the dense Zen cores don't have the same voltage-frequency curve as the regular ones. On desktop chips that don't have FIVR to run each core at the optimal voltage, running all the cores at the same clock speed is just throwing performance out the tailpipe.​

sophisticles, none of the benchmarks you've linked show the "fake" cores proving their worth. In fact you've giving examples of the peak performance of Intel's big cores proving its worth, while the "fake" cores do nothing. All of those applications have poor thread count scaling.

Comment

why should anyone buy a intel CPU to run TensorFlow on it only because the intel CPU has Matrix-calculation acceleration ???

put in 3 AMD PRO W7900 or AMD MI100 Instinct cards and then you have your performance and of course AMD Instinct cards also have Matrix-calculation acceleration.
            Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Michael

Zero-Day/Zero-Click Exploid installs Trojan by web links in Phoronix.com forum.

Someone used a Zero-Day/Zero-Click Exploid to install Trojan on their victims computer by web links placed in Phoronix.com forum.

5-10 minutes ago something strange happened
              there did come the info from gnome app store update service that there are updates ready and even a critical security patch (i never did see a package with such a warning)
              i did opened infos about this about what was it. it was the language package of the firefox browser.

The critial zero day security hole was fixed in firefox version 120
              i directly did install the updates
              but i thought i can wait with the nessesary system restart until i go to bed
              that turned out to be a big mistake.
              means the old firefox version 119 with the security hole was still running because i did not close the firefox and startet the firefox again. other updates for the kernel need restart of the full system.
              Then i was surving the phoronix forum...
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this topic
              and on page 2-3 you can see someone posting about intel cpu is very good and beats AMD
              i clicked on the link and the browser Tab did crash
              this was very suspicious to me because i watched/listened to a docu/talk about Zero Click/Zero day exploids that this exploid they talked about did crash the browser and this crash was a symtom of the zero day exploid jailbreak the Iphone and this installed a Trojan horse on the iphone then the government could spy on the victim with the help of this NSO group Trojan horse.

i think someone placed links on the phoronix.com forum
              with a similar zero day exploid what did make it install a trojan horse on my computer.

see this video this was the talk/documentary about this zero day/zero click exploid
              i then did shut down my computer ... i need to backup my data and make a fresh install to remove the trojan horse.
              i don't think they could do something harmfull in less than 5 minutes
              but i maybe need to check my computer on trojan/virus with desinfect virus scanner linux distro.

Please make copy of the infection links and send it to CitizenLab https://citizenlab.ca/

The cabale deep state is targening the open-source community on phoronix.com with zero day/zero click exploids to install Trojan horse on their victims computer.​

Comment

Michael

Patternz a Israel Spy tool use Ads on phoronix.com to spy on people

Patternz made by a Israel company use Ads on phoronix.com to spy on people like me.​
                ​

Comment

"sophisticles" spread ZeroDay exploiding links

the forum user sophisticles spread ZeroDay exploid link who use a security vulnerability in the Firefox 119. in the language package of firefox. it was fixed in fedora 39 with the upgrade to the version firefox 120

see his post on this page of this topic:

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX Linux Performance Benchmarks The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7970X/7980X Linux benchmark review shows just how well the new Zen 4 powered HEDT Threadripper processors can perform with up to the 64 core flagship offering. The results were stunning while today the review embargo also

it looks like the exploid installs a israel based trojan horse from the company
                  NSO Group​.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

What would happen is that the Ryzen system would be ahead, then as it crossed the 16gb ram usage mark the i7 would catch up and overtake it, then depending on the length of the video if the project crossed the 32gb mark, the Ryzen would overtake the i7.
                    So what you are saying is that you think HPC processors are a scam because some tasks need a lot of ram and run slowly if they don't have enough ram? Isn't that blindingly obvious?

No one - not AMD, Intel, Phoronix or any poster here - is suggesting that more or faster cores will compensate for too little memory. And you can argue that for some tasks, you probably need to have more memory to keep a 64 core processor at peak, compared to a 32 core processor. So if your Ryzen machine had 32 GB, it would be faster than the i7 on all lengths of video. And its likely that for longer videos, increasing the Ryzen machine from 32 gb to 64 gb will be a bigger benefit than increasing the i7 from 32 gb to 64 gb would be. Does that mean the Ryzen is a "scam" ? No, of course it does not. It means the Ryzen is faster than the i7 across the board, but to really take advantage of it, you want a lot of memory.

So these HPC chips are not a scam. But if someone tries to persuade you to spend all your cash on the highest cpu count and skimp on the ram, then that person is maybe scamming you.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Did you read Michael's review, where he explicitly says HP sent this system with Windows 11 installed?

I know the Linux faithful like to pretend otherwise, but for most workstation tasks, Windows is the dominant OS.

And unless the system is air0gaped, you are going to be running Defender, or some other security software.

BTW, in case you missed it, the person being interviewed for that article was an AMD engineer.

I think he knows was he is talking about.
                      I read the article. And the AMD engineer was entirely correct - for some types of work, when you have a powerful multi-core processor, processing power is no longer the bottleneck it used to be, and you see other things being the limiting factor. This should be easy to see, but some people will miss it, and wonder why their new PC is not as fast as they thought it should be - they need to change their working methods.

For your information, Linux is the main choice of OS for many demanding tasks. It is not the typical choice for video processing, which seems to be your use-case, but it is the choice for a lot of heavy software development work and big builds. Of course, many users don't get to choose their OS, and many users don't know enough about the differences to make good choices. And if you are developing for Windows, you generally do so on Windows. From my own work in embedded development, where the tools are almost always cross-platform and the target is embedded electronics, Linux can be up to twice as fast as Windows on the same hardware when doing big builds. (That's from direct measurements - builds were even faster running on a virtual machine running Windows, on a Linux host, than using native Windows on the same hardware.)

I am not, however, trying to say that people using HPC processors on demanding tasks run Linux. I am merely saying that in many cases, they'd get better results if they did.

And if they run Windows, then they would have to be idiots to use Defender or other so-called "security" software that scans files that are read or written during demanding work. A large proportion of users have been brain-washed into the idea that inline virus scanners will keep their Windows systems safe, and that MS Defender or Norton or other such tools is necessary and sufficient for security. The reality is that such things are neither necessary nor sufficient. However, I don't expect people running complex simulations, rendering big 3D scenes, building big software systems, or doing other work that justifies a $10k processor to be experts in IT security - that's not their job. I expect whoever provides them with a workstation at $20k and software costing perhaps $50k to let them do their job without an absurd "security" ball and chain crippling their machine.

Comment

Working...
                      X