AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX Linux Performance Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
    They went for "fake cores" to prop up their core count numbers, and as a result it now takes roughly twice as many cores for intel to be competitive, leading to core performance and core count being huge advantages to amd.
    I wonder if i can find any benchmarks from a reputable source, where a $600 i9 14900K, with only 8 "real" cores and 16 "fake" cores is "propped" up enough to beat a $2500 7970X with 32 "real" cores?

What do you thing, do you think such benchmark results exist?

No, you're right, those "fake" cores are a scam.

The new AMD Threadripper 7000 series offers substantial performance gains in Lightroom Classic - at times being 2x faster than the previous generation. But how does that compare to Intel's Xeon W family?

Photoshop may not be a targeted applications for high core count CPUs like AMD's new Threadripper 7000 series, but it can be worth knowing how it stacks up against Intel's Xeon offerings.

AMD has launched their new Threadripper 7000 series of processors, offering substantial performance improvements across the board. But, exactly how do they compare to Intel's Xeon W-3400 line?

The new AMD Threadripper 7000 processors aim to extend AMD's lead over Intel in the pro market, but are they significantly faster than the previous generation Threadripper PRO 5000 WX-series?

I suggest you look through all the Premiere benchmarks, where the $600 i9 14900K, with only 8 "real" cores and 16 "fake" cores is effectively tied with the 7980X with it's 64 "real" cores and $5000 price tag.

How does that make you feel?

Do you want to cry about it?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      I wonder if i can find any benchmarks from a reputable source, where a $600 i9 14900K, with only 8 "real" cores and 16 "fake" cores is "propped" up enough to beat a $2500 7970X with 32 "real" cores? What do you thing, do you think such benchmark results exist? No, you're right, those "fake" cores are a scam. https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...l-xeon-w-3400/ https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...l-xeon-w-3400/ https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...eation-review/ https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...l-xeon-w-3400/ I suggest you look through all the Premiere benchmarks, where the $600 i9 14900K, with only 8 "real" cores and 16 "fake" cores is effectively tied with the 7980X with it's 64 "real" cores and $5000 price tag. How does that make you feel? Do you want to cry about it?
      Premiere Pro has certain specific requeriments and the app may not be optimized too

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

I wonder if i can find any benchmarks from a reputable source, where a $600 i9 14900K, with only 8 "real" cores and 16 "fake" cores is "propped" up enough to beat a $2500 7970X with 32 "real" cores?

How does that make you feel?

Do you want to cry about it?
        The ones that should be doing the crying are adobe software architects. Adobe software is abysmally bad - bloated, inefficient and poorly scaling. It is a crime to charge money for it.

Who knows, maybe the reason intel's core sucks so much is it is optimized to get "tEH best scoreZ" in lousy software. Lousy cores optimized for lousy software LOL.

And basing your argument on such a lousy test case makes for a very lousy argument in turn. Ridiculous on your behalf, on account of the fact amd is trashing intel across the board. Making any definitive argument on the merit of a 32 core processor on the basis of one particular software test that can't even properly scale to 8 cores is outright dumb.

Comment

The Gamers Nexus review, despite being Windows-focused, will answer a lot of your questions.

Basically it's somewhere in the range of 5700X to 7700X performance in more single-threaded and/or less multi-threaded workloads, and that include both games and the various aforementioned Adobe programs where the end result are these Threadrippers being bested by Raptor Lake, hence why even the AM5 7950X has more cores than the aforementioned software (games included) tend to know what to do with.

Comment

My grandma drives a cheap prius better than an expensive ferrari.

Therefore prius is clearly superior vehicle to ferrari!

Comment

sophisticles from the website you linked from a few times:
              It is worth keeping in mind that the new Threadripper 7000 Series does have a few drawbacks compared to Threadripper PRO 5000WX and Intel Xeon W-3400. Namely, they support half the number of memory channels and have fewer PCIe lanes. However, the memory channel difference shouldn’t impact the majority of workflows we tested in this article, and they still have 48 Gen5 PCIe lanes, which is enough to handle 2–3 GPUs for applications like DaVinci Resolve that can benefit from multiple GPUs. Of course, that depends on finding a motherboard with the right slot layout, but from a pure capability standpoint, Threadripper 7000 should be more than enough for most users.

In other words, while Threadripper 7000 might not be a direct replacement for Threadripper PRO 5000WX and Intel Xeon W-3400 in all situations, we anticipate it will take over for most of them. In the cases where you do need more memory channels or PCIe lanes, AMD has also released the Threadripper PRO 7000 WX-series in addition to Threadripper 7000. It is significantly more expensive but also offers a 96-core CPU, which should be able to provide incredible performance for workloads like CPU rendering.
              They didn't test the WX in any of those benchmarks you linked - but these benchmarks Michael tested include the 7995WX. The benchmarks you cherry picked were all the ones that actually benefitted from the additional channels mentioned above. If that's your workflow, enjoy your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                Finally a CPU which will let me game in 8K @ 60 fps
                A 7800x3d will run your games better by a wide margin than any of the Threadrippers.

Comment

The ones that should be doing the crying are adobe software architects. Adobe software is abysmally bad - bloated, inefficient and poorly scaling. It is a crime to charge money for it.

Who knows, maybe the reason intel's core sucks so much is it is optimized to get "tEH best scoreZ" in lousy software. Lousy cores optimized for lousy software LOL.

And basing your argument on such a lousy test case makes for a very lousy argument in turn. Ridiculous on your behalf, on account of the fact amd is trashing intel across the board. Making any definitive argument on the merit of a 32 core processor on the basis of one particular software test that can't even properly scale to 8 cores is outright dumb.
                  I see. i wonder if i can find a different test, with different software, where an i9 14900K beats a 64 core and a 32 core AMD processor?

Nah, I couldn't possibly find another:

The new AMD Threadripper 7000 series CPUs are here, offering significant perforamnce gains in DaVinci Resolve. But, is it enough for AMD to take the lead over Intel Xeon W?

That's professional grade software packages, that are used to create the movies you watch, where a $600 Intel processor, with 8 "real" cores and 16 "fake" cores, whose only job it is to "prop" up Intel's core count, beats AMD's 32 and 64 "real" core offerings.

Comment

My grandma drives a cheap prius better than an expensive ferrari.

Therefore prius is clearly superior vehicle to ferrari!
                    I would argue that it is.

I have driven a few Prius and i have driven a Ferrari 328 GTS.

The Ferrari is a much nicer car, it will definitely get you noticed and it's much faster.

But the better car? The Prius, hands down.

It's more comfortable, easier to drive, vastly more reliable (I have seen them with over 300k miles), they are less likely to get you carjacked, less likely to get stolen, easier to repair, less expensive to maintain, and less likely to get you pulled over for speeding.

The reality is that you will never come close to reaching the Ferrari's top speed on a public road without getting arrested.

Comment

For those wanting even more benchmarks and to see more aggregate data, I've been uploading more data today to OpenBenchmarking.org....

From https://openbenchmarking.org/vs/Proc...7970X+32-Cores you can go and add additional CPUs for compatible results, etc.

Or navigate to the individual test pages like https://openbenchmarking.org/test/pt...obench#results for seeing the CPU rankings with the new Threadripper parts appearing there for more workloads.

And of course I'll have more data and articles in the coming days.
                      Michael Larabel
                      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X