No announcement yet.

AMD Announces Ryzen 7 5800X3D Shipping On 4/20, New Mainstream CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe get 4600G? Albeit $54 more dollar, it's a steal for 6C12T with vega7.
    Yeah, that is choice we have now (or will be in April). Overkill though . Currently using a 2200G which is doing a good job, but eventually I'd like to just upgrade the processor because I can.

Even after above discussion(s), I don't see the need for Heterogeneous cores. Full cores work just fine. In a way we already have special purpose cores for GPUs that makes the system heterogeneous. Again power consumption is really no big deal. Let the consumer buy what he/she wants/needs.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post

I am pretty sure that is what is coming not in the next generation but the one after.
      Agreed, look at their roadmap.

Comment

Why isn't there a 5900X3D or a 5950X3D?

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post
          Why isn't there a 5900X3D or a 5950X3D?
          Because the tech to do the 3D cache on top of the processor die is super expensive and AMD would rather spend it on EPYC processors for servers to maximize profits.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
            AMD would rather spend it on EPYC processors for servers to maximize profits.
            Not really, to date AMD is using V-cache on exactly ONE chip for public consumption... the Milan-X. Granted that is a 64 core monster, but it seems odd that is AMD was going to spend the time to do this.... for two chips only at the moment.
            Clearly their is a plan here.

Comment

Originally posted by Duve View Post
              Not really, to date AMD is using V-cache on exactly ONE chip for public consumption... the Milan-X. Granted that is a 64 core monster, but it seems odd that is AMD was going to spend the time to do this.... for two chips only at the moment.
              Clearly their is a plan here.
              They already had to reduce clocks on the 5800X to get it to work, so that would just impact the 5900X and 5950X even more. And since gaming is what they're really targeting with these chips (non-gaming purposes are still likely going to be dominated by Alder Lake) the 5800X is really the sweet spot for that type of workload.

I don't think they have the production capacity to create tons of these chips, either, so they were never going to just provide it across the entire lineup.

For those that want the extra cache for some specific workstation apps where they think they need the 16 cores, I suspect you are more likely to get that kind of product in the Threadripper lineup, where they can charge a lot more money for the feature.

Comment

I wish there had been a few more options with a tailing G.
                I do use CPUs + dGPU and stuff, but for some boxes an APU is much more suitable. And APUs are rare these days or sold for ridiculous prices.

Kudos for the AGESA update for older chipsets/boards. Looking for the vendors to act now. That'd be really nice.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                  Interesting launching date.
                  yeah...hitlers bday? I'm sure nazi folks already have the nicknames for those edition...unfortune date indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post
                    I've got a gigabyte AB350m-ds53h and it would be fun to run my cezanne 5700g on it, I wonder if the BIOS updates will only work with the non "g" processors?

I'll keep an eye on that BIOS update page, my board supports the 4000-g processors, how different can it be?
                    My Gigabyte B550M-DS3H got a bios update one month ago with support for these CPUs. If yours is gonna get support, it probably wont' be too much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
                      There quite frankly is little to no reason to have little cores on AMD... its a well known design misstep, and Intel suffered from it with Atom where they were actually better off to implement regular cores and sprint to idle.
                      Except as you already said, more cores in less silicon. That means more cores at a lower cost. I find it really hard to believe that the P and E cores is as useless as you claim if Intel invested in it, knowing the complications it would cause.
                      I'm not saying I know best, but you sure don't know as much as you think you do.

Comment

Working...
                      X