AMD Announces Ryzen 7 5800X3D Shipping On 4/20, New Mainstream CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duve View Post
    You would be wrong, on top of gaming applications... be V-cache also seems to be focused on cloud deployments. The Milan-X is an Epyc chip after all and released first.
    I obviously know about Milan-X. Their Ryzen consumer CPU is targeting gamers, because most consumer desktop apps won't be affected that much, and the ones that need that will be encouraged to go to the Threadripper line (or Eypc, obviously) where they can charge more for it.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 20 March 2022, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Michael are we getting a review of this chip?

Comment

Originally posted by DanglingPointer View Post
        Michael are we getting a review of this chip?
        Unfortunately AMD hasn't provided any review sample.... So unless I see a 5800X3D in stock at retail price tomorrow, no.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Unfortunately AMD hasn't provided any review sample.... So unless I see a 5800X3D in stock at retail price tomorrow, no.
          It would be interesting, but I suspect the types of tasks that benefit would likely be the same ones that respond well to Milan-X.

From what I've seen on other sites, it's comparatively good at gaming, but not moreso than Alder Lake. Most other desktop apps seem hurt more by the lack of turbo than they benefit from the additional L3 cache.

The one bright spot is that it seems to be more power-efficient than the baseline 5800X, although it's hard to say whether that's due more to clockspeed restrictions or the additional L3 cache.

For my money, I think the 5700X is a lot more interesting. It's basically a discounted 5800X that's restricted to 65 W.

Comment

5800X3D was in stock for an hour at both Newegg and AMD directly for MSRP. Still available at Amazon as of 10:40AM Pacific for MSRP. Only two scalpers on eBay.

Comment

I got one on NewEgg this morning, coming tomorrow for Linux testing.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
              X