AMD Announces Ryzen 7 5800X3D Shipping On 4/20, New Mainstream CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drakonas777 View Post
    I would not (I mean specifically desktop CPUs). Unless ISA between big and little cores are identical and full featured, not that disabled AVX512 (and few others) nonsense Intel did for AL.
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    I think I'd rather them do it via software and scheduling than hardware where the E-cores are "simply" limiting one or more of the CPU's nodes frequency to only use 50% or less power (or something like that). Like drakonas777, I, too, don't want to end up varying instruction sets.
    Seeing as most software doesn't use the complete ISA, I would rather have a set of cut-down cores for a lower price. It is a little disappointing how Intel's E-cores weren't all that cheap or efficient, but considering AMD's full-size cores seem to be (from what I recall) more efficient than Intel's P cores, I think there could be a big difference if they made E-cores.

For the average desktop (and laptop) CPU, there's hardly anything that warrants more than 4c/8t of fully-spec'd CPU cores. If you want to do some major number crunching, buy a Threadripper (which I assume wouldn't do a big.LITTLE configuration, since being power-efficient and cost-effective is not the goal of such CPUs). I for one would rather spend less money and save energy on a CPU with a negligible performance difference in everyday tasks.

Comment

I've got a gigabyte AB350m-ds53h and it would be fun to run my cezanne 5700g on it, I wonder if the BIOS updates will only work with the non "g" processors?

I'll keep an eye on that BIOS update page, my board supports the 4000-g processors, how different can it be?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        bridgman

Really? Y'all couldn't lower that price by $29?

The highest performing desktop AMD processor shipping on 4/20 for $420. The AMD 420 Special.

That ad just writes itself.
        They considered it, but due to internal reasons it would have delayed the release by a month :-)

Comment

As I bought a Crosshair VI Hero for my father in good faith to get to upgrade it to Ryzen 5000 series, I cross my fingers that Asus eventually rolls out a BIOS for it once the new AGESA arrives. I must say this was way too much drama around a crucial promise which they had given at the start of the AM4 platform. Hopefully with a happy end.

Comment

What's the point of this big-little arch on the desktop? Efficiency? We already have that. You as a buyer get whatever CPU satisfies your needs. You want high performance you get a high performance part. You want efficiency and low power, you get the appropriate CPU. Just because Intel did it to keep up with AMD does not mean AMD should follow suit, which from what I have been reading they already are.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post

Seeing as most software doesn't use the complete ISA, I would rather have a set of cut-down cores for a lower price. It is a little disappointing how Intel's E-cores weren't all that cheap or efficient, but considering AMD's full-size cores seem to be (from what I recall) more efficient than Intel's P cores, I think there could be a big difference if they made E-cores.

For the average desktop (and laptop) CPU, there's hardly anything that warrants more than 4c/8t of fully-spec'd CPU cores. If you want to do some major number crunching, buy a Threadripper (which I assume wouldn't do a big.LITTLE configuration, since being power-efficient and cost-effective is not the goal of such CPUs). I for one would rather spend less money and save energy on a CPU with a negligible performance difference in everyday tasks.
              This is exactly what power gating already does... turns off sections of cores not in use and it works extemely well on AMD CPUs and is why its pointless.

The only thing big.Little buys you is more cores in less silicon... granted these aren't "full" cores.

There quite frankly is little to no reason to have little cores on AMD... its a well known design misstep, and Intel suffered from it with Atom where they were actually better off to implement regular cores and sprint to idle.
              Last edited by cb88; 15 March 2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Interesting launching date.

Comment

Originally posted by rclark View Post
                  I was hoping for low end 4 core zen 3 processors with the graphics built in for file server builds where a stand-a-lone graphics card isn't necessary but still needed for bios updating and such. Like the 2400G .... at a $100 max price point.

I see no problem with desktops/workstations with all big cores. Power isn't an issue in that arena.
                  Maybe get 4600G? Albeit $54 more dollar, it's a steal for 6C12T with vega7.
                  Last edited by t.s.; 15 March 2022, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Too bad they abandoned trx40.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                      I think I'd rather see AMD adopt a big.LITTLE architecture.
                      I am pretty sure that is what is coming not in the next generation but the one after.

Comment

Working...
                      X