AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper PRO For Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by numacross View Post
    The USB controllers are also higher speed, but that might be from the chipset instead of the CPU, the details are unknown.
    Comes from chipset, the CPU can't waste pins with that when it has to provide 128 PCie lanes and 8 memory channels.
    Also on older Threadripper too the USB 3.1 gen2 controllers are in the chipset.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Really hard to choose these days for non Chinese and non-US citizens... Do you prefer Guojia Anquan Bu or rather National Security Agency?
      Ok, I wonder what kind of propaganda you've been fed (well, you probably come from a deeply anti-american country if I am to make a guess) if you're comparing the NSA with the security apparatus of a totalitarian and highly competent country, like China. We're talking about a country that tightly controls its internet and already installs spyware on every single sold PC and phone in the country (+ visitors' phones, more recently). In addition to that, it uses face recognition to effectively track petty criminals across the country.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Ok, I wonder what kind of propaganda you've been fed (well, you probably come from a deeply anti-american country if I am to make a guess) if you're comparing the NSA with the security apparatus of a totalitarian and highly competent country, like China. We're talking about a country that tightly controls its internet and already installs spyware on every single sold PC and phone in the country (+ visitors' phones, more recently). In addition to that, it uses face recognition to effectively track petty criminals across the country.
        But that doesn't change the fact that US has programs to spy on computers too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          Indeed, as Europeans, the "made in US" preferably to China argument is moot. Especially in terms of security and spying tech.
          It's like seeing the mote in someone's eye, but failing to acknowledge the beam in your own eye.
          99% of computing done at home doesn't have any data worth pinching anyway. Unless you think your rips of over a 1000 DVD's constitutes value.

As for the "made in US" mantra, some companies still require their hardware be assembled in the US. With the supply on demand in global logistics, its very difficult for anyone to inject a foreign device at a fab in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by zyxxel View Post

But that doesn't change the fact that US has programs to spy on computers too.
            That the US is doing cyberespionage and cyberattacks as well is not on the same level as installing spyware on every device sold, not to mention attempting to install hardware spyware as well.

Main difference is that the much maligned big corporations in the US need to maintain their reputation nationally and internationally, and as such their interests are not aligned with the government. They sometimes can have even more power than the government. In China, big corporations are in bed with the totalitarian government (people who step out of line at that level tend to be cancelled, China style).

Good job, comrades, in helping usher the brave new world ...

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with totalitarianism and authoritarianism when they are wielded by a competent ruler. Look at how quickly autocratic countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and yes, even China, were able to develop and grow extremely strong in only a few decades. Singapore in particular is an example of an authoritarian country done right where its wealth, prestige and reputation on the global scale is completely out of sync with its size.

Much of APAC does not believe in the kind of liberty and chaotic freedom that the West preaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Singapore in particular is an example of an authoritarian country done right where its wealth, prestige and reputation on the global scale is completely out of sync with its size.
                Sure, if you like facist hellholes.

But yeah, you seem like the kind of person that does.

Comment

That the US is doing cyberespionage and cyberattacks as well is not on the same level as installing spyware on every device sold, not to mention attempting to install hardware spyware as well.

Main difference is that the much maligned big corporations in the US need to maintain their reputation nationally and internationally, and as such their interests are not aligned with the government. They sometimes can have even more power than the government. In China, big corporations are in bed with the totalitarian government (people who step out of line at that level tend to be cancelled, China style).

Good job, comrades, in helping usher the brave new world ...
                  So how does that mesh with American companies like Cisco already having been caught multiple times installing backdoors in their high-end equipment?

You have credible accusations against one side, and proofs against the other. The US is not any better, at all. They just happens to be allies.
                  Last edited by carewolf; 15 July 2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

So how does that mesh with American companies like Cisco already having been caught multiple times installing backdoors in their high-end equipment?

You have credible accusations against one side, and proofs against the other. The US is not any better, at all. They just happens to be allies.
                    Security practices of router makers is absolutely appalling, and that seems to be nearly universal.

While we're at it, I have to say, this one really takes the crown:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...re-move-along/

Does that really demonstrate malfeasance/bad intent? Maybe it does in Cisco's case, I can't say for sure, and it's hard to say without an investigation into the company.

A legal/regulatory system that encourages minimum passable work in terms of security (there's no effective penalty for bad security practices) is also a huge problem. I wouldn't be too surprised if a culture of "anything goes, if it gets done quickly and our big business customers are happy" is also at fault.

Now a backdoor is not a spyware, though it can obviously be used to install said spyware (I'm sure you're well aware of that ...).

But phones and PCs sold in China come with spyware preinstalled (this is not news, it's from 2009) https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/w...0spy.%E2%80%9D

More recently, China's been installing such software on tourists' phones as well: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/2/20...hones-xinjiang

Comment

Security practices of router makers is absolutely appalling, and that seems to be nearly universal.

While we're at it, I have to say, this one really takes the crown:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...re-move-along/

Does that really demonstrate malfeasance/bad intent? Maybe it does in Cisco's case, I can't say for sure, and it's hard to say without an investigation into the company.

A legal/regulatory system that encourages minimum passable work in terms of security (there's no effective penalty for bad security practices) is also a huge problem. I wouldn't be too surprised if a culture of "anything goes, if it gets done quickly and our big business customers are happy" is also at fault.

Now a backdoor is not a spyware, though it can obviously be used to install said spyware (I'm sure you're well aware of that ...).

But phones and PCs sold in China come with spyware preinstalled (this is not news, it's from 2009) https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/09/w...0spy.%E2%80%9D

More recently, China's been installing such software on tourists' phones as well: https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/2/20...hones-xinjiang
                      I really wonder why does everyone complain about Chinese or Russian spyware but not American ones.

Comment

Working...
                      X