AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper PRO For Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brouhaha View Post
    I really hope they do become available at retail before too long. I was planning to assemble a workstation using a Xeon W, but I'd much prefer a Thredripper Pro. However, I'm not going to buy a packaged OEM system.

My requirements are ECC RDIMM and LRDIMM support, for a large amount of memory, and high performance out of individual cores, for workloads that can only take advantage of a relatively small number of cores. Until now, the Xeon W was the only processor family that met both requirements.
    If you lived in US, here you are: https://www.newegg.com/amd-epyc-7h12...82E16819113634

Oh I missed the frequency requirement. Well I hope it won't take too long before we can buy Epyc 7F52 on newegg.
    Last edited by zxy_thf; 14 July 2020, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Lenovo with their new ThinkStation P620
      Too bad that Lenovo is tainted by the Chinese Communist Party and therefore by the risk of injected spying tech
      I would rather prefer to have an option to buy a motherboard originating from anti-communist Taiwan (e.g. Asus).

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind View Post
        Too bad that Lenovo is tainted by the Chinese Communist Party and therefore by the risk of injected spying tech
        I would rather prefer to have an option to buy a motherboard originating from anti-communist Taiwan (e.g. Asus).
        Really hard to choose these days for non Chinese and non-US citizens... Do you prefer Guojia Anquan Bu or rather National Security Agency?

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          What's your source for the "won't be available at retail" claim?
          None of AMD's "Pro" branded processors are available in retail. They are available only to OEM's selling complete systems. It has always been this way.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
            Doesn't SP3 support exactly that already?
            SP3 is the physical socket and is the same for all Threadrippers and Epyc.
            The differences are in how it is connected electrically for Threadripper vs Epyc, or at least it was for the consumer Threadrippers.

For example Threadrippers have a couple USB 3.0 controllers (for 8 ports total) and Sata controllers (at least 4 ports, probably more) in the main "CPU" thing, while Epyc does not.
            (And this is interesting because the stuff that comes from the CPU is correctly split in IOMMU groups so if you are after a KVM with passthrough you really want a Threadripper because it allows you to not use the ACS override flag)

So that's probably a way they can free up pins to use for additional RAM and PCIe lanes, as I doubt they just left half the socket's pins as "reserved" for something like this.
            Last edited by starshipeleven; 15 July 2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
              What's your source for the "won't be available at retail" claim?
              AMD themselves
              They also said they didn't work with consumer board manufacturers (the usual suspects, Asrock, Asus, Gigabyte and so on) for the TRx80 platform so you would not get boards for it.

But it's no big loss. This is basically a rebadged Epyc, so if you need the features just get an Epyc + Epyc motherboard from Asrock Rack/Gigabyte/Supermicro/whatever

Comment

Originally posted by mastermind View Post
                It's a matter of time, when they are done with HK they will deal with TW too.

Comment

Originally posted by brouhaha View Post
                  I really hope they do become available at retail before too long. I was planning to assemble a workstation using a Xeon W, but I'd much prefer a Thredripper Pro. However, I'm not going to buy a packaged OEM system.

My requirements are ECC RDIMM and LRDIMM support, for a large amount of memory, and high performance out of individual cores, for workloads that can only take advantage of a relatively small number of cores. Until now, the Xeon W was the only processor family that met both requirements.
                  Get an Epyc and a Epyc motherboard from Asrock Rack or Gigabyte. This processor is just a rebranded Epyc.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    This processor is just a rebranded Epyc.
                    Hardly... TR Pro have way higher boost frequencies (3.4 vs. 4.2 for 64c) and built-in remote management (supposedly similar to Intel vPro/AMT). On EPYC boards that's handled by the BMC but requires a separate Ethernet port for management. The USB controllers are also higher speed, but that might be from the chipset instead of the CPU, the details are unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Really hard to choose these days for non Chinese and non-US citizens... Do you prefer Guojia Anquan Bu or rather National Security Agency?
                      Indeed, as Europeans, the "made in US" preferably to China argument is moot. Especially in terms of security and spying tech.
                      It's like seeing the mote in someone's eye, but failing to acknowledge the beam in your own eye.

Comment

Working...
                      X