AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper PRO For Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with totalitarianism and authoritarianism when they are wielded by a competent ruler. Look at how quickly autocratic countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and yes, even China, were able to develop and grow extremely strong in only a few decades. Singapore in particular is an example of an authoritarian country done right where its wealth, prestige and reputation on the global scale is completely out of sync with its size.

Much of APAC does not believe in the kind of liberty and chaotic freedom that the West preaches.
    I have no idea what you are smoking but you need to stop because it's frying your brains.

Go look at where the Asian countries you mentioned were prior to Nixon normalizing relations with China and allowing/encouraging American companies to do business with China, and friends.

Make no mistake, the U.S. was built on cheap labor, first with slavery, then with indentured servants, then with low skilled / low wage workers, then with minimum wage workers and finally after unions and all the employee protection laws went into effect we exported our slavery/indentured servants/peons to China, Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong and the rest. In the process we also exported all our technology and intellectual properties to countries that have vastly different standards than us and had no problem blatantly and overtly and covertly stealing the technology we used to build factories and manufacture goods over their.

We needed cheap labor, and by we I mean the U.S. and most European countries, because workers in these countries demand/command decent salaries and the Chinese and other Asian countries needed technology and trade to build up their countries are being ravaged with a number of significant wars during the 20th century.

The also have no problem with slavery / forced labor, liberals like to talk about the slavery of Black people from Africa by White Europeans but they conveniently ignore the duplicity of the Black African kings and tribal chiefs that sold their country men into slavery and the also conveniently ignore the slavery that goes on today in China, where if you want something built really cheap, the Chinese government is more than happy to wake up 100 thousand people at 2 AM to work for literally less than a dollar an hour and allow you to build a million units in a month, while of course stealing your IP and if you have the balls to complain about them stealing your technology they will just steal/confiscate your plant, accuse your executives in that country of either espionage or corruption and threaten to jail them for 10 years unless you abandon the plant within 48 hours.

The Chinese are no one's friends and we shouldn't be doing any business with them, if we, the U.S. really want cheap labor that badly, we should start looking at partnerships with certain South American countries, where we may be able to have more favorable outcomes and where such investments would probably go a long way towards stemming the illegal immigration problem that half this country doesn't seem to care exists.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I really wonder why does everyone complain about Chinese or Russian spyware but not American ones.
      You haven't been paying attention have you? People in the U.S. have been complaining about the NSA, TSA and for decades. Hell, mention Windows 10 in many forums and see the replies you get.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

I really wonder why does everyone complain about Chinese or Russian spyware but not American ones.
        The US doesn't install spyware on computers as a matter of law/governmental policy. Furthermore, hardware manufacturers (microprocessors, etc) have a reputation to uphold, and they're also not under the thumb of the US government.

Router software is almost universally shitty, but it can technically be patched.

This is my view of course. I don't know what everyone else is thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          Wall of text
          No, you need to stop believing that all of asia Asia owes its success to American supremacy.

Asia and in particular the countries I mentioned were already experiencing significant economic growth in the 60s and charting their own courses and roles in the global economy well before Nixon took office and formalized relations with mainland China in 1972. Japan was the economic powerhouse of Asia then and the inspiration for the rest of Asia to catch up in their own ways. Not China.

In fact, China never even came close to the level of economic growth, development and industrialization of the four Asian Tigers (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea) and five Asian Tiger Cubs (Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand) until the late 90s.

If you want to talk about technology exports during the Nixon period, only South Korea, Taiwan and Japan were the beneficiaries of American technology transfers and became technological giants, not China. Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand pursued completely different paths to secure their place in the global economy; Singapore focused on education and financial services, Malaysia did largely the same as Singapore but with agriculture as another core driver, and Indonesia and Thailand in those days were huge on agriculture and low-cost labour.

TLDR: The economic success of the authoritarian Asian countries I mentioned had nothing to do with China when they first carved out their spots in the global economy.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 15 July 2020, 09:18 PM.

Comment

There is absolutely nothing wrong with totalitarianism and authoritarianism when they are wielded by a competent ruler. Look at how quickly autocratic countries like Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and yes, even China, were able to develop and grow extremely strong in only a few decades. Singapore in particular is an example of an authoritarian country done right where its wealth, prestige and reputation on the global scale is completely out of sync with its size.

Much of APAC does not believe in the kind of liberty and chaotic freedom that the West preaches.
            As a german I disagree.....what could possibly go wrong? Open a history book.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

Ok, I wonder what kind of propaganda you've been fed (well, you probably come from a deeply anti-american country if I am to make a guess) if you're comparing the NSA with the security apparatus of a totalitarian and highly competent country, like China. We're talking about a country that tightly controls its internet and already installs spyware on every single sold PC and phone in the country (+ visitors' phones, more recently). In addition to that, it uses face recognition to effectively track petty criminals across the country.
              It would seem you overreacted a little.

I'm from the deeply anti American country called Germany, by the way.

I'm not saying the one or the other secret service is better than the other. I'm saying that they are supposed to spy and that is what they do. And the US ones are even spying on their allies, as published by Snowden.

So obviously all the bad things you listed about the Chinese secret service doesn't affect me. I'm not traveling there and I'm not one of their citizens. Same goes for USA.

All I'm saying is that if I've to live with backdoors in my devices, I want European backdoors

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

As a german I disagree.....what could possibly go wrong? Open a history book.
                Yes, the list of where it went wrong is way longer than the positive list. One might argue that in the cases it went wrong the leader wasn't competent. But then what force in the universe ensures that only the most competent claim power? Or even the most benevolent? Recent history shows : it is rather the loudest.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Yes, the list of where it went wrong is way longer than the positive list. One might argue that in the cases it went wrong the leader wasn't competent. But then what force in the universe ensures that only the most competent claim power? Or even the most benevolent? Recent history shows : it is rather the loudest.
                  The Problem is that people having the stamina and the skillset to become such kind of leaders usually are highly scoring on narcism, psychopathy or sociopathy. And that is the classic malevolent triad. Exactly the persons who shouldn't be in this position. Comparable to: Do you want a pedophile taking care of your kids?
                  That is the very reason why democratic systems divide the power so that in the most cases no one can take over. This might make it less efficient but it protects the population or the world of their reckless behaviour.
                  Last edited by CochainComplex; 16 July 2020, 04:39 AM.

Comment

No, you need to stop believing that all of asia Asia owes its success to American supremacy.

Asia and in particular the countries I mentioned were already experiencing significant economic growth in the 60s and charting their own courses and roles in the global economy well before Nixon took office and formalized relations with mainland China in 1972. Japan was the economic powerhouse of Asia then and the inspiration for the rest of Asia to catch up in their own ways. Not China.

In fact, China never even came close to the level of economic growth, development and industrialization of the four Asian Tigers (Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea) and five Asian Tiger Cubs (Indonesia, Philippines, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand) until the late 90s.

If you want to talk about technology exports during the Nixon period, only South Korea, Taiwan and Japan were the beneficiaries of American technology transfers and became technological giants, not China. Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand pursued completely different paths to secure their place in the global economy; Singapore focused on education and financial services, Malaysia did largely the same as Singapore but with agriculture as another core driver, and Indonesia and Thailand in those days were huge on agriculture and low-cost labour.

TLDR: The economic success of the authoritarian Asian countries I mentioned had nothing to do with China when they first carved out their spots in the global economy.
                    Can you explain me how the german "Wirtschaftswunder" is fitting into your equation. It has happend after WWII and with setting up a democratic system (again after Weimarer Republik - ended up in electing H.).

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post
                      Doesn't SP3 support exactly that already?
                      threadripper would be downgrade for epyc

Comment

Working...
                      X