Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA Linux Performance-Per-Dollar: What The RX 480 Will Have To Compete Against

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid State Brain
    replied
    Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
    If they manage to achieve 980ti performance for 200-250$ they would seriously undermine nvidia, at least until the price of gtx 1070 gets dropped to more reasonable levels.
    Expect about Radeon R9 390X performance as a base level, with a possible 10% overclock on top of that.

Leave a comment:

• rubdos
    replied
    Originally posted by KellyClowers View Post
    Unless Nvidia starts significant contributions to nouveau, AMD only has to compete against Intel.
    That wont be true for everyone in here, but I tend to agree. And following my earlier analysis, it seems that AMD is putting more effort in their Linux driver than Intel is putting in theirs, if you compare both drivers to their Windows counterparts.

Leave a comment:

• Anarchy
    replied
    If they manage to achieve 980ti performance for 200-250$ they would seriously undermine nvidia, at least until the price of gtx 1070 gets dropped to more reasonable levels.

Leave a comment:

• theriddick
    replied
    Coder everything you say is mostly US political fault. Why would China want direct back doors to all their infrastructure if they were to use ANYTHING sold from USA? Luckily I live in Australia, so I have no love for the USA either... (in saying that I still have a intel based system that will no doubt be breached in the future once the whole world figures out how your gov did it all... matter of time...)

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by computerquip View Post
    I'm unsure of why it matters when AMD is an international company...?
    Is there some conflict with Shanghai that I'm not aware of?
    Three things, really. But I'll preface them by saying that I wouldn't have even mentioned it, if it had been somewhere like Norway, Canada, Japan, Ghana, or Uruguay. Also, I want to say that I have nothing against Chinese people or the engineers among them.

First, supporting American engineering jobs is a matter of self-interest.

Second, China is moving up the value chain. How long will it be, before they dominate the computing industry? This is not only an economic concern, but also a political one, given their increasingly aggressive posture.

Third, they announced a formal plan to standardize around a state-sanctioned CPU architecture. Now, why do you think they'd want to do that? Well, I don't think it's going too far to suggest that it lets them do things like control which OS you run, since their CPU can require that your software has been signed by the State. This enables them to enforce requirements that operating systems have backdoors in them, and can potentially prevent you from running certain apps or visiting certain sites. Yes, a country whose internet censorship agency has its own anthem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbBKPqOh6DU) would definitely go this far. Now, do you think their CPUs will stay in China? Of course not.

And, aside from this, AMD recently sold its crown jewels to China. http://www.extremetech.com/computing...chinese-market I was actually expecting them to get bought by the likes of Lenovo or Huawei, but that would've been way more expensive and probably would've gotten nixed by Congress.

Not that I blame them, exactly. To paraphrase Marx: a capitalist will sell you the rope to hang him with. Especially if he has shareholders.

Sorry for the manifesto. I'm somewhat allergic to conspiracy theories, and I'm usually one who downvotes crazy paranoid types and their political rants, particularly on tech sites. But you asked, so there you have it. And yes, I did start it, but I'm not sorry about that, since it gave bridgman to chime in with a few facts.
    Last edited by coder; 26 June 2016, 01:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hahahafr
    replied
    Looking forward the result of Polaris next week

Leave a comment:

• oooverclocker
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Not sure about Polaris (I wasn't really involved with it), but that's definitely not the case for Vega. I don't think it's true for Polaris either.
    Sounds like Vega was a whole new architecture instead of a 350mm² RX 480 with HBM...Though it looks quite easy to get on top of the 1080 with small HBM2 connectors in theory...
    I'm pretty sure that the RX 470 4GiB would win this Perf/Cost efficiency race easily even with current drivers... A 310mm² die for 700$(GTX1080) is more than cheeky in my opinion even in the crippled 1070 version for 450$.
    I think it's pretty obvious that Nvidia pushed Pascal to an unprepared release without being able to serve. The purpose of the immense price tags is to lower the demand for few weeks(Founders Edition) until enough units can be produced.
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Crossfire on Linux? Will that ever work?
    No need with Vulkan. Vulkan and Heterogenous computing will solve all our problems, trust me The most important thing we need pretty quickly is Sea/Southern Islands support and 144Hz/FreeSync support in my opinion.
    The HCCompiler and other OpenGPU Tools should be in the Ubuntu repos to encourage indie devs etc.

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied

I suspect that's the major attraction of Twitter - 140 char isn't enough to say anything unambiguously

The team pic looks about the right size for "the people in Shanghai who worked on Polaris", but way too small for "all the people who worked on Polaris".
    I'm unsure of why it matters when AMD is an international company...?
    Is there some conflict with Shanghai that I'm not aware of?

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    I suspect that's the major attraction of Twitter - 140 char isn't enough to say anything unambiguously
    But it seems enough for journalists to add to it There are couple articles around, but all ends up being based on that Raja's twitt

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    I guess people based that claim on what Raja twitted couple days ago

The team pic looks about the right size for "the people in Shanghai who worked on Polaris", but way too small for "all the people who worked on Polaris".

Leave a comment:

Working...
X