Radeon RX 480 Linux Testing Is Happening Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Creak View Post
    As soon as the open source driver is available on Fedora, I'll run to buy this card. I don't care even if the Gflops/price ratio isn't better then for a 1080, just for the fact that AMD is releasing a good card, with an open source driver and at a low price, these are three perfectly good reasons why I'll buy this card!
    Eh?
    The 480 is NOT meant to compete against a 1080 or 1070. 1080 is high end, 480 is mid range.
    AMD's high end is called Vega, and that will ship before the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
      Michael bridgman anything about ROC and/or HSA?
      We have ROC running on a Polaris 10 internally (as of a couple of days ago) but not sure yet which public release will pick up the support.

Originally posted by vortex View Post
      Eh? The 480 is NOT meant to compete against a 1080 or 1070. 1080 is high end, 480 is mid range.
      AMD's high end is called Vega, and that will ship before the end of the year.
      In fairness, Creak was talking about Gflops/price ratio not absolute performance.
      Test signature

Comment

That's very clever posting about sones, you get a gold star. To convert from a microphone sample, need to take a Fourier transform, then integrate some function of each frequency. We can store this function as a high resolution texture, then the Rx480 could do the multiplication.

​​​​​​​Anyway, I'd like to see DooM results, but I know DooM gets 0fps even in Wine

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium

dude many words but you have no clue... any mic will give you decibel what is wrong in what we want here.
          what we really want is this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone
          and you can not measure "Sone" with a mic.

A Sone measurement device is very complex. If Michael@phoronix go for mic and decibel all results will be useless for "Humans" decibel results are only useful for Robots.
          A mic will give you response, but without calibration you've got no real way of knowing if that response is a 1:1 map to decibels or not - and it probably isn't, because a mic is an analogue instrument. For pretty much any analogue measurement calibration is a must if you want to get accurate results.

As to Sone: I'm not one of the people who think Sone is particularly useful because it tries to standardise human hearing response, which has a pretty huge variation. Decibels may not be perfect, but a) they're the standard that is currently in use, b) they are accurate when comparing the same types of sound, which is the case here as graphics cards tend to use pretty physically similar fans and c) they're an SI unit and not a subjective measure based on a notional average of human hearing. I'd say that proper accuracy in this kind of experiment would only be achieved only by giving a Decibel reading + a recording of the sound in question, so anyone interested in how loud the sound is perceived to be can recreate the sound at the required volume on their own machine.

Comment

sure it is the lowest and wrong standard in use to fool consumers. Hardware companies in general build "Decibel" optimisation designs useless for any human because human ear is "Sone" and not Decibel.
            If you start to measure the correct "Sone" the companies would start building "Sone" optimised designs. and everyone would get a benefit. for example a fan can run at multible RPM speed and if you know witch RPM result in high Sone you can only use RPM numbers which are less noisy.

If you are a professional you use Sone

If you are a idiot with no clue at all you use Decibel.
            And probably an echoless chamber ...

Comment

for 1200€ there is a complete set to measure sound in Sone here : http://wwwi.akulap.de/joomla/index.p...duct/view/5/39 it is in USB version michael could write a sonftware for it
              British pound plunged 10 percent today, oil go down, gold, etc... only God knows how much those euros will worth now/today/tomorow

Comment

Actually gold went up

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  We have ROC running on a Polaris 10 internally (as of a couple of days ago) but not sure yet which public release will pick up the support.
                  Is this due to the efforts of letting OpenCL run over ROC or is P10 really meant for hpc, too?
                  I thought it'd be a "gaming-chip". Does it provide MxGPU and FP64?

OK, guess you can't tell us yet...

Comment

Originally posted by elect View Post
                    Actually gold went up
                    also bitcoins.

Comment

This is what would be absolutely nice to have on Linux, too. Not the UI but the possibilities. The overdrive value is now exposed in the sysfs. Such exposed clocks and voltages for each dpm state would be a dream...

Comment

Working...
                      X