No announcement yet.

Radeon RX 480 Linux Testing Is Happening Right Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is the first time AMD will have launch day support for Linux? Something that Nvidia and Intel manage to do regularly? Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by clockley1 View Post
      So this is the first time AMD will have launch day support for Linux? Something that Nvidia and Intel manage to do regularly? Congrats!
      For open-source, yes. In the past it was only launch day via binary drivers.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LeJimster View Post
        I was hoping for a card closer to the 1080 in performance.
        AMD uses the number 9 for the high-end cards ever since the 6k series. 490 should be close to the 1070, 490X should be close to the 1080 as long as the usual naming is kept. The 480 is more like a 1050Ti/1060Ti, whatever they'll call them.

Comment

Michael, I'll send you $40 if you can benchmark X Plane 10 with the RX 480 vs the GTX 1070 using at least these two sets of options (for 1080p and 1440p):

--fps_test=3 --pref:_is_full_ALL=1 --pref:_x_res_full_ALL=1920 --pref:_y_res_full_ALL=1080 --pref:_bpp_full_ALL=32
          --fps_test=3 --pref:_is_full_ALL=1 --pref:_x_res_full_ALL=2560 --pref:_y_res_full_ALL=1440 --pref:_bpp_full_ALL=32

Ideally with an i5-6400/6500/6600, but any Intel CPU, just please say what it is. I would also need to know the memory speed used.

Obviously you're under NDA, so the results will have to wait, but these benchmarks are worth a lot to me. It's pretty much guaranteed the GTX 1070 will perform well, but the RX 480 is a big unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Will be used for subsequent testing for years to come.
            That's awesome to hear!

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

AMD uses the number 9 for the high-end cards ever since the 6k series. 490 should be close to the 1070, 490X should be close to the 1080 as long as the usual naming is kept. The 480 is more like a 1050Ti/1060Ti, whatever they'll call them.
              The naming has changed. There won't be an X suffix anymore. RX 480 is the top Polaris card. There might be an RX 490, but it would in that case be a Vega card.

Comment

Micheal I take it your going to start testing with the PRO driver for the moment? does that driver work I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
                  Michael, I'll send you $40 if you can benchmark X Plane 10 with the RX 480 vs the GTX 1070 using at least these two sets of options (for 1080p and 1440p):

--fps_test=3 --pref:_is_full_ALL=1 --pref:_x_res_full_ALL=1920 --pref:_y_res_full_ALL=1080 --pref:_bpp_full_ALL=32
                  --fps_test=3 --pref:_is_full_ALL=1 --pref:_x_res_full_ALL=2560 --pref:_y_res_full_ALL=1440 --pref:_bpp_full_ALL=32

Ideally with an i5-6400/6500/6600, but any Intel CPU, just please say what it is. I would also need to know the memory speed used.

Obviously you're under NDA, so the results will have to wait, but these benchmarks are worth a lot to me. It's pretty much guaranteed the GTX 1070 will perform well, but the RX 480 is a big unknown.
                  Do those commands work for an automated benchmark? Before Laminar Research spun me my own demo for benchmarking, but they haven't done so since like XPlane9.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                    Still waiting for an "ITX"-formfactor edition of the 480
                    Depends on the ITX and it depends on the form. I've a full-length EVGA GTX 960 in a Shuttle ITX, no problem. But EVGA adheres to spec. MSI otoh, had heat pipes overhanging outside specified dimensions, their GTX 960 would not fit. I'm happy with the EVGA.

Comment

As soon as the open source driver is available on Fedora, I'll run to buy this card. I don't care even if the Gflops/price ratio isn't better then for a 1080, just for the fact that AMD is releasing a good card, with an open source driver and at a low price, these are three perfectly good reasons why I'll buy this card!

Comment

Working...
                      X