No announcement yet.

Early Radeon Vulkan Windows vs. AMDGPU PRO Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think one of the big things to take away is that when comparing the OpenGL and Vulkan results on the Fury you see almost a 30 FPS increase and a 3 frame difference between Windows and Linux under Vulkan. I would take that as a big win for the AMD side of things.

Obviously, the OpenGL performance could be better, but the new driver is in its infancy and I'm sure will improve over time.

Between the new driver, Vulkan performance and the unclear path forward with running Wayland on NVIDIA (it might amount to nothing, but at the very least its going to take time to sort out), my next video card may very well come from AMD and that is a very intriguing and exciting prospect right now.

Comment

Still not seeing a lot of interest in Vulkan from AAA game devs. Everything is DX12 talk. Yeah, yeah I know all about the "engines". But most AAA games do their own thing, and that's what drives the gaming industry, for better or for worse.

Comment

Very encouraging beginning for Vulkan+AMD+Linux!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Still not seeing a lot of interest in Vulkan from AAA game devs. Everything is DX12 talk. Yeah, yeah I know all about the "engines". But most AAA games do their own thing, and that's what drives the gaming industry, for better or for worse.
          Isn't a bit early?

Comment

Micheal, I really like this series of benchmarks. Regardless if we like it windows is the "gold standard".

I think phoronix would be better served cattering to benchmarking in general regardless of OS. Right now your readership is limited to linux users (1%)
            Try and reel in the windows users too!
            Keep a linux twist.

I also like that you have limitted your AMD/nvidia benchmarks to three cards each: high end; mid range; low end.
            Too many cards is too much work!

keep up the good work.
            Last edited by bluewormx; 09 April 2016, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Can you quote anyone specific with not being tied with Microsoft PR built around Build 2016?

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol
                I don't understand it.
                I believe the technical term is "click bait".

Comment

Originally posted by Pecisk View Post
                  Can you quote anyone specific with not being tied with Microsoft PR built around Build 2016?
                  We got a chance to sit and talk VR with Daryl Sartain, AMD's Director of Virtual Reality and ITA VR Council Chair at CES.

But I do believe that, and what I most am concerned about is our ISVs, the ISV community, where they gain the greatest benefit. You know, there are some people developing on Linux, all different flavors of life – so it’s a difficult question as to which [API] should we be focused on, which one is better. My opinion is that Windows as a platform, as an OS, is far better and far more evolved today than some of the previous generations, and that’s to be expected. DX12 and its integration into Windows is a great experience, is a great development environment, and has great compatibility. Does that mean that Vulkan doesn’t have a place? No. I think that answer really has to come from the development community, not from us.
                  Back to topic: Some results for lower end GPUs would have been nice to have.

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  The Talos Principle developer thinks it's a bad idea to benchmark highly GPU bound scenarios (4K) at this point.

Vulkan (and OpenGL, for that matter) are much slower at higher resolutions and visual qualities than DXs.
                  But... it isn't. Vulkan on windows was the winner for 2 gpus and the fury was only 1 fps behind. So what are we to make of that?

Comment

Originally posted by haagch View Post

We got a chance to sit and talk VR with Daryl Sartain, AMD's Director of Virtual Reality and ITA VR Council Chair at CES.
                    I asked not PR pieces. AMD is blasting "DirectX12" from rooftops for a year, all over the internet, in all ads - together with Microsoft. Of course they will say that.

Comment

Of course it's PR, but it's AMD's official PR.

Here is more PR: http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd...tnerships.html
                      "DirectX 12 is a game-changing low overhead API for both developers and gamers," said Bryan Langley, Principal Program Manager, Microsoft. "AMD is a key partner for Microsoft in driving adoption of DirectX 12 throughout the industry,
                      Why does AMD let them do that if they don't agree?

Comment

Working...
                      X