• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
    Mantle was existing too.
    Mantle died when DX12 was announced. Many of the games that were porting to Mantle just flipped that code over to DX12, so there was no big loss there.

Leave a comment:

• drSeehas
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    A year ago DX12 was the only one existing, so they didn't have much choice. ...
    Mantle was existing too.

Leave a comment:

• Herem
    replied
    Originally posted by devius View Post
    I mean, imagine there were 20 games released on Windows, 12 on Mac and 8 on Linux, that's 20 == 20 (12 + 8).
    If the 8 games on Linux were all also all released for Mac there would still have only been 12 different games released on the combined platforms. Therefore Windows would have had almost twice as many unique games released.

Not only does Windows have more unique games released for the platform but the total sales (which is really the most important figure) of each game is also generally much higher on Windows.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by Herem View Post
    In your original mail you said 'there were about as many games released for Mac + Linux combined as Windows', as these games are predominantly cross platform you can't simply add together the releases of both platforms and say that combined they have the same number of games as Windows.
    Hmm.... ok then, so by that logic Windows + Mac combined don't actually have about 90% of all the PC game releases compared to Linux, but only 60% since most Mac games are also present in Windows. Wow!! 40% of all game releases on the PC platforms were on Linux!!! Amazing!...That's a pretty weird logic, saying that some releases don't count because those same games were also released on another platform. Seems like distorting reality and the kind of made-up math used by marketing companies to me.

What that graph shows is the number of game releases per platform. In my original comment I only said that the number of game releases on the Mac and Linux platforms are about the same as the number of game releases on Windows. How can you say that is not true when it is? I mean, imagine there were 20 games released on Windows, 12 on Mac and 8 on Linux, that's 20 == 20 (12 + 8).

Leave a comment:

• sarmad
    replied
    These results are better than I expected to see. Well done AMD for starting to get back on track.

Leave a comment:

• humbug
    replied
    Sure, but there is some strong correlation, because no publisher would release games for a dead platform where there are no sales.
    I'm sure there is a correlation.
    But also the reason Linux gets so many games is because amongst the dev community there is a lot of goodwill towards linux from the individuals involved. In a lot of these companies there are enough individuals who want to support Linux (personally) and think it's the right thing to do and hope that the platform will get uplifted in the future etc.. That idealism is a big reason why we now get much more games than our 1% market share should justify. Of course that doesn't fly in every company (especially huge publishers) but in some devs that line of thinking plays a subliminal role.

Leave a comment:

• Herem
    replied
    That's not true at all. First you're reading the graph incorrectly. It doesn't list only exclusive releases by platform, but releases period. It doesn't matter if the game was first released on another platform or not, otherwise you could use that same argument for all cross-platform games: "nowadays Windows doesn't get any new games since they are all console releases first", and "Mac games are double counted since they are the same ones released on Windows" and the original Tomb Raider would be a Saturn game with the PS1 and PC releases "double counted".

Then there's the fact that there have been Mac games since the early 80's, even before Linux was invented, and even after that there are a lot of Mac exclusives. Also, the ones that aren't exclusives are usually released on Windows and the consoles of the time as well, so there are a lot of what you call "double counting" in all platforms. Not sure why you decided to treat Linux differently.
    I think I was reading the graph correctly, as that was exactly my point.

In your original mail you said 'there were about as many games released for Mac + Linux combined as Windows', as these games are predominantly cross platform you can't simply add together the releases of both platforms and say that combined they have the same number of games as Windows.

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    The number of released games on a platform is not really an indication of how popular that platform is worth users.
    Sure, but there is some strong correlation, because no publisher would release games for a dead platform where there are no sales. Can you see where the Ouya stands on that graph?

Also most of the games released on Linux are the same ones released on Mac so you're double counting the majority of the releases.
    That's not true at all. First you're reading the graph incorrectly. It doesn't list only exclusive releases by platform, but releases period. It doesn't matter if the game was first released on another platform or not, otherwise you could use that same argument for all cross-platform games: "nowadays Windows doesn't get any new games since they are all console releases first", and "Mac games are double counted since they are the same ones released on Windows" and the original Tomb Raider would be a Saturn game with the PS1 and PC releases "double counted".

Then there's the fact that there have been Mac games since the early 80's, even before Linux was invented, and even after that there are a lot of Mac exclusives. Also, the ones that aren't exclusives are usually released on Windows and the consoles of the time as well, so there are a lot of what you call "double counting" in all platforms. Not sure why you decided to treat Linux differently.

Leave a comment:

• max0x7ba
    replied
    Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    IF you LOVE Windows 10 then you are likely in love with DX12. But any developer who does their homework will realize that most gamers are running OLDER versions of Windows so it makes VERY LITTLE sense to develop DX12 for the game when only a %10-20 of their player base is going to see the improvements.
    Windows 10 has already become the dominant platform on Steam, 38% user base, see http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Leave a comment:

• Herem
    replied
    Take a look at this graph showing the number of game releases over the years by platform and you'll see that in the last 3 years there were about as many games released for Mac + Linux combined as Windows (ignore the 2015 numbers since they are incomplete):

http://imgur.com/gHLFbaM
    The number of released games on a platform is not really an indication of how popular that platform is with users. Also most of the games released on Linux are the same ones released on Mac so you're double counting the majority of the releases.
    Last edited by Herem; 11 April 2016, 11:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X