X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by liam View Post

Is only a total waste of money if both of these factors are met:
    1. Your game is demanding enough to require a dedicated engine
    2. Your in-house devs are actually unable to make a dedicated engine that is "meaningfully" better
    lol, i guess you really haven't looked at current game engines and what do they provide

1. even if you require something dedicated like some special rendering, you'll be better off by just modifying available source of the 2/3 big engines. your time will be cut by 99/100
    2. now, making something meaningfully better than for example UE4, that i would love to see. do you even know how much this encapsulates?

Comment

Originally posted by Herem View Post
      I think you're trying to paint an overly pessimistic picture of Microsoft's decline in market position in the gaming sector.
      They are still dominating the desktop gaming market though, Linux and Mac barely manage a few percent between them.
      That's not exactly true, although you may be lead to believe that by the Steam surveys. Take a look at this graph showing the number of game releases over the years by platform and you'll see that in the last 3 years there were about as many games released for Mac + Linux combined as Windows (ignore the 2015 numbers since they are incomplete):

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Does Star Citizen count? DOTA 2?
        Did I miss something? IIRC Chris Robers clearly said that they are supporting DX12 but he's interested in Vulkan.
        I expected DOTA 2 to be a day-1 release. Gabe should really spend some money again. Valve is not a great developer anymore, just earning money via steam. Plus, they seem to have "better" things to do currently with SteamVR...

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        UE4. free until 100k earned, then 5%. already has working vulkan, so far mobile
        Actually, Vulkan support is not really far in UE4. D3D12 (which MS seems to implement by themselves into UE) is much more mature.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Desktop gaming market is dominated by religious windows users. If they just knew that their os is from middle ages and better alternatives do exists, market would be different.
        You should really stop posting stuff like that when your standards are just too low (or you are just being ignorant, which is not better at all) to see the drawbacks.
        It has nothing to do with religion when there are facts. There is currently no better alternative for gaming, period.

Back to topic: Dr. Matthäus Chajdas (Developer Technology Engineer at AMD) made a nice presentation at GDC. Slides are on gpuopen: http://32ipi028l5q82yhj72224m8j.wpen...ns_learned.pdf
        Especially interesting from slide 1-15. He points out the state of current implementations and it's really easy to map Talos to stage 1 (or even state "0.75" as this used to have DX9, iirc), based on the statements from the developer. So everybody calm down, until we see "real" implementations

Comment

Originally posted by juno View Post
          Did I miss something? IIRC Chris Robers clearly said that they are supporting DX12 but he's interested in Vulkan.
          Previously he used to say that they will do DX12 first and then look into vulkan. But since vulkan was publicly released he started saying that there is a chance that they will actually do vulkan first if everything performs as expected. Also I think the fundamental cryengine refactoring work which they are currently doing to better align with modern graphics APIs would be common regardless of whether they go with vulkan or DX12.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

lol, i guess you really haven't looked at current game engines and what do they provide

1. even if you require something dedicated like some special rendering, you'll be better off by just modifying available source of the 2/3 big engines. your time will be cut by 99/100
            2. now, making something meaningfully better than for example UE4, that i would love to see. do you even know how much this encapsulates?
            Nah, there are plenty inhouse engines used by big studios/publishers
            EA, Frostbite
            Rockstar, RAGE
            Ubisoft, Anvil

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              Take a look at this graph showing the number of game releases over the years by platform and you'll see that in the last 3 years there were about as many games released for Mac + Linux combined as Windows (ignore the 2015 numbers since they are incomplete):

http://imgur.com/gHLFbaM
              The number of released games on a platform is not really an indication of how popular that platform is with users. Also most of the games released on Linux are the same ones released on Mac so you're double counting the majority of the releases.
              Last edited by Herem; 11 April 2016, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                IF you LOVE Windows 10 then you are likely in love with DX12. But any developer who does their homework will realize that most gamers are running OLDER versions of Windows so it makes VERY LITTLE sense to develop DX12 for the game when only a %10-20 of their player base is going to see the improvements.
                Windows 10 has already become the dominant platform on Steam, 38% user base, see http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/directx/

Comment

The number of released games on a platform is not really an indication of how popular that platform is worth users.
                  Sure, but there is some strong correlation, because no publisher would release games for a dead platform where there are no sales. Can you see where the Ouya stands on that graph?

Also most of the games released on Linux are the same ones released on Mac so you're double counting the majority of the releases.
                  That's not true at all. First you're reading the graph incorrectly. It doesn't list only exclusive releases by platform, but releases period. It doesn't matter if the game was first released on another platform or not, otherwise you could use that same argument for all cross-platform games: "nowadays Windows doesn't get any new games since they are all console releases first", and "Mac games are double counted since they are the same ones released on Windows" and the original Tomb Raider would be a Saturn game with the PS1 and PC releases "double counted".

Then there's the fact that there have been Mac games since the early 80's, even before Linux was invented, and even after that there are a lot of Mac exclusives. Also, the ones that aren't exclusives are usually released on Windows and the consoles of the time as well, so there are a lot of what you call "double counting" in all platforms. Not sure why you decided to treat Linux differently.

Comment

That's not true at all. First you're reading the graph incorrectly. It doesn't list only exclusive releases by platform, but releases period. It doesn't matter if the game was first released on another platform or not, otherwise you could use that same argument for all cross-platform games: "nowadays Windows doesn't get any new games since they are all console releases first", and "Mac games are double counted since they are the same ones released on Windows" and the original Tomb Raider would be a Saturn game with the PS1 and PC releases "double counted".

Then there's the fact that there have been Mac games since the early 80's, even before Linux was invented, and even after that there are a lot of Mac exclusives. Also, the ones that aren't exclusives are usually released on Windows and the consoles of the time as well, so there are a lot of what you call "double counting" in all platforms. Not sure why you decided to treat Linux differently.
                    I think I was reading the graph correctly, as that was exactly my point.

In your original mail you said 'there were about as many games released for Mac + Linux combined as Windows', as these games are predominantly cross platform you can't simply add together the releases of both platforms and say that combined they have the same number of games as Windows.

Comment

Sure, but there is some strong correlation, because no publisher would release games for a dead platform where there are no sales.
                      I'm sure there is a correlation.
                      But also the reason Linux gets so many games is because amongst the dev community there is a lot of goodwill towards linux from the individuals involved. In a lot of these companies there are enough individuals who want to support Linux (personally) and think it's the right thing to do and hope that the platform will get uplifted in the future etc.. That idealism is a big reason why we now get much more games than our 1% market share should justify. Of course that doesn't fly in every company (especially huge publishers) but in some devs that line of thinking plays a subliminal role.

Comment

Working...
                      X