Early Radeon Vulkan Windows vs. AMDGPU PRO Linux Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
    R9 Fury being only JUST faster then the GTX970.
    Typically on Windows the standard Fury (not Fury X) was only about 15% faster than a 970 at release. Looking at the two sets of results recorded here the Fury is about 10% faster on Vulkan than the 970, so the card is performing more or less as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Have any AAA Vulkan games been started?
      I don't even hear any of the devs talking about it.
      Chris Roberts is excited about potential Vulkan support. Mainly because it will make it easy for cross-platform support (Vulkan on PS4 would be awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Does Star Citizen count? DOTA 2?

How many AAA DX12 games had you heard about a year ago?
        I didn't realize Star Citizen was going Vulkan. That's good to know.

Otherwise, about a year ago all the devs out there were talking about DX12.

Comment

I didn't realize Star Citizen was going Vulkan. That's good to know.

Otherwise, about a year ago all the devs out there were talking about DX12.
          A year ago DX12 was the only one existing, so they didn't have much choice.

Currently, they are talking about supporting both, with the order in which support is added still up in the air. I suspect it may start with DX12 because it should be a little easier to port to - they can keep their HLSL shaders, some familiar DX stuff, etc. - and then add Vulkan support afterwards. But I'm not 100% sure of that - they may decide to just dive into Vulkan and skip DX12 entirely, since they definitely want to support it for Linux and Windows 7.

Actually, they just discussed this a bit and said they were starting out by throwing away all the DX9 support in CryEngine. They said the whole engine was basically designed around DX9 and that DX11 had just kind of been bolted on top, and that once they got rid of that baggage they'd be able to start doing a lot of prep work/threading in DX11 to help prepare for DX12 and Vulkan.

Ashes of the Singularity is another game that is working on Vulkan support. I think it's considered AAA, right? I actually don't know a lot about it, except that it was the DX12 launch benchmark title.
          Last edited by smitty3268; 09 April 2016, 10:57 PM.

Comment

MS no longer has an iron grip on the gaming market anymore. XB1 is losing to PS4 and PC, and Windows isn't as strong against Mac, Linux, and tablet OSes (not just for games but in general). Considering how many platforms are readily available in every household, DX12 is not a good option for developers to focus on. One of the reasons Vulkan was made instead of OGL5 is to help make it easier for developers to adopt, so really, what do developers gain by going for DX12?

Anyway, it's great to see the open source drivers are holding up so well. This seems very promising for the future.
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 09 April 2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

[snip]
              But most AAA games do their own thing...
              Is that really the case, in general, and specifically the case with regards to dx12/vulkan?
              I genuinely don't know, and am not sure how to easily find the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Anyway, it's great to see the open source drivers are holding up so well. This seems very promising for the future.
                The userland is not open-source (yet)

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

this is only valid for those who write their own engines. when you use bigger engine, API support comes by it self since you target engine api that abstracts renderers under the hood. and there is a fact that with how cheap engines are now, it is total waste of money to write your own.
                  Is only a total waste of money if both of these factors are met:
                  1. Your game is demanding enough to require a dedicated engine
                  2. Your in-house devs are actually unable to make a dedicated engine that is "meaningfully" better

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    MS no longer has an iron grip on the gaming market anymore. XB1 is losing to PS4 and PC, and Windows isn't as strong against Mac, Linux, and tablet OSes (not just for games but in general).
                    I think you're trying to paint an overly pessimistic picture of Microsoft's decline in market position in the gaming sector.

MS never had an iron grip on the console market, so other than losing some market share to Sony not a lot has changed. They are still dominating the desktop gaming market though, Linux and Mac barely manage a few percent between them.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post

Is only a total waste of money if both of these factors are met:
                      1. Your game is demanding enough to require a dedicated engine
                      2. Your in-house devs are actually unable to make a dedicated engine that is "meaningfully" better
                      lol, i guess you really haven't looked at current game engines and what do they provide

1. even if you require something dedicated like some special rendering, you'll be better off by just modifying available source of the 2/3 big engines. your time will be cut by 99/100
                      2. now, making something meaningfully better than for example UE4, that i would love to see. do you even know how much this encapsulates?

Comment

Working...
                      X