No announcement yet.

New AMD Radeon "Polaris" GPU Details Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am surprised about the lots of negative energy here. Quite a lot of prejudice also.
    Anyway; I'll look forward to this technology - and it would be interesting to see that one stacked upon a CPU for an APU.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post
      I wonder if Intel's decision to not do Iris Pro on consumer 6th gen desktop CPUs will help AMD's cause.... or is there some kind of major flaw in Iris Pro I haven't heard of.
      I think there will be Iris Pro on the desktop, but it will come later (just like Broadwell). After all, the mobile Iris Pro parts are only announced and not available yet. My guess is intel is either rolling them out like they did with Broadwell or (less likely) they'll do a full-lineup with Kaby Lake.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
        The 'so called' NEW revolutionary AMD drivers (the semi-closed ones yet to be out) we are meant to be getting once Vulkan API comes out, will wrap OpenGL through the Vulkan drivers for better performance. I will believe this when it happens however!
        Just curious, who is saying (a) that the new drivers will be "revolutionary" (whatever the heck that means), and (b) that we'll be wrapping OpenGL through the Vulkan drivers ? To the best of my knowledge we have not said either.

Last edited by bridgman; 05 January 2016, 06:46 AM.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          I am surprised about the lots of negative energy here. Quite a lot of prejudice also.
          The negative energy may partially come from the fact that the Linux version of Bioshock Infinite runs barely at 60 FPS on lowest settings, while the Windows version runs nicely at 60 FPS on ultra settings. The AMD GPU is the same in both cases. Catalyst drivers vs Windows drivers.

Everybody is waiting to see how AMD's Vulkan Linux drivers turn out to perform on GCN 1.0-1.3 GPUs. To my knowledge, there are no performance numbers available yet so nobody knows whether the performance ratio between Linux and Windows Vulkan will be 1:1 or 1:10.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

Just curious, who is saying (a) that the new drivers will be "revolutionary" (whatever the heck that means), and (b) that we'll be wrapping OpenGL through the Vulkan drivers ? To the best of my knowledge we have not said either.

Haha, perfect use of that comic. A like for you, well deserved

Comment

Go, AMD, go! And do not forget HIGH QUALITY DRIVERS. Or else this epic thing can turn out to be less epic than it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                What do you mean "about time"? It's been known for a while that AMD's next gen will be built by Samsung (14nm) and Nvidia's will be built by TSMC (16nm). 28nm has been with us for too long.
                I said it's about time it was confirmed and not just speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  However, you know that Nvidia at 14nm will outperform AMD at 14nm
                  you pulled that straight out of your ass

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                    The important question to be asked here is how many of these features and functionality will actually reach Linux users within 2016?
                    infinitely more than nvidia's

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
                      I really doubt the performance-per-Watt will improve for us Linux users at all.
                      they will release special 28nm version for you poor linux users?

Comment

Working...
                      X