New AMD Radeon "Polaris" GPU Details Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shmerl View Post

Where exactly did they publish those details?
    on youtube

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
      Take a look at the Intel Skylake CPUs. I too used to think that dropping to a lower die-size would help reduce power usage, and decrease TDP. However, it's not always the case. The new Skylakes run at 95 TDPs whilst my older 4770k runs at only 84 TDP.
      it seems you didn't understand first word of performance-per-watt. and btw 4770k is not 28nm

Comment

To my understanding, the part about 4K HEVC/H.265 encode/decode support relates directly to VCE. We don't have any support for this currently on Linux (I believe there are parts of VCE support in the Mesa driver, but seemingly insufficient to be usable as FFMPEG still doesn't support it). Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.
        decode is perfectly accelerated - mplayer takes around 3% of cpu on 1080p
        i never encoded video, but it should be supported by gst-omx

Comment

Both the Crimson driver and RadeonSI need performance tuning attention, not PR powerpoint slide hype.
          attention needs developers
          developers need salaries
          salaries need sales
          sales need hype

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            Is it known that it will be built by Samsung i think GlobalFoundries would fell more AMD to me.
            samsung and gf have shared process

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
              But why a 4th generation of GCN instead of making a new architecture? Games never ended up using GPU physics and people no longer do bitcoin mining on video cards either. They could just drop the generic computing mindset and go back to make dedicated hardware for 3D graphics, This is why video cards were invented in the first place.
              what are you smoking? several linux games are not supported by mesa due to lack of compute shaders

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                When DX12 is actually being used, Nvidia will develop a driver that is geared towards that technology.
                it is hardware issue, you will have to buy new card

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
                  The negative energy may partially come from the fact that the Linux version of Bioshock Infinite runs barely at 60 FPS on lowest settings, while the Windows version runs nicely at 60 FPS on ultra settings. The AMD GPU is the same in both cases. Catalyst drivers vs Windows drivers.
                  wrong
                  they are two different games
                  good game vs shitty game
                  find opengl game and compare it linux vs windows if you want to test same game on same hardware with different drivers

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    wrong
                    they are two different games
                    good game vs shitty game
                    find opengl game and compare it linux vs windows if you want to test same game on same hardware with different drivers
                    Your style of replies in Phoronix forums puts you in the lower half of world population. Please change that, over time. Unless the lower half is where you really want to stay.

Thank you for considering it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      samsung and gf have shared process
                      I read that GlobalFoundries licensed Samsungs 14nm FinFET process but as far as i know GF is still it's own company with it's own customers.
                      The GF produced units still wouldn't be built by Samsung.

Comment

Working...
                      X