New AMD Radeon "Polaris" GPU Details Revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
    Is it known that it will be built by Samsung i think GlobalFoundries would fell more AMD to me.
    Samsung might have better capacity.
    Yeah, actually AMD has said they are splitting them between TSMC and GlobalFoundries.

TSMC 16nm process, and GlobalFoundries using the 14nm FinFET that they licensed from Samsung.

Sounds like the GF cards are probably coming out first, since that's what they demoed here.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post

Your style of replies in Phoronix forums puts you in the lower half of world population. Please change that, over time. Unless the lower half is where you really want to stay.

Thank you for considering it.
      Thank you for saying it. These types of multiple-replies in a row should be considered spam.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
      infinitely more than nvidia's
      I'd like a source for that, thanks.

[QUOTE]they will release special 28nm version for you poor linux users?{/QUOTE]
      it seems you didn't understand first word of performance-per-watt. and btw 4770k is not 28nm
      I'm not sure where you're getting the 28nm from. I sincerely wrote 22nm. I think you might be mistaking my posts with another poster's. Also, this is a Linux forum mate. We love Linux here. Probably best for you not to visit if it's not your platform of choice.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post

We have supported VCE-based video encode on Linux for a while now via OpenMAX on gstreamer.
      Thank you for the information and correction. I am having a bit of a hard time trying to find information on this (a few phoronix articles and a wikipedia page). It's not mentioned at all on the official AMD VCE page or their Media SDK page.

What can this currently be used for? Is it only functional for video playback currently? Or are more challenging things like recording the desktop possible? Is this a Mesa driver-only implementation or does the proprietary driver have functional VCE support as well?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
        ... VP9 is a proprietary Google format. Of course supporting it is better than not supporting it, but lack of VP9 is not a drama IMO. ...
        Lack of YouTube is not a drama?

Comment

drSeehas YouTube provides their videos in H.264 too. And even if VP9 becomes necessary to watch YouTube one day, a HSA GPU offloading decoder could be written.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
            drSeehas YouTube provides their videos in H.264 too. And even if VP9 becomes necessary to watch YouTube one day, a HSA GPU offloading decoder could be written.
            Wat? no no no, YouTube supports uploads of H.264, but it converts all uploaded contents to the VP9 codec, it's been doing that for a looooooooooong time (probably ever since VP9's release, and before that they did the same with VP8). What would be the point of google developing VP9 if they weren't gonna use it themselves?

And isn't the whole point of VP9 anyways to be better geared towards streaming than H.264 and H.265?

Just go on youtube , play any video, right click it and select "Stats for nerds" and you will see this: Mime Type:video/webm; codecs="vp9"

But I don't see a problem with no VP9 decoding support in polaris, it will probably be added no doubt, but even without it, you don't really need hardware decoding for it, software decoding is good enough if you have a powerful processor (which I assume you will if you have the latest generation of graphics cards, aren't bad processors falling out of fashion to begin with?)
            Last edited by rabcor; 07 January 2016, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sabun View Post
              What can this currently be used for? Is it only functional for video playback currently? Or are more challenging things like recording the desktop possible? Is this a Mesa driver-only implementation or does the proprietary driver have functional VCE support as well?
              UVD would be used for video decoding (e.g., playback). VCE is for video encoding (e.g., generating a compressed video stream). It can be used for just about anything you can build a gstreamer pipeline for: transcoding, generating an H.264 stream from raw video, etc. The closed source catalyst Linux driver does not support VCE.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                Wat? no no no, YouTube supports uploads of H.264, but it converts all uploaded contents to the VP9 codec, it's been doing that for a looooooooooong time (probably ever since VP9's release, and before that they did the same with VP8).
                Lots of devices don't support VP9. This is why every YouTube video is available in a multitude of formats. I dare you name a video which is available in VP9 but not in H.264.
                Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                What would be the point of google developing VP9 if they weren't gonna use it themselves?
                Oh, they are. They are just not excluding the other formats.

Comment

@pal666

1080p is a joke. Try HEVC 10 bit @ 4k.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post

I read that GlobalFoundries licensed Samsungs 14nm FinFET process but as far as i know GF is still it's own company with it's own customers.
                    The GF produced units still wouldn't be built by Samsung.
                    you didn't get it. design created for samsung will be produceable without changes on gf and vice versa. or on both at the same time. it will not require redesign as it is with other processes

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol View Post
                      Your style of replies in Phoronix forums puts you in the lower half of world population.
                      imbecile, where is your style ladder?

Comment

Working...
                      X