Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    I dare to disagree. All APU's currently have a major problem, the memory bandwidth. The only Intel APU that performs okish is the ones with integrated eDRAM. The fact is that almost ALL Intel gpus can't even run a desktop confortably. The first second the GPU needs to touch memory it's screwed.
    can?t run a desktop? lol and the memory bandwitch will be a less problem with ddr4. intel igpu or amd apu have power enough for most of ppl out there

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      The fact is that almost ALL Intel gpus can't even run a desktop confortably.
      The fact? I thought intel has best optimized driver for Desktop, but maybe i am wrongly informed

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
        can?t run a desktop? lol and the memory bandwitch will be a less problem with ddr4. intel igpu or amd apu have power enough for most of ppl out there
        I was always surprised we didn't see quad channel ddr3 for APU's but then a new idea came which makes ddr3/ddr4 more realistic as a medium and that's the memory compression for gpu's. That being said I'm not sure how long before 2.5d ram makes it all somewhat irrelevant a point anyhow. however these APU's are very starved ATM.

I didn't really think about skybridge (even tho someone said skylake which is intel so?) when i read this but after it was said i started thinking about it a bit. I don't think that's the case but I am hoping to be wrong on that as I would love some new AMD goodness. Zen/skybridge would be sweet as my 8350 isn't getting any newer. Of course with mantle/vulkan my cpu maybe strong enough for years to come... this is an interesting time.

Comment

>Flash on ARM

Has anybody heard something from gnash or lightspark the last 1.5 years?

Mediatek

I hope I wasn't putting up my hopes too early.
          Fairphone bereitet die zweite Version seines möglichst nachhaltigen Smartphones vor. Wir sprachen mit Technikchef Olivier Hebert über die technischen Details, alternative Betriebssysteme und warum es beim ersten Fairphone Probleme mit den Updates gab.

(German)
          Basically it says the people at Fairphone (a sustainable cellphone made under fair trade conditions and so on, conflict free metals etc.) had severe problems with the updates since cooperation with MediaTek esp. regarding sources was problematic. So either MediaTek sucks or they were bound themselves by 3rd pary "IP" stuff.

Here is also a good read fromt somebody who appears to be hacking on Android / Android Kernel. And the very problems with various vendors, including MediaTek. It's also German but maybe one can throw it through a translator to obtain the essence.
          News und Foren zu Computer, IT, Wissenschaft, Medien und Politik. Preisvergleich von Hardware und Software sowie Downloads bei Heise Medien.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldu...r-2570757.html
            (German)
            Basically it says the people at Fairphone (a sustainable cellphone made under fair trade conditions and so on, conflict free metals etc.) had severe problems with the updates since cooperation with MediaTek esp. regarding sources was problematic. So either MediaTek sucks or they were bound themselves by 3rd pary "IP" stuff.
            There's also a blog post from the fsfe: https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=802

I bought a fairphone in the hope that they actually had a plan to work with mediatek. Turns out they didn't...

Comment

>Flash on ARM

Mediatek

I hope I wasn't putting up my hopes too early.
              Fairphone bereitet die zweite Version seines möglichst nachhaltigen Smartphones vor. Wir sprachen mit Technikchef Olivier Hebert über die technischen Details, alternative Betriebssysteme und warum es beim ersten Fairphone Probleme mit den Updates gab.

(German)

Here is also a good read fromt somebody who appears to be hacking on Android / Android Kernel. And the very problems with various vendors, including MediaTek. It's also German but maybe one can throw it through a translator to obtain the essence.
              http://www.heise.de/newsticker/foren...26599756/read/
              Flash is in its deathbed anyway already, same as Silverlight.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                Flash is in its deathbed anyway already, same as Silverlight.
                I wish it was. But there are still a lot of sites that hide content in flash. Some even use it for navigation (!). The problem is you can't always say "hey, then I won't use that site" because sometimes you actually might need the content. :/

Originally posted by haagch
                fsfe blog
                Yep, sadly they didn't take a close look on HW vendors as it seems in that aspect. Or they were really expecting more than what was realistic.
                I saw at least one attempt that followed the OpenMoko phone but they started with something that used an ImgTec chipset, so it was stillborn from the start. *shrugs* I wonder why people still tried that way. But okay, at that time there was barely much of an alternative that was better.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                  The fact? I thought intel has best optimized driver for Desktop, but maybe i am wrongly informed
                  I don't know who informed you but I can only tell you this:
                  Intel rocks at plain desktop. Even an i915 runs circles around my R9-270 with fglrx drivers.
                  Otoh: even my Exynos 5420 runs circles around my R9-270 when it comes to desktop performance.
                  Things turn around when I start important 3D applications like GTA IV, then my R9-270 is faster ;-).
                  Anyway: high end graphics cards suck at desktop performance unless you enable compositing, which actually means that the cpu does most of the rendering offscreen, and then blits that to the screen.

Comment

>Flash on ARM

Gnash and Lightspark are not going to become acceptable replacements for Flash any time soon. The only project which could achieve this is Shumway, and even that still has a long way to go.

Flash on ARM is however already working in Chromebooks, and if you extract the PPAPI flash plugin from ChromeOS it works with Chromium on any other ARM distro.

Comment

Originally posted by Ardje View Post
                      Intel rocks at plain desktop. Even an i915 runs circles around my R9-270 with fglrx drivers.
                      Non-compositing desktops are a thing of the past. And an i915 (or i945, whatever came with the first generation Atoms) can not handle kwin with compositing enabled. The Ivy Bridge I'm currently using right now is ok, though it used to be quite buggy until recently.

This whole myth of Intel being the best for desktop usage might be true when comparing it with the blobs, but the radeon driver is just as good for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X