Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces The Radeon RX 7700 XT & RX 7800 XT Graphics Cards

Phoronix: AMD Announces The Radeon RX 7700 XT & RX 7800 XT Graphics Cards

AMD used the Gamescom gaming conference in Cologne, Germany for announcing the Radeon RX 7700 XT and Radeon RX 7800 XT graphics cards as the newest consumer cards in the RDNA3 family.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

FSR3 (AMD Fluid Motion Frames interpolation technology) has been announced. On launch it will be supported by two games, "Forspoken" and "Immortals of Aveum", with many more games coming later. FSR3 will feature an alternative to DLAA (a temporal antialiasing method).

As part of our AMD FidelityFX technology suite of features and technologies for developers, AMD FSR 3 will be an open-source technology, freely available for developers on GPUOpen.com in the near future and supported on a wide range of products and platforms, including consoles. FSR 3 will also be joining the AMD FidelityFX SDK alongside the other AMD FidelityFX technologies available on GPUOpen.com.
    Supported and Recommended Hardware for using AMD FSR 3
    with Upscaling and Frame Generation
    AMD NVIDIA
    Supported:
    AMD Radeon™ RX 5700 and above

Recommended:
    AMD Radeon™ RX 6000 Series and above
    Supported:
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 20 Series and above

Recommended:
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX™ 30 Series and above
    So, Pascal is not supported as well as castrated Turing (1650/1660). Sigh.
    Last edited by avis; 25 August 2023, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      So, Pascal is not supported as well as castrated Turing (1650/1660). Sigh.
      The castrated 1650 and 1660 are GTX cards, not RTX. They never had support for DLSS and if they did support FSR1 and 2, experience would be rather crap without RT cores. I have a GTX1650 Super, it's not very good, but I wasn't expecting much out of it.

Comment

I just hope that AMD has stopped with its cheaping out quest and kept full 16 pci lanes on 7700 xt. So far I wasn't able to find any information about it.

Edit: Seems like it's still x16.
        Last edited by user1; 25 August 2023, 12:50 PM.

Comment

If FSR3 needs game support it'll be a decade before enough games support it for anyone but the most niche gamer to care. Raytracing is still on my do not care list and it will be for a long time.

Comment

Availability on these graphics cards is slated for 6 September. The pricing on the Radeon RX 7800 XT will come in around $499 USD while the Radeon RX 7700 XT has an SEP of $449 USD. With just a $50 difference for SEP pricing, the Radeon RX 7800 XT will likely provide much greater value but we'll see how the actual retail pricing and availability is come September
            Good pricing but small difference what amounts to 5-15% difference in perf depending on use case (shoot-from-hip estimating based on released specs). I mean at this price range if you can spend $450 on a new GPU you can spend $500. Its like..mid range vs mid range plus on a luxury item. I get some people either don't or can't afford access to new GPUs but anyone I know who has $450 to blow on a gaming-oriented GPU has $500 to blow...especially if they have a PCIe 4/5 motherboard and new enough CPU to drive the tweaks needed for full speed.

Will be interested to see benchmarks when they arrive and how this stacks up against the 6[78]00 series. And availability when its shipping...

Comment

So for about the same amount of money as my current 5700 XT, the 7800 XT runs about twice as fast with twice the VRAM 4 years later, I suppose that this can be called progress. Still, if there is anything that I've learned is that there is never enough GPU power and it's always better to get more so your card lasts longer. I only game at 1080p/60 and if I had gone with something like a 5600 XT or RTX 2060 which everyone recommended, I would already be searching for an upgrade. Instead, my so-called overkill 5700 XT continues to soldier on at this resolution and still delivers 60 fps at max settings for the most part.

I will hold myself over until the 8900 XTX which will then be the final upgrade to this Ryzen 5950x PC, and will provide a great 4K/60 experience to go with a new monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by rob-tech View Post
                I will hold myself over until the 8900 XTX which will then be the final upgrade to this Ryzen 5950x PC, and will provide a great 4K/60 experience to go with a new monitor.
                You'll be limited by PCIe generation and etc by that point. They'll probably have a fancy new thing like SAMv2 or something too. Feels like tech is moving faster again than it has since the late 1990s.

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post

Good pricing but small difference what amounts to 5-15% difference in perf depending on use case (shoot-from-hip estimating based on released specs). I mean at this price range if you can spend $450 on a new GPU you can spend $500. Its like..mid range vs mid range plus on a luxury item. I get some people either don't or can't afford access to new GPUs but anyone I know who has $450 to blow on a gaming-oriented GPU has $500 to blow...especially if they have a PCIe 4/5 motherboard and new enough CPU to drive the tweaks needed for full speed.

Will be interested to see benchmarks when they arrive and how this stacks up against the 6[78]00 series. And availability when its shipping...
                  Yes, absolutely. The 7700 will be discounted shortly, price is only to upsell the 7800. Which makes a lot more sense anyway because 16G ram is a lot more future proof at this stage (not really 2 years ago but things are moving fast). I don't like that the 7700XT has a higher TDP than the 6700XT personally, I'll keep mine and pass on this gen, I'd like the same perf for 180W or something like that.

Comment

Michael Typo

The Radeon RX 800 XT carries a slightly higher board power rating of 263 Watts.
                    ...Radeon RX 7800 XT...

German prices:

489 €
                    549 €
                    Last edited by nuetzel; 25 August 2023, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X