No announcement yet.

Intel Outlines Arc A750 Graphics Card For $289, More Arc Graphics Details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My gut tells me these Intel Arc GPU's are going to sell like hot cakes.

Just ate some baked beans... so how can I be wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
      ... But since I am a gamer ...
      If one is a serious gamer the general consensus is that one will have to be very careful to review benchmarks in the game(s) you care about, as the results seem to vary greatly based on the specifics of the games use of GPU capabilities. Given such a "it depends" answer, some will choose to wait a bit until *their* game works well, while others will jump at the capabilities and pricing available at launch.

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        Oh yes, SR-IOV would be an awesome bonus if they would implement that!
        Just another vendor product line differentiator (practiced by basically everyone) to maximize revenue by intentionally restricting features on consumer targeted SKUs. The rationale is well known, but for those that want to dip one's toe into the higher end corporate world without paying the full price, it is certainly disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Just another vendor product line differentiator (practiced by basically everyone) to maximize revenue by intentionally restricting features on consumer targeted SKUs. The rationale is well known, but for those that want to dip one's toe into the higher end corporate world without paying the full price, it is certainly disappointing.
          Agreed... but love them or hate them at least Nvidia stopped actively hosing GPU passthrough recently. So its a step in the right direction!

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
            If they had implemented SRV-IOV in any of their cards even with limited capacity of 1 or 2 partitions (understandably to not cannibalise their high end data centre stuff) I would have bought two ARC cards the very second I could find them.

IMHO big failed opportunity this could have been the big differentiator. Almost anybody with a ESXI or KVM rig at home would have bought ARC cards without thinking twice had they come with SRV-IOV support.
            Yup, if they had implemented SR-IOV in a way that was gimped enough for the real enterprise crowd to not be interested, but "good enough" for the home lab / hobbyist crew, that would have been epic. 16GB is a lot of VRAM for $350.

Comment

This A750 doesn't look too shabby hardware wise. It isn't too cut down. You still get the basic goodness of x16 lanes / 256-bit bus width / 3x DP 2.0 | 1 x HDMI 2.1, etc. And we are getting closer to upper midrange pricing from a decade ago. It was just January of this year when AMD essentially took a dump on the gaming community by re-purposing laptop GPUs into that POS RX 6500 XT with 4GB VRAM / x4 lanes / 64-bit bus width and two display outputs for $200.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
                If they had implemented SRV-IOV in any of their cards even with limited capacity of 1 or 2 partitions (understandably to not cannibalise their high end data centre stuff) I would have bought two ARC cards the very second I could find them.

IMHO big failed opportunity this could have been the big differentiator. Almost anybody with a ESXI or KVM rig at home would have bought ARC cards without thinking twice had they come with SRV-IOV support.
                Isn't Intel's XenGT (and I think they have similar for KVM now) enough for home stuff?

Comment

Honestly, I see these prices as a win if you are in the market for AV1 encoders for media servers. I don't know if Plex supports it yet, but I am sure it will eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
                    Just another vendor product line differentiator (practiced by basically everyone) to maximize revenue by intentionally restricting features on consumer targeted SKUs.
                    Well, they don't list the feature on any of the Pro versions so far announced. It's hard to have something that's a point of product differentiation, if you don't even tell your customers about it.
                    I don't see it in the specs of their datacenter products, either:
                    Last edited by coder; 30 September 2022, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
                      It was just January of this year when AMD essentially took a dump on the gaming community by re-purposing laptop GPUs into that POS RX 6500 XT with 4GB VRAM / x4 lanes / 64-bit bus width and two display outputs for $200.
                      That's one way to look at it. Another way is that it's a dGPU for less money than you could get otherwise, at the time. For a lot of non-gaming uses, it was more than enough. There have always been basic GPUs costing less than any models you'd really want for gaming (e.g. GTX 1030, RX 550, etc.).

Also, it's misleading to call it simply a 64-bit bus. Thanks to Infinity Cache, AMD gets more performance out of that bus than Intel gets from the 96-bit bus of the A380.

Comment

Working...
                      X